Newbie In Cyprus

ojays

Hi the names Gregg (ojays) I Now live and work in Cyprus.

Had my own Garage/Paint/Bodyshop in the UK. Got fed up with all the H/S and EE legislation making it unprofitable, (as a one man band) and no longer willing to put up with all that went with it.

I was involved in building kit cars/customising/restoring/race chassis/trick painting + much more and loved my work, unfortunately desk bound pen pushers in another country dictate what we can and can't do. (rant over)

My interests are many, and my photo collection goes back to the 60's mainly aviation, but most things with noisy oily forms of propulsion interest me. Since coming out to Cyprus 4 years ago I have been wandering around cataloguing all the old abandoned vehicles laying around.

From 40's cars/tractors/buses to some of the ex military vehicles I have been posting on this forum. Unfortunately there are few opportunities to photograph my faves (aircraft) although I have found a few relics here and there. For some reason:shocked: LOL people seem to get quite agitated when They see a camera near these.!!!!!

I hope you enjoy the pics I will be putting on this site.

Ojays:)

Edited by ojays

Hi Greg,

I've just moved from Cyprus were I spent a couple of years as a recovery mechanic, had a great time and I've seen quite a few of the vehicles you've posted on here, as I lived in Akrotiri I got to see and photograph a lot of the aircraft that people get twitchy about. I've been away from the Island about 6 weeks now and miss the weather, your very lucky to be living out there now and I'm a slightly bit jealous:-(

Hi Ojays.

I too lived in Cyprus for one year, back in 1999. I was stationed at Nicosia International Airport better known as Blue Berret Camp when I was detatched to the United Nations for a year. I was lucky enough to have free reign in the De Mil zones and saw lots of sights that no one else gets to see. I spent 6 months as the SQMS driver and then 6 months as the Postie driver and cover for the HQ Brit Con Commander and the UN High Commissioner drivers.

Cyprus back then was still a closed country in the North for most people, but we were free to cross the border and explore the sights. It's a lovely country and I loved every minute of it. Back then it was still the Cypriot pound and fuel was VERY, VERY cheap at 11 pence a litre (you could fill up a LWB Shogun from empty for a fiver!!!)

What is the situation like now, is it still an independent country (If your in the North it's still going to be as it was) in the South or has the dreaded EU jackboot made it's mark? Do they still have those cash payment boxes in the fuel stations?

Welcome aboard!

The North was a great place to visit and me and the family had a few nice holiday's in Kyrenia, absolutely lovely you just couldn't beat sitting in a restaurant in the old harbour late evening watching the sun go down with a nice Meze and a cold beer.

Climbing up to St Hilarion castle was hard work but the sights from the top are unbelievable as you can see miles upon miles of the Northern Cyprus coastline. Oh happy days and I only left 6 weeks ago.:-(

• 8 months later...

Hi thought id ask the question on the subject of cyprus , if you move out there permantly are you allowed to have your own privately owned military vehicles ? or is this a definate no because of the tensions ! Ive been to cyprus a few times and absolutley loved the place and often think about moving out there so has anyone got any advice about whether this is possible .

cheers

Hi thought id ask the question on the subject of cyprus , if you move out there permantly are you allowed to have your own privately owned military vehicles ? or is this a definate no because of the tensions ! Ive been to cyprus a few times and absolutley loved the place and often think about moving out there so has anyone got any advice about whether this is possible .

cheers

I thought about bring my Abbott over when I came over - wanted to open a bar and park it outside, now in Hine sight don't think it would be allowed, there are a few ex - service land rovers, and a few ex - UN trucks running around or parked up these include Laplander, Kras, Volvo, Hino and Bedford's trucks to name but a few.

• 1 year later...
I thought about bring my Abbott over when I came over - wanted to open a bar and park it outside, now in Hine sight don't think it would be allowed, there are a few ex - service land rovers, and a few ex - UN trucks running around or parked up these include Laplander, Kras, Volvo, Hino and Bedford's trucks to name but a few.

Unfortunately a definite no-no. Only military vehicles allowed are cypriot/UN (British as in RAF/Army):-(

Hi Ojays.

I too lived in Cyprus for one year, back in 1999. I was stationed at Nicosia International Airport better known as Blue Berret Camp when I was detatched to the United Nations for a year. I was lucky enough to have free reign in the De Mil zones and saw lots of sights that no one else gets to see. I spent 6 months as the SQMS driver and then 6 months as the Postie driver and cover for the HQ Brit Con Commander and the UN High Commissioner drivers.

Cyprus back then was still a closed country in the North for most people, but we were free to cross the border and explore the sights. It's a lovely country and I loved every minute of it. Back then it was still the Cypriot pound and fuel was VERY, VERY cheap at 11 pence a litre (you could fill up a LWB Shogun from empty for a fiver!!!)

What is the situation like now, is it still an independent country (If your in the North it's still going to be as it was) in the South or has the dreaded EU jackboot made it's mark? Do they still have those cash payment boxes in the fuel stations?

Welcome aboard!

Unfortunately the Euro has just about killed everything off. All basics are so expensive yet salaries are the same or even being reduced due to the economic climate.

It is very easy to go over to the north side now with very few restirictions other than buying stuff over there. The Cypriots search and remove anything they deem contra-band. You can still buy petrol at the automatic cash machines when the garages are closed.

We have now returned to the UK as for various reasons we could no longer afford to live there any more.

We will miss Cyprus but it has changed so much over the last 6 years, most of it not good!:(

Unfortunately a definite no-no. Only military vehicles allowed are cypriot/UN (British as in RAF/Army):-(

This is not completely true, I have a friend who has awillys jeep in military colours (running around the island and there are someex military land rovers also running around. the 2 dealers on the old road fromOrmidia to Napa both sell ex military landys..

Unfortunatelythe Euro has just about killed everything off. All basics are so expensive yetsalaries are the same or even being reduced due to the economic climate.

It is very easy to go over to the north side now with very few restrictionsother than buying stuff over there. The Cypriots search and remove anythingthey deem contra-band. You can still buy petrol at the automatic cash machineswhen the garages are closed.

We have now returned to the UK as for various reasons we could no longer affordto live there anymore.

We will miss Cyprus but it has changed so much over the last 6 years, most ofit not good!

Not everything is that expensive compared to the uk;

take council/poll tax for 1 in uk I had to pay £120 per month 6 years back hereI pay that a year,

my car tax is cheaper than the uk,

my heating bill is a lot less than the UK,

my water is so cheap around 20e for 3 months,

various restaurants still offer very good value for money (ok tourist areas arenot always cheap but then what holiday place is), and so on....

local produce can still be purchased at a reasonable price

ok things are bad if you are relying on the sterling to be converted to the euro to live here, but that would be the same for any country you were living in and needing the euro conversion..