Military Postcards

fesm_ndt

Been looking through a huge box of postcards here as I collect (well did) military ships. I have about 2 boxes of junk I am not interested in so I was digging for Mil vehicle cards to scan and post.

Found a couple which I'll scan over the weekend.

One I found has peaked my interest, though. A RAF card from "Himalayan Expedition Dhaulagiri IV 1974" Any RAF guys know that one?

• 1 month later...

Took me a month to get back to this :sweat:

Sitting here looking through my junk boxes........ I found this set of letters written by a US Navy guy in New York to his family (looks like the first one after Pearl Harbour). Why I bought them, I don't know.

Anyway looking through the dates I saw a few before December 7th 1941 so I tracked down the first one after which is dated December 31st, from Panama. Of note there don't seem to be any censorship at this point of the was as he mentions his ship as the USS Crescent City http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Crescent_City_(APA-21)

Also where he is going etc etc. I find it interesting that the amount that was mobilised such a distance in 3 weeks. I think if now we would still be doing the hse assessment.

I have to keep digging. The shame is when we were kids, stamp collecting we threw everything away but the stamp....

I like reading the backs of old postcards, with the stamps still on them... is history that way.

I need to sit down and read them all

This is another weird bit, some type of military version of a card, V Mail

Thats excellent!! and its the sort of stuff i collect, ive got lots of old papers and letters from the early 1900,s i need to sit down translate and scan one day.

All found in old houses bought and sold around here.

Christian

A lot of this style stuff fetches better prices now than a mint stamp as when the collectors do a display the have to have a theme or story.

I primaryilly collected warship postcards, so have a lot of them. Some interesting tidbits about postcards

- all the early colour ones 'everywhere' were German. I believe the rights were taken away during ww1 along with asprin etc.

- only the stamp and address was allowed on the back of the card. So most people wrote over the picture.

- some people collect deatcards which was the notification to families of a soldiers death

- tax stamps, those annoying things the government put on milk and beer bottles etc are quite sought after as typically you would tear them up to get to the contents.

A letter opened by the censorship people.

What would happen today if the goverment said we have to read all your mail :shocked:

I guess if we can't keep a Prince's location a secret, there's no point http://www.news.com.au/national/prince-harry-criticises-gossip-magazine-over-afghanistan-reports/story-e6frfkvr-1225816229095

[ATTACH]18043[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18044[/ATTACH]

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

well saw there was an old ship photo thread so I dug out some of my postcards, which I dont know if I will put here or there :confused:

but anyway I found this postcard in the box and I guess would be classed as a military postcard

[ATTACH]39611[/ATTACH]