Methanol antifreezer

gritineye

Loggy, I thought that most people were familiar with the after effects of drinking meths.

Especially those who've had the honour of being shot at on behalf of Her Majesty.

'The rats, don't let the rats get me.'

Etc.

It's not unkown for the honourable league of them wots bin shot at to develop a taste for moonshine, Brasso, anti-freeze, methanol.

ou name it, if it helps a guy forget he is likely to 'get cut in half by a burp gun', then he likely to give it a go.

Its not unknown for a man to take a swig, and top the container up with summat handy.

By the time a few have had a go, an opened bottle could contain anything.

Even urine.

Think Hawkeye and Trapper.

At that living hell known as Anzio, the Doggies distilled their own from stills out of bits and bobs from crashed aircraft.

Sometimes they made drinking alcohol.

Sometimes they made wood alcohol aka methanol.

Whatever they made, they called it Kickapoo Joy Juice after a Lil Abner cartoon, and mixed it with other stuff, probably grapefruit juic was a favouorite, to make it drinkable.

Some bring the habit home.

Maybe someone took a swig or two out of Clive's bottle before he got it.

And topped formentioned bottle up with summat handy.

Urine?

My comment was a mixture of history and a bit of lateral thinking.

I'm surprised nobody picked it up and amplified it.

Of course, the younger generation is vastly more anti alcofrol that earlier ones, so perhaps they don't imbibe.

I never touched that stuff Delta, even though there was drums of it everywhere in the service bay. The Army does have a habit of making a man drink alcohol in copious amounts and I wasn't any different than the next man. Most Op tours are dry tours so no alcohol for the whole time your out. On the other hand the Falkland Islands have a very good rep for turning men (and women) into alcoholics...:shake:

The small stainless steel bellows in the pressure reducer on my explorer split last year and i am pretty sure it was due to ice. Anyone know where i can get a new one. Air was leeking out of the breather on this valve so i have sealed it off as the valve no longer works. however it means the truck now runs full air pressure on the braking system, It does stop well though but i will have to see what its like on a road run as it may suffer with brake surge plus the air pressure will vary as the govener cuts in and out.

The small stainless steel bellows in the pressure reducer on my explorer split last year and i am pretty sure it was due to ice. Anyone know where i can get a new one. Air was leeking out of the breather on this valve so i have sealed it off as the valve no longer works. however it means the truck now runs full air pressure on the braking system, It does stop well though but i will have to see what its like on a road run as it may suffer with brake surge plus the air pressure will vary as the govener cuts in and out.

Sounds like the unloader valve in the Clayton DeWandre charging valve. The function of this part of the valve is an unloader so that at a determined pressure the compressor is diverted to pump to atmosphere. If this valve is not working air pressure in the tanks will rise and rise, until the safety valve blows off(if you are lucky). The brake pressure is unaffected since this is controlled by the footvalve, and pressure in the brake chambers is always conciderably less than the pressure in the Air tank., but you run the risk of wearing out your compressor that is pumping under full pressure all the time, and risk (possibly) blowing up an airtank which will be being filled to above design operating pressure.

That is if we are both talking about item 9 in the following diagram. (Clayton DeWandre Reservoir mounted Unloader Valve)

As far as I know Explorers are not fitted with Governor valves. A governor valve sends air under pressure to small pistons under the inlet valves of the compressor to unseat them when sufficient pressure is reached in the tanks. This stops the compressor pumping. As pressure drops in the tanks, the governor valve senses this and cuts off air to the valve lifter pistons and vents them to air so the compressor starts to pump again. This system is used for example with TuFlo compressors amongst others.

Edited by antarmike

unloader1.jpg

unloader2.jpg

The unloader valve takes strain off the compressor when desired tank pressure is reached. It limits the max pressure allowed into the tank, and it resumes pumping when the pressure drops by a predetermined amount. If the valve isn't working I would strongly recommend not using the tractor until a replacement is sourced. The last thing you want is for an airtank to explode!

Edited by antarmike

Hi rob.

Quote.The small stainless steel bellows in the pressure reducer on my explorer split last year and i am pretty sure it was due to ice. Anyone know where i can get a new one. Air was leeking out of the breather on this valve so i have sealed it off as the valve no longer works. however it means the truck now runs full air pressure on the braking system, It does stop well though but i will have to see what its like on a road run as it may suffer with brake surge plus the air pressure will vary as the govener cuts in and out.

Do you have a part number of the valve assembley. or is there a number tag on the valve.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Don't panic it's not the unload valve bellows that has split this works perfect (well it did before all this cold weather) the valve that has failed is the pressure reducing valve mounted on the end of the tractor service tank. My explorer is an early one with a three tank setup, main,tractor and trailer. The pressure reducing valve drops the air pressure to about 85pis in the trailer and tractor tanks while the main tank runs about 115psi (from memory) I can look for a part number in the book when i have access to it, Cheers.

When I got my Matador I did a full check on all fluids etc. I came accross the anti-freezer for the brake system, some helpful soul had decided it was an oil resevoir and had filled it with gear oil from the looks of it. Needless to say it got drained out, although havent re-filled with methanol.

Just looked at the parts book and its for a later explorer with a two tank system. Mine is an early one with three tanks and the front couplings that can be switched over to run trailer brakes. so no part numbers at the mo. i will try to take a picture of said valve when the weather improves.