90 cm Searchlight at W & P

While at W&P I had a good chat with Mark Gillatt who owns the Tilling Stevens equipped with an operational 90 cm British Searchlight, as I used to operate these lights many years ago.

As you may know these lights are carbon arc lights and the carbon rods are burnt up in the process of running them. Mark is despirate to get hold of some more of these rods - so if any of you know of any let me know.

Incidentally Mark like many other MV owners I met was not aware of HMVF forums so I think we need to get some stickers / leaflets together with the web address to get the message across.

We've gone down the halogen route at Shuttleworth for our projector which we use at our flying proms and other events. It did make me laugh seeing the beam at night at war and peace when we have been warned by the caa about informing them and getting a licence before using it, or else. Hopefully he didn't get in trouble for using it as the vehicle looked great.

The carbon arc rods are 2 cm approx in diameter and about 30 cms long, though I suspect the measurements would be imperial rather than metric. They were made by GEC (the British GEC that is).

Two versions are needed; one which is pointed like a pencil and one without a point.

Half the time the light was shinning at ground level but at least he did move the searchlight when I was up there with him on his truck, when we spotted an airliner near the beam, on its way to Gatwick.

As for a Licence I forgot to mention this to Mark in the excitement of seeing a 70 year old bit of kit working as it should.

We thought it was a bit dodgy after the last time when airliners where being lit up.

Amazing effect when parallel beam seemed to curve over head, at low elevation, thought it was my Varyfocals till Tina commented on it as well.

I know I'm a numpty but why is a seventy year old BRITISH searchlight 90cm please ? :confused:

Good question, its because the searchlights concave mirror/reflector is classed as an optical instrument so equipment like as cameras and telescopes, were all manufactured in Europe and all measured in metric.

Incidentally Mark like many other MV owners I met was not aware of HMVF forums so I think we need to get some stickers / leaflets together with the web address to get the message across.

The word is out there... we have on average 7 new members joining everyday.. we handed out 4,000 bunker Bash flyers at W&P with HMVF featured on it & have another 36,000 to be distiributed... we usually do a few thousand at Stoneleigh...

Cinema projectors used to use carbon arcs. Don't know if they still do. Maybe you could try cinema supplies?

A mate was projectionist in a cinema and, I used to go and watch the films from the projection room for free. Anyone based in Cyprus remember the "Key Cinema" in Dhekelia?

Not of much use, I know, but about 11 years ago, I visited Upton's yard at Corowa, in New South Wales. They were clearing the last metal out of the yard, but there were still tank and vehicle parts laying around. The place was a source for many collectors in Australia over the years, I came across a huge mound of carbons, all marked "GEC Made in England", must have been several thousand. If only I had bought a load :-(

Good question, its because the searchlights concave mirror/reflector is classed as an optical instrument so equipment like as cameras and telescopes, were all manufactured in Europe and all measured in metric.

Thanks mate ! You live and learn ! :-D

Thanks for all your replies - they are very interesting.

Like you Richard I wished I had kept the boxes of carbon rods that were thrown out by my unit! And by the way it was nice to meet you at W & P though you may not remember. I was taking to you about Richard Beddell's QLs.

And by the way it was nice to meet you at W & P though you may not remember. I was taking to you about Richard Beddell's QLs.

I do recollect the subject being talked about, but cannot think to whom, you know what it is like there, so many people stop to chat about vehicles, etc. That is what is so nice about the show, meeting people.

• 2 weeks later...

Following Lee's link to a searchlight forum a chap recently posted this:

I have several cartons of GE rods packed in sawdust in steel cans.

They are in good order and I will sell the lot of these. There are about

seven cans of them.

E-mail me at anthony@firework.co.nz and I will give you photographs and

pricing including freight.

Kind Regards

Anthony Lealand

Firework Professionals Ltd http://www.firework.co.nz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Mastolf,

I've just seen your Flickr photos - I joined in 1978 and yet I hardly recognise anyone in the photos, apart from the group photo taken at Tidworth in 1976 - Captain Proud with his dog and Corporal Smallpeace, third from the left back row! Mind you I never got issued with No2s and we never wore them when I was in 873, even when we marched up Action High Street for Rememberance Day.

When did you leave 873?

• 5 years later...
I used to be in 873 Movement Light Sqaudron RE, TAVR. I've put together the following flikr page, may be of interest. I haven't had time to do much more than upload photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/873movementlight/

Thanks for sharing the photos. I had not realised they were using the light so long after WW2.