daimler

griff66

Very good film...

have to confess i didn't even know the Daimler had 4 wheel steering :red:

I know that training film was specifically the Daimler Armoured Car, but at that same time, the Daimler Scout Car Mk1 did actually have four wheel steering, which only came into operation when reverse was selected. Due to problems, it was changed to two wheel sterring and all the early ones modified to lock the rear wheels from steering.

I actually thought the 4 wheel steering in Daimler scout Car Mk1 was four wheel in forward and reverse giving a turning circle of 7metres against 11.5m for those with only front wheel steering.

Rather more complex than that, so will explain it more..

When in forward gear, the steering is "progressive", the rear steering does not come into operation until front wheels are on full lock.

Engaging reverse gear automatically transfers steering from front to rear wheels, there is no progressive operation in this direction. So the tightest turning circle is only available in Forward gear.

Richard Farrant

Engaging reverse gear automatically transfers steering from front to rear wheels, there is no progressive operation in this direction. So the tightest turning circle is only available in Forward gear.

I'm sure you know what you're talking about and I know I'm going to get a head ache with this, if reverse is engaged at full lock how does the front wheels straighten themselves out if there is no progression in reverse?

A pointer to some on line instructional site might be easier assuming there is one.

Edited by steveo578
addition

I'm sure you know what you're talking about and I know I'm going to get a head ache with this, if reverse is engaged at full lock how does the front wheels straighten themselves out if there is no progression in reverse?

Steve,

When reverse is selected in the transfer box it also actuates a spring loaded mechanism which moves the master lever (in the steering master plate box) into a slot, transfering steering operation to the linkage for the rear wheels. Before this can be done, front wheels have to be centred in order that the master lever can pass to the reverse slot.

Quite easy really :-D......................but you can quite see why this system was quickly abandoned.