B60

ferrettkitt

I have been sent a few pictures of a B60 engine block the owner is asking is it a Ferret engine block or does it belong with something else? K9, stationary engine?

The engine is block is grey

It has the following stamped on a plate and I've had a quick look and I can not find it in the Spares Manual for the Ferret.

RE23304

Ground off on the side of the block

FV14499?

With the leters FF in caps underneath

The last picture shows a Ferret engine block it has the letters DD cast into the side of the block.

Any ideas what its off?

Andy

I have been sent a few pictures of a B60 engine block the owner is asking is it a Ferret engine block or does it belong with something else? K9, stationary engine?

The engine is block is grey

It has the following stamped on a plate and I've had a quick look and I can not find it in the Spares Manual for the Ferret.

RE23304

Ground off on the side of the block

FV14499?

Andy,

The "RE" number is Rolls Royces own part number, the FV number ground off on the block is only a casting number, not relevant. As it is painted grey, has a civilian part number and FV casting number is ground off, I would say it was intended for a civilian application, such as a fire engine. It might just be a B61, which has bigger bores, but if it is a normal bore size B60, then I see no reason why it would not be suitable for a Humber or Ferret.

Andy, -if it is a B61, I'd still have a crack at putting it in a Ferret, you should get a little increase in performance, and slightly better mpg....also,....if you are interested, I have a rather nice, New, old stock double twin-choke carb and manifold, that will fit this engine that you are looking at (or any B60/B61 engine, for that matter).

The manifold and carbs were originally intended for a fire engine, built by HCB Angus, in Totton, near Southampton,.... but as I said, they'll fit..... and they'd give even better perfomance and mpg....If you are interested, either pm, me or give me a call 07733309685,

regards

Matt

Hi Richard & Clive

Many thanks for the info much appreciated

Andy

Andy,

The "RE" number is Rolls Royces own part number, the FV number ground off on the block is only a casting number, not relevant. As it is painted grey, has a civilian part number and FV casting number is ground off, I would say it was intended for a civilian application, such as a fire engine. It might just be a B61, which has bigger bores, but if it is a normal bore size B60, then I see no reason why it would not be suitable for a Humber or Ferret.

Andy, I would measure the diameter of the bore. If its 3.50in its a B60 & if its 3.75in its a B61.

Hi Matt

The idea sounds good improved MPG... I might be able to pass a petrol station without stopping!

I'll give you a bell on Saturday

Andy

Andy, -if it is a B61, I'd still have a crack at putting it in a Ferret, you should get a little increase in performance, and slightly better mpg....also,....if you are interested, I have a rather nice, New, old stock double twin-choke carb and manifold, that will fit this engine that you are looking at (or any B60/B61 engine, for that matter).

The manifold and carbs were originally intended for a fire engine, built by HCB Angus, in Totton, near Southampton,.... but as I said, they'll fit..... and they'd give even better perfomance and mpg....If you are interested, either pm, me or give me a call 07733309685,

regards

Matt

Or if you want something different Andy.........the B61 engines fitted in Dennis fire engines had twin SU carbs !

Must admit I've always liked SU carbs be it for a Mini or an MGB nice and simple... finding the right manifold, jets and needles would be interesting.

Nice thought wouldn't go down to well with the purists though

Andy

these carbs are......WEBER Twin choke 28/36 DCD, there are two of them, mounted on a lovely cast ally manifold, with 'HCB Angus' cast into it,:nut: and are in as new condition. They are virtually tuneable for almost any car, but apparently were standard fitment on Fiat 1300,-1500,-1800B,-2300, and Ford Capri G.T.- Cortina G.T.,and -Corsair G.T. , but fitted as single units, on each of these, so fitted as a pair on a Ferret, or Pig, you'd get a flying Ferret and a Flying Pig!:shocked:

I believe they were going to be an uprated fitment, to replace the old S.U. carbs, on the Dennis fire engines.

