One for the GMCer's

Jack

Chaps, when I drive The Screaming Meemie up to Aldbourne at the weekend my top end was 33-34 mph max, I happy with that and not a problem as the truck was telling me that was as fast as it wanted to go but I liked to cruise at 30mph.

The question is, what speeds to do you reach before you change up or down? I know that it depends on what you are doinging, up or down hill etc etc but as a rule what gear do you pull away in and what speed to you change up through the box?

The reason I ask is that I just want to make sure that I am not working the box and the engine to hard or to soft......in other words, I am going screw it up :shock:

Cheers

Jack

Hi Jack

If you get a set of plates for the truck which go on the dash one of them lists the max speeds in each gear. Start off normally in 2nd. can't remember max speed, max in 3rd 19mph, 4th 37 mph, 5th 45mph.

Your truck should cruise quite happily at 40mph and this is the speed we usually travel at and don't exceed.

Cheers

Degsy

Yeah have one of those plates but I didn't want to drive their recommendations as I know that the engine is fine and can handle that but I am not so sure about the drive train, gets a bit loud and I don't want anything to go wrong at the begining of the season :cry:

The drive train is noisy Jack, you can't hold aconversation without shouting. Remember there's no sound proofing to speak of and straight cut gears howl like a banshee, if you think the soft cab is noisy what do you think it's like in the hard cab :?: :roll: :lol:

The drive train is noisy Jack, you can't hold aconversation without shouting. Remember there's no sound proofing to speak of and straight cut gears howl like a banshee, if you think the soft cab is noisy what do you think it's like in the hard cab :?: :roll: :lol:

Ok, that is starting to make sense now...........

Jack

The more you drive the old Jimmy the more you can get the feel of what is best for the truck. Mark is right on that pointm you kind of become one. They are very noisy in the cab so don't expect a pleasant conversation while out on a country drive. :D

Jack

The more you drive the old Jimmy the more you can get the feel of what is best for the truck. Mark is right on that pointm you kind of become one. They are very noisy in the cab so don't expect a pleasant conversation while out on a country drive. :D

Hey good to see you here AD.

That is good news, you just here so many scare stories about boxes, engines and clutches 'blowing up' that you tend to be slightly on edge :cry:

The noises remind me of one of my old Fordson Major tractors..... 8)