Ward La France Brake problem?

Stormin

Question

Having spent many weeks fettling my Ward La France brakes I am disappointed and shocked that the brake pedal travels to the floor!

Strangely the brakes work fine. The air moves, works the brakes and stop the truck in the first half inch of pedal travel, but there is nothing to stop the pedal being pressed further down.

I have heard that these early air brakes lacked any feel but the huge pedal travel doesn't instill any confidence.

I am currently running without the pedal return spring, as I don't have one, (using a bungy cord at moment to stop pedal falling to floor and applying brakes itself) but this can't be all that is relied on for pedal feel surely?

11 answers to this question

Hi Norman.

My pedal does exactly the same.

If something pulls out on you suddenly and the hit the brake pedal quickly - nothing happens. I have to release the pedal and apply again but under control - then it stops on a sixpence.

You can move the brake rod up on the brake application valve lever to a higher hole which did give me better braking.

You are right in there is no feel to the brakes when stationary but when moving you can apply the brakes and feel they are stopping you.

I think it's a Ward la France thing as I haven't heard of any other type of vehicle which does similar.

Regards

Markheliops

Matador brakes have a similar lack of feel. What happens on Marks truck is that the first application sort of pre-charges the brake system and the second applies them. The pipes are rather large diameter so the volume of air required to actuate the cylinders is rather large.

Mikes WLF has a modified brake system and a modern twin line brake valve. A WLF brake system could be easily and discreetly modified to a win line system which would also be safer in the event of a faliure.

All;

That generation of air brakes lacked "pedal feel" like you are used to on a hydralic system. Todays air brake valve/pedal has "feel".

If you read the TM, it states "apply the brakes gradually, a fast application could catch the operator off guard"

"Use the engine braking to its fullest, releasing the clutch just before you stop so as not to stall the engine"

Before I got my Diamond T, I drove a Ward LaFrance, and sayed the same thing, "these brakes have no feel", luckily I was going about 5 mph, I pushed the pedal to the floor, locked all the wheels and sent my passsenger lurching forward. I sayed, "brake check, they seem to work fine"

Your brakes are working as designed.

Hope this helps

John Gott