The Tiger 131 Appeal 2010

JoelH

Hello Steve,

Evidently the Tiger is an incredibly popular vehicle with visitors to the Museum and its annual Tankfest show, such demand surely proves people want to see the Tiger remain operational for years to come.

Many Thanks,

JPH

Hello Steve,

Evidently the Tiger is an incredibly popular vehicle with visitors to the Museum and its annual Tankfest show, such demand surely proves people want to see the Tiger remain operational for years to come.

Many Thanks,

JPH

I would really want a independant cost benefit analysis of whether the tiger is the raison d'ete of the popularity of Tankfest, personally I doubt it, but it could be proved by announcing a tiger run with just the tiger at the same cover price as Tankfest and see how many people turn up. Conversely as it is off the road for the 2010 Tankfest this may give an idea of how much it contributes (although other factors such as the state of the economy/weather would have to be taken into account). I doubt it is equivilent to the £44,000 quoted by Sirhc although the appeal is for £56K.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
error in quote

If anybody would like to make a donation to my AFV project, it would be gratefully received!

Selling points are well over 150 people had a ride in it last year, at a charity event, far more than the Tiger.

The public are allowed to sit in it at shows, and take photos! thereby making it all a more memorable experience.

And all the money collected/raised goes to Help for Heroes!!

Joking aside, im sure its worthy and all that, but its like the Vulcan bomber, surely if its to continue to operate, a certain amount of it has to be self funded, surely enthusiast open nights where special access is given compared to normal museum visitors...at a price of course, and a whole host of other intiatives could be created to make it pay its way, rather than saying "if you want to see it run, give us a donation".

I doubt that it is the sole draw for crowds to museum events!

although I am inclined to agree that priority in a British museum should be given to home grown vehicles it must be remembered that one of the things that sets Bovvy above many other museums in many countries is that they have the only running tiger making a visit there a truly unique experience

Hey guys,

As a few of you have talked about the "Behind the scenes kind of thing", the Museum has come up with a new experience "Access All Areas". This gives you, amongst other things:

A guided tour of The Tank Museum Workshops. Find out how our vehicles are maintained and restored by our dedicated staff and take a look at over one hundred vehicles that have yet to go on display or are awaiting restoration.

May interest some people, although that has nothing to do with the Tiger.

Cheers, FB

I am curious as to how the museum came up with that figure? Can anyone tell me if they have volunteers working on their vehicles or paid staff? At the National Army Museum in Waiouru, there is a band of Military vehicle enthusiasts that go up there once a month (or something like that) to work on the vehicles. They don't get paid, they just enjoy what they do. They get to play with and work on vehicles that they could not otherwise afford or obtain. The museum pays for parts etc. If Bovington tried, even not very hard, I am sure that they could rustle up a merry band of dedicated enthusiasts with skills in the MV area to do the work for them. Supply tea, biscuits, tools and you're away!! BTW...Converted, 56k quid is about NZ$120,000. Now that would get me ALOT of MV's!!! Or one top notch bedford MW!!!!!

Edited by The Bedford Boys
Confusion

Re figure, I suspect they are like everyone else with their estimates, recently "they" are saying the the inclement weather here is going to cost £150 million. Where do they get that figure from?

Regarding volunteers at the Tank Museum, they did have them, probably still do, but I suspect that in this health and safety conscious age they aren't permitted to do very much. Some years ago I had a run-in with a staff member who suggested that volunteers couldn't possibly actually drive anything much, especially over the "knife-edge" on the viewing area circuit. I advised that that was no knife edge, just a mere hump.

There are a number of people on this forum (including myself) that are volunteers at the Museum. We are trained by the Museum - we take part in the majority of activities (its really worth volunteering).

The Tiger appeal seems to be going well (they have already raised £2.5k). There is a case for support of the Project page which I believe contains some more technical details.

Cheers, FB

there's a simple way to raise all the funds needed in one day ,why not sell one of the ex range hulks that are sitting around at the museum,one churchill or sherman in restorable condition should do it and might actually give that vehicle a new lease of life instead of sitting around for another few years waiting it's turn.

there's a simple way to raise all the funds needed in one day ,why not sell one of the ex range hulks that are sitting around at the museum,one churchill or sherman in restorable condition should do it and might actually give that vehicle a new lease of life instead of sitting around for another few years waiting it's turn.

That is a very good point, im sure there is stuff that otherwise wont get touched for years.

Good to read that the Tank Museum volunteers are still going strong. I understand the museum have sold or passed on some of the unseen stuff, but will we, the public, see it again I wonder. An AFV, or even an MBT, is a major task on take on, and I suspect you need a money pit. It 's a good idea in theory, perhaps possibly in practice.

You beat me to it Meteor mak4b in the past stuff has disappeared disposed of to the overly affluent, I personally do not want to see artifacts, range hulks or otherwise being sold off to private individuals and never being seen again, as sacrifices to the altar of the Tiger tank.

Incidently for all those who consider the tiger as a unique mobile asset -Saumur has run its Tiger 2 and also has a Panther running

Steve

Health and safety can get f.........Whoops can't say that on here!! Good to here that there are volunteers at the museum, all credit to you guys. I read in a magazine (mind goes blank when I try to remember what mag in particular) that Bovington sent alot of AFV's to scrap a few years ago. I will dig out the details. Hopefully this sort of thing is in the past and they still aren't doing it!!

I agree the Tiger has ben a crowd puller since its restoration, befor the Tiger the WW 1tank was the crowd puller untill i belive stress fractures in the frames due to age caused concern.

The Battle day as far as i can remember has allways been popular (up on gallows hill in the past :shocked:)

The main problem with restoring loads of exhibits ...proper / secure storage, safe enviroment for public to view collection (gone are the days of free entry and when no one was looking climbing in to the first open hatch you spotted to pull levers, push buttons and twists knobs ), even right down to enough drip trays to catch dripping oil, proper maintenence facilities, fuel storage bla bla bla bla.......

To charge public entry fees to enable the museum to preserve / restore /accuire / run exhibits vehicle or items worn / fought with... = comply to H&S

German armour / vehicles / history, are very popular the world over, and untill recently hid behind closed doors by most of the major collectors (vehicles in particular)

Samur i belive is also still owned by the French army as well as run by volunteers.

Just a few thoughts

Ashley

Having already had a behind the scenes tour some years ago, this is very interesting. I'm very pro-Brit Armour, but I understand (grudgingly) that the T***r brings in the punters and their pennies. Hopefully the museum spend some of it on British armour.

At Tankfest 2009 a friend of mine, ex-3RTR (Armoured Farmers) had a stand where he sold paintings (originals and prints) and copies of his book and took commissions for new work.

He told us all later that he was intially put out that he could have sold any item with a Balkenkreuz many times over and they were in far greater demand than his British Army stuff. Still it convinced him he could go full time and took on the chin the fact that he would have to roll out Tiger and Panther pics in much greater numbers.

http://www.malcyart.co.uk/

Well, I just think its a bit odd , peoples' preoccupation with all things German. All to their own I guess.

Well i hope you do not go to Beltring, because even though i am a German fan, even i find some of the re-enactors, vehicle owners, militaria dealers etc at this event some what "overpowering" in thier portrayal, of military re-enacting (possibly glorification ??) and some of the dealers who ply complete and utter junk as origonal militaria for hundreds/thousands of pounds :nono::mad:

Slightly off thread here sory.

Ashley