Foden Wrecker

Just a few of my pics. The following pictures were all taken in 2009, They were all part in Ex Recovery Anvil. The Regiment is 6BN CS REME based in Tidworth, along with the four Fodens were two Warrior RVs, four CRARRVs and a mix of Toyota pick-ups and Land Rovers. The whole Ex is based around the next step for the rookies, after all the class room work is done they then move into the field. We spent three days with the guys as they went through the different recovery procedures for the different vehicles. The recovery aids ranged from your bog standard 110 LR right throught to the more heavier Cheiftain MBT, CHARV, Centurion ARV, CVR(T)s and Trucks. What you see in the pictures are the training aid team placing the wrecks in there recovery positions. There were about ten different types of recovery for the guys to get there teeth into. Sunken FV432, Cheiftain on its turret, CHARV tipped in ditchs and many more.

BN211.jpg

BN203.jpg

BN204.jpg

GD14.jpg

GD25.jpg

GD114.jpg

GD119.jpg

GD149.jpg

GD136.jpg

GD158.jpg

GD166.jpg

Edited by plainmilitary

hi i wonder if you can help me with some information, a few years ago we were at a show and the army were demonstrating the winching and underlift equipment, i asked the sergeant in charge about the tiny rear axles on the foden and he told me that this type of foden was illegal to use by civilians on the road, with the weight of the crane and eka underlift the axles were already overloaded before lifting anything on the back. i wonder if you can confirm this, as several civilian companies run these vehicles for recovery purposes. all the best tony g.

hi i wonder if you can help me with some information, a few years ago we were at a show and the army were demonstrating the winching and underlift equipment, i asked the sergeant in charge about the tiny rear axles on the foden and he told me that this type of foden was illegal to use by civilians on the road, with the weight of the crane and eka underlift the axles were already overloaded before lifting anything on the back. i wonder if you can confirm this, as several civilian companies run these vehicles for recovery purposes. all the best tony g.

Hi Tony,

I can give you the specification for the axles on the Foden Recovery,

Front axles; GKN 10 ton hypoid steer drive SD66 with cross axle diff lock.

Rear bogie axles; GKN 20 ton hypoid type D66 with lockable inter axle diff and cross axle diff locks on each axle. Epicyclic hub reduction

the above is from the sales brochure, but on looking at the army workshop manual, slight change in details;

Front axle; Kirkstall SD65

Rear axles; Kirkstall D65

all rated at 10 tonnes, which means the brochure was stating 20 tonnes per bogie and not each axle.

Front axle weight 8.8 tons

Centre axle weight 8.8 tons

Rear axle weight 9.4 tons

total vehicle weight 27 tons

with folding EKA boom in retracted postion, a max suspended/supported load for towing of 8 tons.

It is some few years since I was involved with these vehicles now, so I am only stating details as known at the time.

more from the sales brochure;

Designed chassis ratings

Front axle 10,160 kgs

Rear bogie 20,320 kgs

GVW 30,480 kgs

Edited by Richard Farrant
more info

A Road Recovery Vehicle running under special types has to comply with C and U regs 1986 apart from the some exemptions.

The relevant exemptions are Max permitted laden weight, Maximum permitted wheel and Axle weights, Maximum permitted weight for closely spaced axles.

The recovery vehicle only has to comply with Road Vehicles (authorised weight) Regs 1998 in terms of max gross weight. For a three axle Recovery such as the Foden the Maximum Gross Weight cannot exceed 36 Tonnes.

For a four axle wrecker such as the MAN the Maximum Gross Weight which cannot be exceeded under special types Road Recovery Vehicle is 50 Tonnes.

Edited by antarmike

For a three axle Recovery such as the Foden the Maximum Gross Weight cannot exceed 36 Tonnes.

For a four axle wrecker such as the MAN the Maximum Gross Weight which cannot be exceeded under special types Road Recovery Vehicle is 50 Tonnes.

As the Foden axles are only rated at 10t each, the max would be 30t:cool2:. With a suspended tow there would be far less than 10t on the front axle and if you do the sums you will find the Foden has a very low legal suspended tow capacity in civilian use.

Where did you find the recovery vehicle axle weights, and did you take into account that they may have to be twin wheels to qualify?

As the Foden axles are only rated at 10t each, the max would be 30t:cool2:. With a suspended tow there would be far less than 10t on the front axle and if you do the sums you will find the Foden has a very low legal suspended tow capacity in civilian use.

Where did you find the recovery vehicle axle weights, and did you take into account that they may have to be twin wheels to qualify?

The Road Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) (General) Order 2003

I am quoting the legal maximum allowed for a three and four axle recovery. There may be other factors that reduce the Max vehicle weight, below this figure.

Special types does not specify single or dual wheels when considering Maximum gross vehicle weight

It just says:-

13. The gross weight of a road recovery vehicle must not exceed -

(a) 36,000 kilograms in the case of a locomotive, the weight of which is transmitted to the road surface through 3 axles;

(b) 50,000 kilograms in the case of a locomotive, the weight of which is transmitted to the road surface through 4 or more axles;

With regards to axle weight the regs state:-

Maximum axle and wheel weights

14. - (1) The distance between any two adjacent axles of a road recovery vehicle must not be less than 1.3 metres.

(2) The axle weight of a road recovery vehicle must not exceed 12,500 kilograms.

(3) The wheel weight of a road recovery vehicle must not exceed 6,250 kilograms.

(4) Where a road recovery vehicle has axles in two or more groups -

(a) the distance between the adjacent axles in any group must not be less than 1.3 metres; and

(b) the sum of the weights transmitted to the road surface by all the wheels in any group must not exceed 25,000 kilograms.

(5) But sub-paragraph (4)(b) does not apply to a road recovery vehicle falling within paragraph 13©.

15. - (1) If a road recovery vehicle has only one front steer axle, that axle must carry at least 40 per cent of the maximum axle weight shown on the plate required by regulation 66 of the Construction and Use Regulations (plates for goods vehicles and buses).

In terms of Construction and Use exemptions the regs say:-

Table 12

Road recovery vehicles: Construction and Use Regulations that do not apply

Non-applicable Regulations Subjects

36A, 36B, 36C Speed limiters

51 Sideguards

70, 70B Plates

70A Speed limiters

72 Additional markings

73 Test date disc

75 Maximum permitted laden weight of vehicle

76 Maximum permitted laden weight of vehicle and trailer, other than articulated vehicle

77 Maximum permitted laden weight of articulated vehicle

78 Maximum permitted wheel and axle weights

79 Maximum permitted weights for certain closely-spaced axles etc

79A Savings for Authorised Weight Regulations

82 Restrictions on use of vehicles carrying wide or long loads

83(1) Numbers of trailers

I welcome someone elses take as to how this is interpreted, but my first thoughts are a Civilian can use one to the same loadings as the Army. I wait to here what other people think the regs are saying. I can't see from this why a Foden can't work with a back bogey loading of 25 Tonnes, and a front axle weight of up to 11 Tonnes.

Rule 14 (2) and (3) seems to be saying single wheels are acceptable.

What Maximum Gross vehicle weight do the Army use, what rear axle loading to they work to, and why are they apparently allowed to exceed the design limits of the vehicle?

Edited by antarmike

Mike,

The Foden has Bogie Blocking facility similar setup to Scammell EKA, this spreads the load to the front axle. I do not have time at this minute, but will try and find the relevant weights when B/B is operated.

Mike,

The Foden has Bogie Blocking facility similar setup to Scammell EKA, this spreads the load to the front axle. I do not have time at this minute, but will try and find the relevant weights when B/B is operated.

5 Tonne transfered to the front axle when BB operated Richard.