scammell pioneer restoration

ruggyjohn

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi niels, yes i can get you another but its work in progress at the moment, this is the 1st one they have made, i am working with them on it to get it to look right, diameter of tube has gone up by 1/4 of an inch to enable thicker wall tube to be used, silencer box is the same dimensions as original with the same baffles, flanges slightly larger, when mine is finished i will be able to give you a price for a complete system.

• 2 weeks later...

Some how I've missed this restoration thread until this morning, excellent work I know very well whats it like to commit to a long term restoration of a large vehicle. Your on the home run now, every bit you do will make a significant advance.

Keep up the good work looking forward to seeing more photos

Pete

Did you get a new rubber for the brake master cylinder? Are they readily available from somewhere? Great job by the way!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110029[/ATTACH]

exhaust now had its final fitting, all tacked together, will remove and do the rest of the welding on the bench, cab ready for blasting just waiting for some decent weather.

Hi I was referring to the external dust rubber boot fitted to the master cylinder (on end of foot pedal located on outside of chassis). I have had the cut off valve apart on ours and rebuild that (had a corroded spring inside) but I have not had to touch the actuator (inside chassis, applies pressure to brake cross-shaft) other than replace a cracked pipe.

John, see item circled in red, this is effectively the brake master cylinder, the brakes on a Pioneer are air assisted, there is a mechanical link from pedal to brake shoe but this cylinder works in line with the mechanical system. As the pedal is pressed it compresses the master cylinder plunger which then allows air through to the actuator mounted between the chassis rails which acts on the brake cross shaft to assist with braking effort. Hope this makes sense? I don't claim to be a subject matter expert on these but I am quite confident this is how they work having had ours to pieces and back together again.

The reason for my original question was that our rubber (or leather probably) boot over the master cylinder plunger was U/S and it looks like yours has a nice new rubber one fitted, hence I was keen to see if you sourced it recently from somewhere?

Many thanks, Ed

scammell pedal.jpg

sorry ed, my mistake, going from memory which is always fatal, when you said master cylinder i imediately thought of a hydraulic system not the air valve, should have had a look before i opened my mouth, and yes just looked on the spares shelf and i have one complete with stainless circlips, yours for a fiver including postage, if i send it to be signed for it will be another quid. hope this is of use to you. john.

John, sounds good to me, I'll send you a PM to get details for payment. Thanks. Ed

sorry ed, my mistake, going from memory which is always fatal, when you said master cylinder i imediately thought of a hydraulic system not the air valve, should have had a look before i opened my mouth, and yes just looked on the spares shelf and i have one complete with stainless circlips, yours for a fiver including postage, if i send it to be signed for it will be another quid. hope this is of use to you. john.

Wish I had a shelf like that , looking very smart John ☺

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hi andy, when i find spares for the scammell i usually buy 2 or 3 at a time if i can, what i don't use i can sometimes swap for something else, the only problem is you know you have one its just finding it.

john.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From this point on everything is a positive step forward in any restoration project. For me this is the most enjoyable part the grunt work is done and it's time to start adding the detail, every days work now has a visible positive return.

Looking good :thumbsup:

Pete