So sad

cpltomo

Gimpy was originally an FN design as was SLR, funny how neuteral countrys make the best weapons. Note SAW is an FN design as well

The Fn mag 58 is a BAR flipped upside down and adapted for belts, so you can technically say it's an American design :)

SAW draws some of it's design from the Kalashnikov. Look at the bolt group and you will see what I mean. Good weapon that kills.

lmg (bren) was not great as a machine gun due to its cartridge feed system...the belt fed GPMG is one of the best 7.62 machine guns in the world, providing excellent spread of fire with high fire rates and reliable operation in all types of weather conditions....and changing a hot barrel is easy peasey...I used to love being a GPMG gunner when they let me have a play with it...I accidentally killed a sheep on breckons live firing ranges once...ruined our plattoon live firing day,

The Fn mag 58 is a BAR flipped upside down and adapted for belts, so you can technically say it's an American design :)

SAW draws some of it's design from the Kalashnikov. Look at the bolt group and you will see what I mean. Good weapon that kills.

Yes but Browning worked as designer for FN, so I've heard because Colt made life a misery for him in the states.

lmg (bren) was not great as a machine gun due to its cartridge feed system...the belt fed GPMG is one of the best 7.62 machine guns in the world, providing excellent spread of fire with high fire rates and reliable operation in all types of weather conditions....and changing a hot barrel is easy peasey...I used to love being a GPMG gunner when they let me have a play with it...I accidentally killed a sheep on breckons live firing ranges once...ruined our plattoon live firing day,

Why'd it ruin the day? - you got fresh mutton (or lamb dependant on age) for your meal that night and the farmer got well recompensed by the MoD. 99 times out of a 100 we would get mutton curry for dinner the night after a live fire ex.

The LMG isn't, I think, really classified as a machine gun as such - maybe Mike (FerretFixer) can clarify this?, it's more a support weapon as it has the 30 round gravity feed mags rather than the belts of the GPMG.

Hand ups all those who remember lying there on a sustained fire session on a cold, wet, windswept range, peeing on the hot barrel of a GPMG to cool it down??? :):):)

Hand ups all those who remember lying there on a sustained fire session on a cold, wet, windswept range, peeing on the hot barrel of a GPMG to cool it down??? :):):)

A warm barrel was nice on a cold day. But as i was in cvr We didnt have that problem. but with sabre and chain gun when you uncliped the chain gun to release the hot barrel it would shot out and if you didnt catch it hit you right between the legs which is not nice with a red hot barrel. We found out very quickly welding gloves are a comanders best friend. As the silly little mole grip things in the ces kit were tottaly unless.:sweat:

The GPMG is a very good machine gun thats why it has not been replaced, I have won shooting competitions with the GPMG when I was in. I to accidedentlly killed a sheep on the breckons, we soon had it down the local butcher and our sgt had fresh Lamb!:-\ Not that these things happend.

Big Al

Why'd it ruin the day? - you got fresh mutton (or lamb dependant on age) for your meal that night and the farmer got well recompensed by the MoD. 99 times out of a 100 we would get mutton curry for dinner the night after a live fire ex.

The LMG isn't, I think, really classified as a machine gun as such - maybe Mike (FerretFixer) can clarify this?, it's more a support weapon as it has the 30 round gravity feed mags rather than the belts of the GPMG.

Our LMGs are m249 SAWs and belt fed, squad-level support, fully automatic weapons, fed from a 200rd box.

It's a fun weapon too, a very large, oversized m16 with enormous magazines :)

Gravity fed:confused: the mags a re sprung Neil... think you're getting confused with the 40mm Bofors:-D

Nope! :) Not confused - this is why: LMG mags are spring assist in comparison to the SLR mags which were spring fed. The LMG used the weight of the rounds (i.e. gravity) as well as the spring force to feed the round down to the breech. Whereas the SLR used the force of the spring to overcome gravity and feed the rounds up into the breech.

This is another reason why using the 30 round LMG mags on an SLR was not considered a good idea - after the first 20 rounds it was not uncommon to get misfeeds because the feed spring in the LMG mag was not strong enough!!