As a kid, I used to live right behind the Fire Station in Eastleigh, near Southampton, they still used these fire engines then, and they sounded wonderful, with their burbling throaty sounding Rolls engines, I was thinking of trying them out on my Saracen, but the manifold won't fit..... shame!:sweat:

these carbs are......WEBER Twin choke 28/36 DCD, there are two of them, but apparently were standard fitment on Ford Capri G.T.- Cortina G.T.,and -Corsair G.T.

They were fitted to the 1500GT pre crossflow Fords of the 1960s giving about 75bhp. All the important bits are changeable including the choke sizes, but they can be prone to icing unless fitted to a heated manifold or fed with warm air in the winter. Being progressive they are fairly economical when used on the first stage.

Edited by Marmite!!
Quote tags

....plenty of warm air found in the engine bay of any ferret/saracen/pig!,...I speak from experience! ouch!, the carbs also come with one of them sort of flat, wire mesh 'pancake' type air filters, fitted to each one, although, I dare say they could be 'plumbed in' to the exhisting ferret oil-bath filter,...all the spares/optional venturis and jets are still available new too, but given the size and weight of a ferret, compared to a Dennis ladder pump tender, with a few 1000ltrs of water sloshing around in it, I'd say the settings they are currently are at, would be very close.....if not guaranteed to put a smile on you face!, best make sure your brakes/tyres/reactions are up to it!:cool2:....never know, you might start anew craze -Ferret Racing!:yay::-D

Hi Andy,...can't seem to make your email address work:???, so here are the pictures, and more info about the goodies!......

here's a few pics of the carbs I was on about, the coin in a couple of the pictures is a 20pence, to show the scale of them.

As you can see they are in as new condition, all the linkages are free-moving, and the floats also, tou may be able to make out the throttle linkage, this only requires 1 cable as the linkage synchronizes the butterfly-valves, and as you move the link by hand you can see, and feel the twin chokes moving.

The chokes are seperate, but with a little simple link fitted between them can be made to operate simultaneously........ I reckon they'll bolt straight on in place of the standard ferret manifold, using either the air filters included, or plumb them into your standard ferret oil-bath, air filter..... where are you situated?

......ah Houston, we have a problem!:n00b: the pics are to good/too big to upload, can you PM, to me your email address please, and I'll send them direct...

Regards

Matt

After years of swearing at the original carb on my Dingo, I took it off and wrapped it up so as to pass it on if I sell the vehicle. I replaced it with the SU from my scrapped Austin Montego: no flat spots, starts in about a quarter of a turn of the crankshaft, better fuel consumption than a petrol landrover driven hard. Did not even have to reset the mixture or tickover. Magic!!

S*d the purists. next owner can refit the original: I want to be able to drive it.

That's about par for the course, modern materials work better with modern fuels, I have to admit, I don't know much about Dingo's, ie, engine size etc, but I reckon the biggest petrol montego/maestro was probably more powerful in bhp terms than the Dingo engine, but the Dingo, more torquey, I suspect if you went off-road with your Dingo now, you'd notice the difference with the new carb...... good on you for experimenting tho! hope it goes well, post some pictures up of your Dingo,...-I like earlier stuff than my Saracen, but it's all usually more expensive.... here's my pride and joy, before and after restoration....

07 May 03 Before Restoration #2.jpg

83 BA 78 in Arena Overlord 2009.jpg

S*d the purists. next owner can refit the original: I want to be able to drive it.

Hi John,

Funny you should mention that about a Dingo carb. I have been working on a Dingo, not used for a while, petrol was "dead" and smelly and it would not start, fresh petrol and away it went. Now my Bedford stands all winter and starts as good as ever after 6 months, on stale petrol, so I have come to the conclusion that some carb types can influence petrol problems.

After years of swearing at the original carb on my Dingo, I took it off and wrapped it up so as to pass it on if I sell the vehicle. I replaced it with the SU from my scrapped Austin Montego: no flat spots, starts in about a quarter of a turn of the crankshaft, better fuel consumption than a petrol landrover driven hard. Did not even have to reset the mixture or tickover. Magic!!

I've seen a B40 engine running with an SU carb bit of a bodge but it worked just fine I'll see if I can find the pic's