Methanol antifreezer

gritineye

I took my Explorer out the other day in freezing temperatures, I gave no thought to the fact that I have eliminated the methanol brake system antifreezer during the engine swap.

Does anybody else ever put any methanol in theirs and how necessary is it, given that the power steering is air operated as well?

I took my Explorer out the other day in freezing temperatures, I gave no thought to the fact that I have eliminated the methanol brake system antifreezer during the engine swap.

Does anybody else ever put any methanol in theirs and how necessary is it, given that the power steering is air operated as well?

I don't know about your truck, but if you haven't got an air dryer then you will need brake anti freeze. As the air condenses it will create moisture. If this freezes then you will be at risk of brake or steering failure.

I used to drive trucks with an Eaton Twin Splitter. The gear shift for the range change works by air, and if the air dryer was knackered the moisture in the air line would freeze in cold temps and then the selector would no longer work and you would be left without gears.

Bernard,

With the relatively simple air brake system on the Explorer, without numerous valves and relays, as Loggy describes, on modern lorries, you might well get away with it, what you have to be aware of, is that you will not have an auto drain valve ( unless you have fitted one) on the vehicle, so it is quite important to drain the tanks of moisture, that way, with the small amount of use that you would do in the winter, it should be alright.

Thanks Loggy and Richard, just as I thought then, I wondered if anyone had actually experienced problems, won't be doing that again then!..:shake:

With all the mods to fit the new engine I thought I would leave fitting the air drier from the donor truck till later and of course never got round to fitting it, after all it never had one to start with.

As for experience problems with air systems freezing, yep, me and a least a couple of dozen others today. The rule is or was, at the end of the day in freezing weather drain the air tank. As for when the last time the systems on our busses were done, The Devil knows, and Heaven suspects.

so it is quite important to drain the tanks of moisture, that way, with the small amount of use that you would do in the winter, it should be alright.

I drain often so would most likely not much moisture in there now, but the first few times I went off road, on very steep drops rusty water would gush out of the steering breather, it was only when I took off the long pipes that drop down run along the chassis and up again that I got it all out, thinking about it I don't know why that had never frozen and split before.

I drain often so would most likely not much moisture in there now, but the first few times I went off road, on very steep drops rusty water would gush out of the steering breather, it was only when I took off the long pipes that drop down run along the chassis and up again that I got it all out, thinking about it I don't know why that had never frozen and split before.

Bernard,

You also have to think about internal rusting, I have seen quite a few air tanks rusted through, they are not all that thick. So draining regularly is a good practise.

Been there Richard, when I first got Forceful the main tank was rusted through and sprung a leak on my first run out. It was repaired, hence I drain often, it only had a normal screw in drain plug, I fitted a spring type with a pull cord, a lot better!

I wonder how often it would have been drained with that plug, and wether this contributed to the pipes being full of water.

Been there Richard, when I first got Forceful the main tank was rusted through and sprung a leak on my first run out. It was repaired, hence I drain often, it only had a normal screw in drain plug, I fitted a spring type with a pull cord, a lot better!

I wonder how often it would have been drained with that plug, and wether this contributed to the pipes being full of water.

Ah....good thinking with the pull cord type drains, that is why drivers would not drain the tanks down becaue it usually meant rolling on the ground and getting dirty when normal taps or plugs were fitted.

Hi All.

I'm currently working on a 35t scammell crusader which has problems with

the air system.( not maintaining air pressure in the tanks ).

I've since found out that Methanol had been used on this vehicle. After doing a system air test on the truck it was found that ALL of the valve seals were leaking. I can only put this down too the Methanol being used in the vehicle. because before this was used the vehicle was fine with no

problems with the air system. I will be fitting auto drain valves too the truck when all the valves and a couple of tanks are changed. this truck has no air dryer fitted' so i will be fitting one to the system.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Edited by protruck

so methylated spirit would not affect rubber seals?:( or is it the QTY used

that is the problem. Just seems very strange that since this has been used in this air system the vehicle has now developed the valve problems over the last couple of months.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Hi Delta.

Some one else used the methanol in the truck, not me. i'm just the person

sorting out the problem.

It would be the standard rubber components used in air brake valves.

( seals, O-rings etc ). so i'm not sure of their properties or if methanol will affect them. But as i said in one of my earlyer posts this problem has only started since this person has used this in the air system.

Clive.

protruckservices.com

The methanol was given to the guy by a Reme mech. so who knows what was in it. any way. I just need to replace all the valves and a couple of other parts and the jobs a good'n.

Cheers.

Clive

protruckservices.com

The methanol was given to the guy by a Reme mech. so who knows what was in it. any way. I just need to replace all the valves and a couple of other parts and the jobs a good'n.

Clive,

If I remember correct, this should be AL-14 Methanol, Technical, Specification BS 506: Part 1, 1987. Described as Methanol, methyl alcohol, for industrial use.

When the container is filled, it is drawn in through a very small bore tube, so I would not have thought it to be in sufficeint quantity to harm anything as it is in vapourised form to prevent freezing of any moisture in the system. Sounds like the wrong fluid was received, all army vehicles have had this fitment for many years and I never came across, or heard of problems with valves.

Have you Googled Methanol Poisoning, it's not a very pleasant I can tell you!!

You are right Richard, it's AL14 for the brake anti freeze. The other alcohol is AL11 which is Isopropanol for the windscreen wash (VERY good stuff by the way, mix 25% Iso to 75% water and it will not freeze and you don't get any gunk forming in the tank)

I wouldn't have thought the Methanol would have caused any problems unless your air brake rubber components and the system in general isn't designed for it. My MJ is fitted with a Methanol brake anti freeze container. When the engine is running the vacume caused by a device in the compressor sucks air through a small pipe. Air enters the bottom of the bottle and air bubbles flow through the Methanol and the resulting vapour is sucked into the compressor and then it flows round the system. I presume the rubber used in the MJ is designed for the Methanol system and shouldn't perish.

Thanks for all your input chaps, I've been looking into fitting the air dryer, can't see how it could fit into my system.

Don't think the methanol bottle will work either as the compressor draws air from the pressure side of the L10s turbo.

Don't like the idea of spraying Methanol direct into the system.

Don't feel happy with the effectiveness of the tank draining.

So that's me a fair weather driver, as they keep saying lately if your journey isn't really necessary stay at home..roll on springtime.

PS. my Explorer was a fitted with snow plough on Air Flight Ranges, so I would expect it to have had it's share of Methanol, all valves and relays have been apart and found to be OK.

Clive,

Ah.. I thought that it might have been injected into the system neat. In its intended use it being vapourised in small quantity, there should be no damage caused. The system was made by the usual brake manufacturers, ie Clayton Dewandre, Bendix Westinghouse, etc, and it would have to be compatable with any rubber components.

I buy my methanol as branded air brake antifreeze. I don'tknow whether Methanlol, bought as methanol is the same specification. I feel if what I am using is packed as Air brakeing anti-freeze, it ought to be compatible with the rubber seals in the system. I have never had any problems.