CET what are they like?

agripper

No all the parts are completely unique. The engine is classified as a Rolls Royce C6T but it is the same core as an Eagle out of a Scammell Crusader or RAF S26 Tractor except that it develops 330 bhp instead of 305 bhp. The turbo is side mounted and I think a little bigger than a Crusader rear mounted one. The pump seems to be opened up a bit hence the plume of black smoke when you open the throttle quickly.

John.

Engine is the C6TFR a right hand version of my Antar engine the C6TFL.

In the Antar it gives 300BHP @ 2,100 RPM. Although similar to the Eagle, it is not the same (but same capacity I believe)

I think a good way to describe it is the Eagle is based on the C6T but the inlet and exhaust are on the opposite side of the engine, The Eagle head being a bit like a mirror of the C6T head. The Rotinoff GR7 Atlantic was (in some instances) C6T powered.

C6T also went into the six AEA Argentina Antars, Pakistans army Antars (21) and the Antar Sandmasters.

The Rolls C6T was basically an Industrial engine, so found in pumps, generator sets, Diesel rail cars, Railway shunting engines and the like. The Replacement C6T I fitted to my Antar came from a Centrifugal clutch driven Air compreesor, one of two at RAF Fairford for starting Concorde when it was on test there. The other Concorde Starter Rolls C6T is in Steve Guest's (now defunct) RAF Constructor. The Spare injection pump I have got came out of a railway shunting engine.

Paired engines i.e. one C6TFL and one C6TFR were often used in marine applications. So yes every chance of finding a C6TFR in other places than the CET.

A single engine installation in a boat usually uses a Left Hand engine. To find a right hand engine you would be looking at a twin engined application.

The fact that the CET uses a right handed engine means finding an alternative for the Rolls C6TFR is quite difficult. I did contemplate buying a CET from Withams with non running engine, but the fact no other alternative readily springs to mind put me off, (OH that and the price they were charging for a dead vehicle)

Edited by antarmike

On a slight tangent were there ever any Terriers with Challenger 2-style tracks (two square rubber grips per track link)? I'm convinced I saw one today - definitely didn't look like a CET! :???

Stone

I don't think so but you never know. Can't say I have seen one with double block tracks. I know the CRARRV has had a revamp but that is far bigger than the Terrier. I will post a CRARRV up for you, it could be that you saw.

Tony

Had another look today - probably a Trojan. Mystery solved :)

I was fooled as the Terrier and Trojan both have the smaller digger arm on the right-hand side of the hull and a front dozer blade. Most of the rest is a matter of how far away it is!

Stone

Edited by Stone

Had another look today - probably a Trojan. Mystery solved :)

I was fooled as the Terrier and Trojan both have the smaller digger arm on the right-hand side of the hull and a front dozer blade. Most of the rest is a matter of how far away it is!

Stone

Did't give Trojan a thought. Well solved that man......