Bullet holes............

Jack

I used to have a series two Land Rover,ex military,that had several obvious bullet holes in it and my Dodge WC-52 has several holes which could have been caused by shrapnel.it was with the 491st Bomb Group,Eighth Air Force at Metfield (still has it's original WW2 paint) and their bomb dump blew up in 1944 so maybe it got them then,who knows.

I found a live round stuck behind a piece of weld on the inner wing on my series 3 when I was restoring it. :shock:

i presume it was a relic from Northern Ireland where she served untill her release from the forces & I was the first owner so I bought her warts & all.

cheers

Berni

I used to have a series two Land Rover,ex military,that had several obvious bullet holes in it and my Dodge WC-52 has several holes which could have been caused by shrapnel.it was with the 491st Bomb Group,Eighth Air Force at Metfield (still has it's original WW2 paint) and their bomb dump blew up in 1944 so maybe it got them then,who knows.

Wow! :shock:

I live on the edge of Metfield Aerodrome, I go blasting round it in the lightweight when i need to set the engine up and things, I know all about the story of the bomb dump being blown up and all that! how weird. Where are you based? our house is less than 1/2 a mile away from where the blast occured, yet didn't suffer any damage. Due to the strong winds on the day, Houses 7 miles away in Halesworth had their windows blown out by the blast!!!

I also have excellent views of the site, as the Big Black water tower that served the aerodrome during the war is in our field! someone wanted to demolish it and build a bungalow on the site, so we bought the water tower. If you ever want to come over I'll be happy to take you up the tower and you can get amazing views of the Aerodrome and surrounding countryside. You'd better do it quick mind, as the tower will probably fall down in the next 5 years or so :?

I'm still amazed, I don't think i've ever heard metfield been mentioned on the internet before :lol: technically i live in linstead, as i'm on the other side of the aerodrome to metfield village, but the other side of the road we live on is the edge of the aerodrome. 8)

Hi Nat,

Small world isn't it?!! I live in North Wales but I am hoping to move back to Lincolnshire in the near future,I'm over your way next week but will be short on time :(

I would love to take you up on the offer of a look at the airfield somtime,I have been around quite a few former Eighth bases in the past but never Metfield.it would be nice to take the Weapons Carrier back once it's restored!

On the subject of Landys I knew a guy who had an 86" series one with a Ford V6 in it.went like stink!

All the best

Matt.

• 2 years later...

Amongst various dings and scars in the armour of my Scout Car, there is the clear evidence of 'missile impact' on the front roller of the M3A1 (see pics attached). It goes to show that the armour plating, even at 6mm, was probably a little thin and made things quite hairy for the occupants, even in the early stages of the war!

Keep 'em Rolling

S.

Blast is a funny thing. When I was working up the top of a hill, bangs were quite usual. One day all morning bangs had been going off. We judged them on an Alarm level- how many car alarms went off in the car park. So far it had been a no alarm morning. Came lunch time, Civil Servant's must have their scoff. After lunch one hell of a bang, just about every alarm in the car park went off, the local council started phoning about windows rattling in the nearby town down the hill, and general mayhem broke loose. A series of phone calls , without coffee, and definitely no Jaffa cakes, produced the following explanation. 'We haven't set off anymore than we did this morning, it's just that the low cloud has come in'. The excessive blast effect was the result of the blast wave reflecting off the low cloud.

Hate to say it Jack, but that looks very much like a hole i put in the rear corner of a vintage bus when i backed it into a scoffold pole ( it was the bolt that sticks out of the fitting that made the hole).

Nope - differently a bullet from D-Day........

....even though my truck was made in Sept 44

Hate to say it Jack, but that looks very much like a hole i put in the rear corner of a vintage bus when i backed it into a scoffold pole ( it was the bolt that sticks out of the fitting that made the hole).

Oh that's just being nasty to Jack that is . ;-)

Slightly - alright - completely off topic - there is a well known building in Colchester dating back to before the siege during the civil war & something oft pointed out to the tourists is the bullet holes still showing on the front and corner.

One of my customers told us a while ago that his uncle was a carpenter working on restoration of that building many years ago and he put the 'bullet' holes in with his brace and bit . :whistle:

There are plenty of buildings in and around Arnhem that have a lot of bulletholes in them. Most owners probably have not even noticed them.

Even my parents house has some blast damage to one of the walls of an V1 rocket that destroyed a block of houses accidentely. It was ment to fly a lot further to Antwerp of Brussels but crashed in Arnhem, as a lot of these things did.

I am sure there are several bullet holed buildings around the weighbridge area in St Helier from German raids in 1940 prior to occupation ,assuming the developers have not pulled the buildings down since my last visit

Nigel

Don't forget The Don!! In the Royal Square, supposedly;y the musket bullets from the Battle of Jersey, more likely the result of the results of the last stupid remarks by visiting English politicians! There is an isolated section or reinforced concrete sea wall at St Quen's bay, yes I do venture into barbarian lands occasionally. I was told as a kid the holes in the walls were from bullets fired by firing squads. Delicious shiver factor when your 6 or 7. :-D