So sad

cpltomo

This is my video. I was there collecting bits for my restoration, the video was taken in 2007. There are none left. They were in the standard ex-Withams condition, missing the engine, messier dampers, optics etc. They are the ones nobody else wanted, or bid on in the tender sales.

This is my video. I was there collecting bits for my restoration, the video was taken in 2007. There are none left. They were in the standard ex-Withams condition, missing the engine, messier dampers, optics etc. They are the ones nobody else wanted, or bid on in the tender sales.

I can confirm that there was 1 left, still there last week.

I watched Jarhead last night ,I thought it was a fictional story,fadedsun!!!

I liked it though.

Liked your poetry too!

Jarhead is as close to the real Marine Corps as Governments are efficient.

It is a fictional story. If you want a more accurate view of how things are, watch Generation Kill or Full metal jacket.

As a member of the American Military, I hereby order you to watch Full metal jacket and ALL episodes of Generation Kill, back to back, no breaks...or I shall take you to the pit :)

But isn't Full Metal Jacket horrendously inaccurate and a work of fiction?

It's much closer to the how boot camp actually is. You don't see much of the fleet Marine forces, but the last 15 minutes or so was not indicative of how a squad would have worked. The sniper would have been dead in the first few minutes..

I don't doubt that at all, it's just the gear the guy's are wearing is all wrong. All the leathernecks are wearing army M56 web sets and M69 flak jackets, where as they should be wearing their M44/61 web system and the M55 flak jacket. The M41 Walker Bulldog as far as I'm aware wasn't used by the corps and the Sikorsky Choctaws were repainted Westland Wessex'.

Oh well you can't have everything I suppose if your trying to pass Beckton Gasworks as downtown Hue.

If you go to http://www.gustavhasford.com/ there is all sorts of stuff about the Gustav Hasford, the film and the text of Short Timers.

Jarhead is as close to the real Marine Corps as Governments are efficient.

It is a fictional story. If you want a more accurate view of how things are, watch Generation Kill or Full metal jacket.

As a member of the American Military, I hereby order you to watch Full metal jacket and ALL episodes of Generation Kill, back to back, no breaks...or I shall take you to the pit :)

Yes,Sir yes. I will do this very thing Fadedsun sir.

Incidentally,which character do you most identify yourself with in Full Metal Jacket?

Everyday I am underneath a 4x4 fixing a bust transmission etc I now think of how you spend your days on the beach!

Have fun,

Richard.

Yes,Sir yes. I will do this very thing Fadedsun sir.

Incidentally,which character do you most identify yourself with in Full Metal Jacket?

Everyday I am underneath a 4x4 fixing a bust transmission etc I now think of how you spend your days on the beach!

Have fun,

Richard.

Animal mother or Joker.

My favorite weapon is the m240 golf, it's just a very, very tight squeeze inside the vehicle.

The M240 is just a re-named F.N. Mag/ GPMG.

An GN Mag 58, quite possibly the most numerous and well-used Medium MG in the world, and a GOOD replacement to the horrible m60.

Fadedsun,is the M240 a derivative of the M60? Is the M60 still in service?

Sgt Hartman is pretty cool,though.I like this actor he is believable in this role somehow.I would not like him for a drill instructor though!

It's an FN Mag-58 modified to US specs, but basically the same gun as your GPMG. The M240 is the finest medium machine gun in the world.

The m60 is still in service with some parts of the navy and special forces.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman is rather tame in the movie, the most horrible stuff is left out. Hours spent on the quarter deck going from pushup to crunch position then back to POA back to bicycles and sun-gods...horrible times.

But I got my Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and became part of an elite brotherhood of warriors..so it was worth it. I cried.

I'm not an officer (yet), I'm a lance corporal..

Without sounding foolish,what are the problems with the M60 as a weapon?

I can hardly believe that the U.S. armed forces have just adopted a gun that has been in the British army's arsenal for nearly fifty years.

Maybe our guys in defence procurement did some good work (for once).:)

I think that we call it the L7 A2, but to most people,it is known as the 'jimpy '.It replaced the Bren gun which was in service in WW2.

It must be a real honour to become part of one of the most respected fighting forces in existance.

Unfortunately I am now too old to ever be a part of such an organisation and am what is referred to as an 'armchair warrior'. I sometimes wonder what might have happened if I had joined the Army when the Falklands campaign was current...

I cannot begin to imagine what beastings occur while you are training.If 'Full Metal Jacket' was easy, I would fear the reality greatly.

Take care,

Richard.

I can hardly believe that the U.S. armed forces have just adopted a gun that has been in the British army's arsenal for nearly fifty years.

I think that we call it the L7 A2, but to most people,it is known as the 'jimpy '.It replaced the Bren gun which was in service in WW2.

It must be a real honour to become part of one of the most respected fighting forces in existance.

Unfortunately I am now too old to ever be a part of such an organisation and am what is referred to as an 'armchair warrior'. I sometimes wonder what might have happened if I had joined the Army when the Falklands campaign was current...

I cannot begin to imagine what beastings occur while you are training.If 'Full Metal Jacket' was easy, I would fear the reality greatly.

Take care,

Richard.

I would not have said it replaced the Bren - known in my day as the LMG. We certainly had both weapons in the armoury in the 1970's and early Eighties. And were trained extensively on both.

GPMG, for us tended more to be a vehicle mounted weapon rather than hand-lugged. although some one did get to carry it on the odd occasion. LMG was meant to add an additional bit of "punch, where required, to the SLR and SMG - but this then takes us back in to the contentious world of the unofficially "doctored" SLR that would also fire on full auto, thus removing the need for the extra weight of the LMG..... :)

Take care,

Richard.

The m60 had almost a dozen parts that could be installed backwards and not be noticed until the weapon would not fire. Jammed frequently, had problems with the barrel changes (No carry handle on 2nd barrel), poorly designed, fragile feed system...

The m60 had a poor acceptance with the USMC, thus begetting the wonderful m240 :)

I have bad knees from boot camp due to the abuse. I'm going to be a cane-using veteran in my older years.