Hello from Hamburg USA

Hi,

My name is John and I have the OD disease.

Been hunting and gathering for about 25+ years.

A friend directed me here, what a great site!

My main interests are the US heavy trucks.

I see others here have the big stuff also, that's good.

I have 3) 7144's, 2) 8144's, 1) 444 (and just found another.)

WLF M1A1 Heavy Wrecker

Also have 2) IH Half Tracks and a AFKX-352 shop van

4 or 5 G506 Chevy's plus some trailers to pull around.

Volvo BV202 and a C303 round it all out.

Some are restored, 2/3 of the stuff runs, some are for spares and parts.

I have researched most of what I own, so if someone has a question regarding these, feel free to ask.

I know I will be asking questions... especially about parts I have been looking for.

Hope to add something to the mix.

Cheers and Beers,

John

That's a rare beasty, Captain C.! Careful you don't shove the boom through the Billiard Room window when parking at the Clubhouse :stop:

Looks vaguely like a smaller version of the two 8144T crane units for the U.S. Navy? Can you tell us anything about this model - how many, where used, etc.?

What is the Autocar population in the States like? Can you give us an idea of how many might be preserved? In Europe 444, 4144 are very scarce, we think there could be possibly 16 - 20 x 7144Ts and some 8144Ts.

Thanks

Tony

That's a rare beasty, Captain C.! Careful you don't shove the boom through the Billiard Room window when parking at the Clubhouse :stop:

That can pose a problem :shocked: .... I have an M1A1 WLF and in the shed, I have to move the booms up and around to save space when parking, risky business.

Looks vaguely like a smaller version of the two 8144T crane units for the U.S. Navy? Can you tell us anything about this model - how many, where used, etc.?

You are correct. Same set up, just a smaller version, of both both truck and crane. This one came out of a big aircraft museum in Ohio.

I know very little of it's past.

I have not seen another like it anywhere. Books or real life.

[Edit, I do have one pic of an early CC 7144 with a heavier Garwood crane on I think Tarawa]

It's constructed very well and the techniques used to assemble it seem accurate for a less modern time.

Since so few of the 8144 versions were built I have to suspect they were not a line production vehicle.

This one seems of that same type. It's difficult to to know just by looking at the way it was built. But it gives clues.

Did the Army Air Corp or Navy build it? I think yes, but can't say positively.

The data plates on truck are for a U-7144T and a 3620PT on the crane. Nothing more.

I am still attempting to track down it's true pedigree.

What is the Autocar population in the States like? Can you give us an idea of how many might be preserved? In Europe 444, 4144 are very scarce, we think there could be possibly 16 - 20 x 7144Ts and some 8144Ts.

There are "some."

Like in Europe, many were used commercially after the war and had a hard life. Most are long gone.

Some served on with the military. I think we had more, unused ones after WWII/Korea and may have more candidates lurking.

The 8144 I have was used by the Air Force as a runway sanding truck in the Pacific Northwest.

My parts 8144 had a big crane on it and the owner tipped it over.

He walked away and never looked back. Wanted nothing to do with it, a brush with death will do that.

The White 444 I just discovered 10 miles from my house was set up as a drift busting plow truck for rural county roads.

The other 444 came from the desert southwest. Very clean.

One of my (unrestored) 7144's was used as a rail yard car pusher for a Minnesota beer brewer and the other was used by a towing company.

I also recently discovered about 12 7144's and 8144's that are lined up in a salvage yard.

Unfortunately very inaccessible, sorry location secret for now.

Owner is very difficult to deal with too.

Not sure of accurate restored numbers but would venture a guess from what I know at about 10-20 of that type including Federals and IH. I don't know of any 444's. That's my next big project.

BTW, I am looking for an 8144 ponton storage box if you have one laying about.:-D

Cheers,

John

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Captain Crank

• 4 years later...

Hi ,

The crane looks familiar!

I have just bought this GMC from Airborne Garage in Arnhem, Holland.

I know nothing of its history & there are no records of a GMC being built with such a crane - but then there are quite a few oddities about!

It could have been a post war modification of course, but where did the crane come from originally?

Any insight would be great!.

have you discovered any history behind yours?

Cheers,

Jimmy crane.JPG

U-7144T Closed Cab with Garwood Swing Boom Crane

DSC00958_1.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

So, it would fit under the bridges

DSC00936.jpg

Not only that - check out Goncalo's pic here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38334-Sterling-DDS150-Torpedo-Crane-US-Navy-WW2

Not exactly the same crane tower construction, but the installation is similar - also stabiliser legs look same as on the GMC rear.

Still wondering if the 7144 and 352 might be a post WW2 conversion?

Edited by N.O.S.