GMC's and Tyres

Mark

SHOULD JACK BUY BAR GRIPS TO FINISH OFF  

26 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD JACK BUY BAR GRIPS TO FINISH OFF

please have a vote as there seems to be a little debate going on as to whether Jack should spend a wedge and get some proper tyres for his jimmy to finsi off the work correctly

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can't really say a lot as 'windy' only has bar grips on the front. we have got the rest coming shortly but not in time for the first few shows. I am thinking about laminating a sign saying

' i know these are the wrong tyres but i am saving for a correct set. any donations greatly recieved... thank you for your contribution.' :D

ta

Berni

Ok, Jack needs a little help on this one. I placed a no vote for you. I know that tires are very expensive so I too plan on running the Norwegian tires on my truck for a little while (maybe a year or even more). If it was a jeep, that wouldn't be so bad, but here in the states, it's going to cost about $3000 not including shipping for the tires for a CCKW. Now I haven't had my truck nearly as long as any else here on the boards, but I would say that Jack should take his time and just use the tires he has now.

Alright Jack, now it's two of us against the rest, we can do this :).

Hey, good man Nick!

Thanks mate and you are right, if we stick together then we can weather out this storm.

Any one else want to join Nick and I's group - Norwegian Tire Liberation Front.

Now that you have got an ally Jack in Nick, maybe you can work out a reverse "Lend/Lease" programme to help out the states this time, but I think I am right in quoting your words that you want to get the truck back to the original dorset mob who done some camping in the 40's around your way, now my way of thinking is, would it have had Norwegian tyres on then :?:

Oh and by the way, can we vote twice :twisted:

Hey Jack,

When I bought my open cab I noticed that it handled much better with bar grips on it, but it just didn't look proper, you know you have to get the 'real' thing to really finish the old girl off. :lol: 8)

Mick.

P.S I'm sure a lot of you will be happy to know that the trike is soon going to be sold, hopefully should make place for an FV432. :cry: :D :shock:

Mick.

The Northern Jury vote No!

Just enjoy driving your truck for the season on the tyres you have. They don't leak, they go round so what more could you ask for. You've probably spent quite a few quid on the truck so far, and probably quite a lot on the house move, so put the money you save into petrol to keep filling the tank for the season!!

You can always purchase some at a later date if the "Nagging Wives" in here won't let it drop!

You've worked hard, now just go out and enjoy it.

Steve

Now that you have got an ally Jack in Nick, maybe you can work out a reverse "Lend/Lease" programme to help out the states this time

Now that's what I'm talking about, lets get some of those old warriors back here in the states. Now that I think of it, anyone have a weasel they want to send back? Oh, and a directors trailer to haul the weasel around in. Hmm, I better stop now or else my list will just keep on growing. :oops:

Jack, just drive the truck on Norwegian tyres until they wear out! In the meantime save for another set, which might well be another set of Norwegian tyres going cheap because someone else really wants bar grips :D

According to some people my Ford F15A has the wrong type of tyres. But I refuse to replace them before they are worn out. Even then, I'll probably replace them with bar tread tyres, as the only Dunlop Trakgrips available are Ferret tyres which are a) runflats, so they give a harsh ride, b) expensive.

Hanno

24figure2.jpg

Yes, absolutely, I won't being anything else.

I bought the GMC to drive it and to enjoy it, don't see by putting bar treads on it is going to change that, lets be grown about it, my GMC is ex Norwegian, it is 62 years old and is going to have a stack of post war mods on it.

I fully understand where people are coming from and if I was doing a full rebuild then yes, I would put BT's on it as this would complete it but have a look at these costings below and see which one is more attractive;

Bar treads are going to cost me £100 a tire when fitted and when you take into account the shipping of 11 tires =£1100+

Cost of a restoration Dodge WC52 = £2750

So, the cost of putting BT's on the GMC is over a third of the cost of a Dodge...vanity is insanity. The figures just do not add up to me as I would rather put the money towards a WC which I am going to get a hell of a lot more bang for my buck. We would then have another Dodge on the road and another story to tell. That said and if I had money to burn then yes I would whack some BT's on there but my Norwegian tires are going to last me a long long time.

On that point, how many 'road' miles do you get out of BT's and how many out of Norwegian - that may be the way that you balance it.

Best wishes.

Jack.

I bought the GMC to drive it and to enjoy it, don't see by putting bar treads on it is going to change that,

Jack.

You could have done that , driven it and enjoyed it, without bothering to paint it! Not sure of your argument here?

I bought the GMC to drive it and to enjoy it, don't see by putting bar treads on it is going to change that,

Jack.

You could have done that , driven it and enjoyed it, without bothering to paint it! Not sure of your argument here?

No argument here, point being I don't understand how BT's would improve the pleasure, where as painting it I can...........I didn't want a yellow-red GMC where as I don't care about the tires..........

But YOU DO care about the tyres. We have been discussing for weeks your impression of a DEWLISH based Signals Corps truck. That time frame places you firmly in a 1940's 3 week period. The green paint the stars and markings already fitted, tell us that. The tyres are just another part of that impression.

I cant follow your argument.

But if improving it visually by painting it increases the enjoyment then so does fitting bar grips surely????????

Well this where it comes down to your own thoughts, tastes and objectives.

For me painting it the correct colour ( there is another issue) was visually important, BT's aren't important to me.

My M201 has the Kleber tyres ( correct spelling? ). Even if I had a wartime MB or GPW, I would probably still use the same tyres because of the use of the vehicle. On a light weight like a jeep, bargrips and wet tarmac don't mix, and I know people with bent jeeps as a result.

Purists would frown at me, but it is my choice for a safer drive.

Perhaps if Jack was a multi-millionaire, he would go straight out and buy bargrips for the truck, but for many people, their restorations are a compromise between originality, affordability and practicallity. I support Jack's choice to put a four figure sum into a new vehicle rather than ten lumps of rubber.

If and when finances allow, he may want to change the tyres, but until then, the only person he needs to satisfy is himself.

Steve

But YOU DO care about the tyres. We have been discussing for weeks your impression of a DEWLISH based Signals Corps truck. That time frame places you firmly in a 1940's 3 week period. The green paint the stars and markings already fitted, tell us that. The tyres are just another part of that impression.

I cant follow your argument.

Like I have said -No argument here, point being I don't understand how BT's would improve the pleasure, where as painting it I can...........I didn't want a yellow-red GMC where as I don't care about the tires..........

My Dodge came with WWII like tires, if not I would not have changed it. I want it to look original but it's not worth €4000 to me.

Paint, markings etc, those are the things the general public notices, but tires? It would be odd if Jack converted it to a semi tracked GMC but other then that....