Victor unintentionally took to the skies

Jack

My Dad was a Vulcan pilot, Ive emailed him the story - it would be quite a kick if he fancied getting back into the seat :idea:

By law Dolly - you are going to have to tell us more about your Dads time in th cockpit! :coffee:

It was a fast taxi run, as performed many times in the past by a variety of cold war jets. This time, the aircraft lifted and due to some cockpit resource management issues, it became fully airbourne. The commander handled the situation well and put the aircraft back down.

There was no plummeting involved, no schools were narrowly avoided and few puppies were harmed!

There are several videos of it on youtube.

I did like the thread title on the Key Publishing forum - Hero Pilot Saves family of kittens from "WWII Bomber"

It was an incident that could have ended up messy, but thankfully due to a skilled pilot, didn't. But the way most of the papers have reported it, you would think the end of the world has just been avoided!

Steve

I think the news must be very slow at the moment. This happened way back on 3rd May. It was reported on all the aviation forums at the time and in the aviation press. Those of us in the aviation preservation community fail to understand why this has now been picked up by the scandal mongers and given headline coverage. All the total rubbish about flying towards the crowds etc is exactly that. The people who were there were nowhere near that end of the runway. All I can think is that someone at the paper was scouring YouTube or similar for something to fill a gap or that someone who was there decided that he could earn a fast buck. (Much like the idiots who submitted that scandalous story to the NOTW about the RAF Odiham Families Day where according to them, Chinooks were being wasted by giving 'joyrides' to kids, when in fact they were giving a thank you to the Families for their support to the hard pressed crews and engineers)

The fast taxi runs are held at Bruntingthorpe several times a year and include two Lightinings, Buccaneer, Hunter, Canberra and Comet among others in addition to the Victor.

The one thing that the press have got right is that the CAA have totally exonerated the guy in the left seat from any blame. They are bringing no action against the organisers or owners of the aircraft and fast taxi runs will continue, though they will no doubt be more careful who is in the right hand seat in future.

At Elvington, the home of the only other working Victor, they always have experienced former crew members in the cockpit when 'Lusty Lindy' is powered up and does her runs.

I know that and I'm replying today as I wans't able to be online yesterday when it all appeared in the press. What I am saying is why has the gutter press picked this up 4 months after the event happened. Being someone closely involved in airshows and preservation, the gutter press sickens me when all it can do is stir up old news.

There was an interview with the ex-pilot who put her back on the deck on early morning TV - might have been yesterday, maybe the day before complete with the obligatory YouTube clip.

It was an interesting interview as the chap could not understand (a) what all the fuss was about and (b) why it took so long before the media reacted.....

The ex Victor pilot in charge was interviewed on Radio 2 last night. He claimed that he had gone over the procedure to be followed with his no 2 who promptly froze when told to close the throttles at 100knots. He described the unladen Victor as having a tremendous performance and had reached between 120/140 knots before he managed to close the throttles at which point the bomber left the ground. He contemplated a circuit but with a mile of runway left decided to land just as a gust of wind blew him over to the left.

Make what you like of the above, but that is what he said.

On the plus side, I can pretty safely say I saw the last flight of a Victor now

I sincerely hope you are wrong Rlangham.Unfortunately I think you are spot on with this assessment. The government should assist with the restoration of historic assets such as this. I would prefer them using my hard earned tax money in this manner rather than feeding and housing asylum seekers and pledging money to Africa......!!!

I sincerely hope you are wrong Rlangham.Unfortunately I think you are spot on with this assessment. The government should assist with the restoration of historic assets such as this. I would prefer them using my hard earned tax money in this manner rather than feeding and housing asylum seekers and pledging money to Africa......!!!

I think it would more likely fly in Africa, Thunder City in South Africa, and join the Lightnings and Buccaneers.

Was at RAF Leuchars Airshow yesterday, and seen the last Vulcan flying, hadnt seen one moving since they were in service, fantastic stuff!!

And i believe it was intentionally airborne!

I am going to have to get the PlanesTV DVD when it comes out, as there was a chase helicopter filming the Vulcan when it was on its taxi run to the end of the runway, and it was a few hundred feet above it as it started its take off run, chasing it, so should be a fairly impressive bit of film.

Edited by Adam Elsdon