GMC's and Tyres

Mark

SHOULD JACK BUY BAR GRIPS TO FINISH OFF  

26 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD JACK BUY BAR GRIPS TO FINISH OFF

I have a Hotchkiss with Klebers, my brother in law has on the other hand recently fitted bar grips to his for purely aesthetic reasons. He says the bar grips aren't as good off road as the original Klebers so I will be sticking with those. However that didn't stop me voting YES for Jack's tyres, just because.........um...........I think he should.

Bar treads (on a WC) are bloody awful off road and on road in the wet! I went the other way and took off bar treads (old ones with about 50% tread) and put on cloverleafs. Not that i do a lot of off-roading in my WC51 but the difference is remarkable. Bar treads have very little lateral grip not so good on heavy cumbersome vehicles, (not to mention the difference in price £500 for a dodge). My mates WC51 can get stuck in about 4 inches of wet mud in 4x4 on BT'ds whereas I've had mine up over the tops of the hubs in the muck and it just keeps going. Bar treads, like dinosaurs, had their time in the tyre evolution and were replaced with better gripping, longer lasting, safer treads. Just cause you can get them, doesn't necessarily mean you should put them on. You wouldn't put soft compound slick tyres on your E type just cause you could get them... well y'could but you'd be in the ditch 200 yards up the road!!

Still, whilst everyone is slinging out their 900x16 cloverleafs I'll have 'em!

I voted no BTW just in case you hadn't guessed :wink:

The Norwegians probably know more about bad weather driving than anyone, so I'd follow their advice. Several of the North East guys use clover leaf treads rather than bar grips on their WC51/52's.

You'd be miffed if you changed to bar grips and slid off the road on a wet day soon after. I would say it is also a good idea to learn to drive the vehicle first, before considering a tyre swap.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure if anyone here had read the piece that" Dr duce" posted on "The GMC CCKW" site thats currently down. But I ll think its important to tell you that he says , basically you need to have at least 4 of the 8 rear tires all the same diameter or circumference , tread pattern does not matter , in the four outer tire positions you can use smaller diameter tires on the four inner locations , the reason being that if you run different diameter tires in any of the rear outer 4 tire positions you will have the two axles fighting each other by way of the 3 driveshafts 6 universal joints 3 slip joints, the pillow block bearing and the transfercase.

Also not to rotate the rear tires to different positions front tires will last 3-5 thousand miles the rears around 20-30,000 replace fronts don't swap with rears

• 1 month later...

Hullo Jack:

I've just returned to Canada from several months military duty in Kenya and passed through the UK on my way home. While in Bristol visiting close family friends, I decided to join the CCKW crowd and purchased a nice little hard cab 352B1 which will be shipped to Ottawa in short order. My Regiment used the 352's in Korea as gun tractors for the 25 pounder, hence my interest.

By the way, check out the 10.50X16 chevron tread tyres now available in USA and Canada. Good photos on the Maple Leaf Up forums.

Cheers and Ubique!

Mike Calnan

http://www.calnan.com/swords