Going AWL

ArtistsRifles

Off for a weeks R&R with the caravan down in the Loire valley folks - when I get back it'll be a step closer to getting little Maude home :D:D

"See" you all in a weeks time!!!!!

Have a good one mate!Hope the weather is on your side. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

OK Folks - back again (waits for the chorus of groans....)!! :D

Had a great time - weather was perfect once we got there although the first half of the drive down was pretty awful being done at night in thick mist, rain and winds :( Still - much wine consumption and absorbtion of the suns rays soon reduced this to a minute memory. :D Even had wine tasting sessions and cave tours!!!!

Whilst there I saw adverts and signs to:

Musee des Blindes (Panzer Musee) at Saumur

• "An up to date focal point for the study of the history of 20th century conflict recounting the evolution of armoured vehicles and armaments"
  • " The world largest collection: more than 200 tanks and artillery peices from 16 different countries that are set in realistic scenarios"
  • "A museum that brings history alive though its collection of armoured vehicles that have been restored into working order and video clips that continuously illustrate how they were employed"

Web address: http://www.musee-des-blindes.asso.fr

Alas with all the planned items of the rally I never had a chance to get to this museum and have a look/take photo's - buit apparently we are going back for two weeks next year so this will be on the list of To Do items!! Has any one else been there and is it as good as it sounds????[/list:u]

Neil

So when you go back, can you go in the Salle Curiosités & could you take a picture of the Hornet for me? Preferably with mil reg & chassis plate. I'm a bit curious how they go that one :?

Will do. Return visit won't be till mid August 2007 though!!!!!

I'm looking forwards to seeing the King Tiger in the Salle Allemand and the engine for one in the Salle des Moteurs. One thing struck me - they say there's is the only working King Tiger - I thought that the one in the Russian Museum was a runner too, as were all their Tiger family?????