Questions for tracked vehicle licence

The examiner can ask whatever questions they think of at the time. They will ask you how to check something, oil, lights, etc. There will be some road signs and highway code questions. They seem to like asking what you would do if you came out of a muddy field and were depositing lots of mud on the road.

I wouldn't be thinking about doing the test for a few months though, you really don't want to be in a tracked vehicle in this weather! There are plenty of photos of Warriors and CVRTs which slipped off the roads in the snow out there. It became such a problem that they had to fit winter track to the Warriors, with steel teeth in between track pads.

Careful on the emergency stop (I got a minor for sliding about a foot...in 18" of wet mud! Hmph)

Ours had a trick question about why you would fit an amber beacon - answer because the beacon shows that your vehicle cannot exceed 25mph and the speed limit for all tracked vehicles on all roads is 20mph! (5mph for all-steel track)

I got asked car stopping distances (why...?) and how to check the wheel nuts were tight, also the location of first aid kit and fire extinguisher and what actions to take in the event of fire.

More as I think of them...

Stone

not to many years I was hoping that when I got my tickets to operate tracked 360 and tracked dumpers that this would entitle me to drive them on the road but it never :cry:

Would it not be easier to take a test on something like a tracked dumper or would this be a diferent class ?

5mph with steel tracks :-D I can remember a niebour that used to pull his Internationall Drott with a 6cyl Fordson Major ,

Would it not be easier to take a test on something like a tracked dumper or would this be a diferent class ?

You have to be careful - much engineering plant can be driven on a Cat B (car). That was why they said it wouldn't entitle me to drive a 360 on the road...can't see why not but that's what the examiner said!

There's a lot of stuff in INF52 which explains, basically any engineering plant doesn't need a cat H even if it's tracked, so you can't take your test in one as you don't need one to drive it. I think. It's confusing!

Stone

When I took my group h test (in the TA) in a Spartan, I am sure we were never told about the 20MPH limit on tracked vehicles (with suspension and roadwheels)

It's quite hard to find, but it's there - Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c27) Schedule 6 Part 111

Doh! We live and learn, dammit!

I wouldn't worry too much, PC Plod doesn't know about it either :D

Stone

Go past them at 60 often enough and they will soon learn it!!

The guy who owns the other OT that was converted at the same time and to the same spec as mine and who managed to get his one registered by DVLA opted to drive his home from Cambridgeshire to North Essex got stopped by local police when at a filling station and told he couldn't drive it on the road. However, on checking with his HQ the copper had to apologize and allow him to proceed. Point being as Stone says - the laws are now so complex the coppers at the sharp end have a real problem understanding/interpreting them correctly!

Exactly, my answer was 'Grab the extinguisher and empty it through the engine hatches, then bail', and he looked rather unconvinced when I responded to 'So, you'd use the extinguisher at the base of the fire then?' with '...Yes.' Grumpy sod gave me a minor as well :n00b:

My first response to an engine fire in a 432 wouldn't be to open the engine bay to apply the extinguisher, I can tell you!

Stone

Action in case of fire: Go a long way away and dial 999. The best advice I was given by an MOD fire man. 'Use the estingusher to breack the door or window, then clear out!'

Yep, plenty of windows in an AFV............................................................