Circular saw bench

I have just bought the very sad remains of a WWII circular saw bench.In the data book of Army Transport 1939-1945 it is listed on page704 as Trailor 2 wh.Lightweight circular saw without any pictures. Please can anyone on here supply me with any pictures of a complete one and any other info. The wheels are of the 6 stud type as used on the jeep "Airborne" trailer and the tow hitch is the same as on the aforementioned trailer. It is still in the skip where I found it and as soon as I get it home I will post some pictures of it. John.

John,

Do you what is engine powering it?

Sorry, no pics of a wartime one.

Sorry Richard just the bare bones left, no engine just the 6 stud wheels, axle and springs and the A frame with WWII type tow hitch. I thought for £20 it was worth saving. Too heavy to lift out of skip on my own so will go next week with Hiab and collect it and will post pics. Thanks for your interest, John.

Sorry Richard just the bare bones left, no engine just the 6 stud wheels, axle and springs and the A frame with WWII type tow hitch. I thought for £20 it was worth saving. Too heavy to lift out of skip on my own so will go next week with Hiab and collect it and will post pics. Thanks for your interest, John.

John,

Reason I asked is that at some time in late 70's I worked on one still in army service. It might have been a similar chassis produced postwar, but had all the similarities of the airborne lightweight trailers, wheels, axle towhitch, etc. The engine was an Enfield flat twin, air cooled diesel, definitely post war. If this one you have found is a genuine WW2 type, then a good find, I can find very little info on that one except for the blade being 28" diam.

regards, Richard

John,

Reason I asked is that at some time in late 70's I worked on one still in army service. It might have been a similar chassis produced postwar, but had all the similarities of the airborne lightweight trailers, wheels, axle towhitch, etc. The engine was an Enfield flat twin, air cooled diesel, definitely post war. If this one you have found is a genuine WW2 type, then a good find, I can find very little info on that one except for the blade being 28" diam.

regards, Richard

When I get it home I will measure the blade, thanks,John

Well if its 30in John, you have a choice of 5 makes of trailer that were in service in 1967.

App1546.jpg

W3 as I'm sure you are aware was the VAOS Section for Repair shop equipment & including wood & metal, drying equipment, physical properties testing equipment.

Interesting the VAOS reference number was indentical, but when they were allocated vehicle Asset Codes they were all different presumably to identify the origin of the trailer.

Thanks for the info Clive, I think I am more confused than ever. I had better get it home and thes can better evaluate what I have bought. John.

A whole new subject to explore John!

Incidentally PSS is a RE abbreviation for Plant Servicing Schedule. Although there seems to be some divergance from the Army Coded ones.

Rob van Meel does a re-print parts list manual for these series of trailers.

They can be accessed here. http://robvanmeel.nl/

You can find some more information on the various types of trailer here.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3470&highlight=generator+trailer

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8818&highlight=generator+trailer

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322&highlight=generator+trailer

Morning all

John here are some images of the Liner and Orme evans lightweight saw benches

If you do decide to rebuild the trailer i have the parts list book which covers the trailer and has some part illustrations

Excuse me but the middle picturer looks more like an air compressor than a sawbench!!

Before the crash on the forum i posted some photos of my dads sawbench. It looks remarkably close to the last few picture although his is a petrol flat twin aircooled and is on Fairey Swordfish wheels n tyres... I'll take some pics of it when i'm up there next if anyones interested... dont' think its for sale though, he's been using it for clearing his woodland and firewood for years