scammell pioneer restoration

ruggyjohn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely job as usual, but I think I'd leave some more space around the fittings coming through the floor. If the wood swells and gets tight and the components attached to the gearbox move in relation to the floor you will have some very annoying squeaks and rattles, never mind the chance of damage to the gearchange bracketry.

Hi John,

Looks like you have an explorer coupling between engine and gearbox.

Am i right? was it an easy fit?

Richard

hi richard, news to me, this is how i bought it, 99% sure its pioneer, not seen explorer close up but it is the same rubber cush drive as i am aware.

hi richard, news to me, this is how i bought it, 99% sure its pioneer, not seen explorer close up but it is the same rubber cush drive as i am aware.

Well, this is what i have always understood to be the explorer type which looks like yours.

coupling2.jpg

Whereas, this is mine and is how it looks in the mamual.

P1010394.jpg

Its not a problem for me presently, mine is fine. But i enquire out of interest since spares of both are hard to come by, so the option to fit an explorer one may one day come in handy for someone. Looking at them it doesn't look like an easy switch.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

filled steering box with oil after replacing gaskets and left overnight to check for leaks, next morning all dry so fitted to pioneer, one day later oil dripping from cross shaft which takes the steering arm, bu**er, looked in manual and see there is a cork seal in there, (very high tech) remove box from vehicle and strip to find a roller from the top taper bearing floating about inside, so a lucky escape all round, could just see the pioneer disappearing through somebodys house if it had jammed the steering, so all in bits and waiting for the parts to arrive, putting a modern oil seal in instead of the cork, got to be an improvement. so i think it was 1 step forward 3 steps back this time.

Edited by ruggyjohn

image.jpgUOTE=ruggyjohn;463135]filled steering box with oil after replacing gaskets and left overnight to check for leaks, next morning all dry so fitted to pioneer, one day later oil dripping from cross shaft which takes the steering arm, bu**er, looked in manual and see there is a cork seal in there, (very high tech) remove box from vehicle and strip to find a roller from the top taper bearing floating about inside, so a lucky escape all round, could just see the pioneer disappearing through somebodys house if it had jammed the steering, so all in bits and waiting for the parts to arrive, putting a modern oil seal in instead of the cork, got to be an improvement. so i think it was 1 step forward 3 steps back this time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Keep thinking positive, it'll turn better with a new bearing (LOL!) . Looks like a standard item, was it difficult to get a new one?

1st bearing place said no chance so went to another who said they could get the race but the outer cup was not made anymore, found some old stock in Australia , the nearest he could find size wise was 9 thou too big so getting a price to have them ground down

I've just rebuilt a Stoewer Type 40 steering box as it had similar issues, a local machine shop machined the shaft and housing to accept a modern bearing thats available off the shelf, worked a treat.

IMG_3677.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

Edited by RMS

• 2 weeks later...
I've just rebuilt a Stoewer Type 40 steering box as it had similar issues, a local machine shop machined the shaft and housing to accept a modern bearing thats available off the shelf, worked a treat.[

was it a taper bearing to start with on the bottom of the column to take the side loading.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just rebuilt a Stoewer Type 40 steering box as it had similar issues, a local machine shop machined the shaft and housing to accept a modern bearing thats available off the shelf, worked a treat.[

was it a taper bearing to start with on the bottom of the column to take the side loading.

It's an NTN 7004, which is this:

http://www.hellerbearings.com/hk-7004-bearing-21111.htm

Angular contact bearing. So it can handle axial and radial loads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

image.jpg Wheels now on, had a problem with the fuel filters, somebody in the past has done away with the connecting pipes between the two making one permanently redundant, have now fitted a new modern filter with sediment bowl, it won't please the rivet counters but will be a better and more reliable system, glass going in the windscreens today and more wiring and hopefully a start of the engine in the chassis, 1st time in 6 years.

• 4 weeks later...
image.jpg Some more progress, new engine side panels made, and new winch rope is being fitted this Friday, last pic is of a new arrival, scammell amazon heavy haulage unit, rolls 305 and a design weight of 130 tons but have pics when working of a 198 ton barge behind it, what can I say, I just love my scammells.

image.jpg

image.jpg