Track tensioning-FV439

ChasSomT.

Aimed at anyone with experience of maintaining 432 family , Owners, 'FV434 Instructor' maybe-

If the vehicle 'pulls' to the Right, pulling more the faster you are going, is it the Right track that needs tightening? I've been 'pondering' this for nearly a month now (The weather has meant no driving)

Am I right in thinking that there is less 'resistance' in the Right track, so the vehicle 'pulls' that way?

It is the theory I am trying to get my head round. Or could it be the extra weight of the two roof mounted generators on the right side of the vehicle causing the 'pulling'? Got any ideas, anyone?

Chas. (IKBA and Bar, but having loads of FUN!)

if you tension both tracks equally and take it for a spin on a level road ie one without camber and it still pulls you know it's not track tension, and maybe saddle adjustment on the brake bands although this shouldn't cause any problems when driving in a straight line unless one side is binding.

saddle adjustment usually shows itself when braking by pulling to one side just like normal drum brakes would.sorry but i can't remember the specs for saddle adjustment but one of the other 432 owners will know it, as it's a common part of maintenance

hope this helps

eddy

Another thing to check is that there are equal number of links in each track, no unknown to be different, if they are worn.

Failing that, and track tension, band adjustment, etc., are correct, then it may be "track drift". This can only be checked on a flat smooth surface, a long time since I did one last, but it checks how far offline the vehicle goes in 100 feet ( I think, but might be less). This is corrected by shimming behind the appropriate sprocket. Obviously more noticeable when driving on straight roads, more than cross country with no clear track to follow.

Thank you for your replies, much 'food for thought' there!

Robin Craig, I have tried to reply to your pm, but don't seem to be able to post! Let me know if anything has come through, if it hasn't, pm me your e-m@il address and I will send that way, with pictures.

Chas, yes your well oiled pm s came through baout 10 times last night.

As far as the number of links in the track I am well interested when I see a comment about that come up.

I am somewhat dubious about the number of links making the slightest difference as what effect would that have on the drive sprocket?

After all when vehicles are short tracked to get them back for repair they dont go around in circles!

I think there is something slowing the drive down be it a brake issue or other.

my 2 cents worth or tuppence if your in the UK

R

Yes, I suppose it could be the Right brake 'dragging'. Would it get 'worse' the faster it went?

I thought it went well (for its weight!) but then, I've got nothing to compare it to, the last tracks I drove was on my Army test, in a Spartan, 25 years ago! We'd better get some books and look at setting up the brakes.

Thanks all, for your help.

Chas.

Yes, I suppose it could be the Right brake 'dragging'. Would it get 'worse' the faster it went?

I thought it went well (for its weight!) but then, I've got nothing to compare it to, the last tracks I drove was on my Army test, in a Spartan, 25 years ago! We'd better get some books and look at setting up the brakes.

Thanks all, for your help.

Chas.

The CORRECT brake adjustment must be done when the steering box is cold.

The Tillers (Steering levers to the uninistiated!) must have some freeplay before they opperate the steering/braking. This is checked very easily. Take up the slack in each tiller one at a time. The distance between the little cutout in the brown padding so your fingertips touch the hull. And the front face of the tiller lever must be. From fingertips to end of the palm of your hand. Any less & that band is too tight/ over adjusted. Any more, & it needs a little adjustment. This is what we used to work to when I repaired & maintained 432's in Service. It is better to be a little slack than over adjusted!

Hope this gets you out of your predicament!

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

M113s have 63 link on the left and 64 on right with of set torsin bar suspention. Track tention mesured on second road wheel,(after you have moved and the vehicle has rolled to a stop brakes of) if thats all corect then it should go in a straght line on flat surface. On a road it would drift to the left due to camber in road.

If that is all OK you need to balance the steering as per privous comments. if thats all correct and it still pulls to the left then check for heat in your final drives and road wheel hubs.

Still Driving the old M113s

Chas,

I have come across this problem before, but with a 434. All the checks mentioned before were carried out, but to no avail, it still "pulled" to one side, more so seemingly the faster the vehicle speed.

And this was a REME wagon, and we were supposed to be able to fix it.:embarrassed:

Several theories were expounded, even down to loading the equivalent wieght to the crane on the opposite side of the wagon. But nothing worked.

The solution was almost as silly as the fault.

What we did, and remember this was with almost limitless manpower and time, was to remove both tracks completely, split them equally into eight parts, mix the parts indiscriminately, rejoin them , and refit to 434

Amazingly it worked! In fact the regular driver , who was so used to his wagon wandering, then had trouble for a while staying on the straight and narrow.

Again , I must emphasise, this was an extreme fix, and we had time and men to spare.

Also there is no logical reason for it to work again.

Harry

Harry, thanks for that! We haven't taken it out since before Chrimbo, it needs a good clean and a 'grease-up'. I think we will just put up with it for now, and see if it gets worse. We did a lot of miles that day, so maybe things got hotter than it was 'used to' !

It probably had more use and less maintenance in the time since bought and Chrimbo, than it had in the last few years of Service life.

We shall see, life is a 'learning curve' !

Cheers,

Chas.

• 1 year later...

I'd also be interested if you've had any luck, my 432 is currently pulling to the left slightly. I've just assumed (and hoped!!) it was my steering that needed adjusting. Now I've tracked down a spanner (1.11/16th) to fit the big lock-nut on the steering boxes, will get them adjusted as see how she drives then...

What we did, and remember this was with almost limitless manpower and time, was to remove both tracks completely, split them equally into eight parts, mix the parts indiscriminately, rejoin them , and refit to 434

Amazingly it worked! In fact the regular driver , who was so used to his wagon wandering, then had trouble for a while staying on the straight and narrow.

I wonder, if this solution worked for the 434 whether in that case it could have been something like bent track pins/damaged bushes or links..?

Fingers crossed it is something simple like steering adjustment and not a damaged track or sprocket needing shimming etc..

James

I don't think we've driven very far at all since my last post, so no practical experience to report.

On 'ARRSE' there are stories of 439 drivers 'wrapping their left leg round the tiller' on long road trips, so it could be down to the off-centre weight of the gennies.

At a small local show, a chap came up and 'nosed' all round the vehicle, asking all sorts of informed questions, then started gently suggesting things to carry, and look out for. It turns out he still works at the what was the local REME (Then ABRO, now some other acronym!) workshops, on CVR(T) now, but 430 series previously.

Of course, I got his phone no. and he has offered to come and 'Supervise' when we change the brake(s). The left one is well worn, to the extent that the '9 will 'Turn on a Tanner' to the right, but cannot do tight left turns, not with both hands on the left stick, as far back as it physically can.

Just taxed it again, will change the engine oil, then start enjoying it, (When Wimbledon, and Glastonbury are over)

and we get our next short instalment of what we used to call summer! :(

Happy Tracking :)

'Chas.'

No Probs Chas. As an aside, ensure the seering box is COLD when you do this. When it has been used & warmed up.

It gets VERY hot indeed! :shocked: We used to cook in a messtin on top of one of the flat access covers on the steering box. Whilst on Manouvers! (NOT when the vehicle was moving, Natually!) :angel: