Ferret Details

Slimjim34655

Question

I am rather new here, and considering a ferret project. Does any one here have any detailed pictures of the bolt pattern on the engine bell housing, or the transmission, as well as pictures of an empty engine bay (measurements would make you a god among men)? Also, does any one have information on the gear ratios for the vehicle?

I am still hunting for a place to get them in the States, we'll see how that one goes. :cool2:

24 answers to this question

Gear Ratios

1st - 6.046:1

2nd - 4.381:1

3rd - 2.437:1

4th - 1.569:1

5th - 1.0:1

Transfer box 1.347:1

Bevel box 1.923:1

Hub reduction MK1 MK11 2.400:1

MK 3, 4, 5 3.50:1

Overall ratios. MK 1 + 2 MK 3,4,5

1st 37.580:1 54.80:1

2nd 27.640:1 39.78:1

3rd 15.150:1 22.13:1

4th 9.754:1 14.24:1

5th 6.217:1 9.08:1

Best wishes Dave

Wow, thank you for the prompt responses!

Topdog: I am looking into this for a real one (if I can find what I'm looking for in the US). The measurements that I am looking for are the dimensions of the engine bay, as well as the measurements for the bolt pattern for where the engine bolts to the transmission. Thanks for the offer for the CD, if you find it, send me a PM (and sorry about your, ummm, fingers?).

sirhc: I know, you don't like the idea I have in mind, but right now that's all it is, just an idea... How much Torque does that engine put out any way? I keep seeing the horse power (which is dismal) so maybe seeing the other half of the picture might put things into perspective for me?

Torque 207lbs/ft (gross) 195lbs/ft (net) at 2000rpm.

Not everything in life is related to the bhp output! The engine has to shift 4 tons at almost 60 mph. Ferrets might not be a Ferrari when it comes to acceleration, but they are not slow either, especially for a vehicle built in the 50s. However it does have 1950s vehicle brakes, you need to remember that you're stopping that weight at that speed using 4 fairly inefficient drum brakes.

If you're thinking about an engine swap you need to consider the unique drive layout of the Ferret, with the single differential, H shaped transmission, epicyclic pre-select gearbox, hub reduction gears etc etc! It's not just a case of fitting something else into the engine bay.

You really need to get this book before going any further:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferret-Datafile-1_W0QQitemZ140332052448QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item20ac712fe0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Chris

Thanks Chris, I understand the challenges and hurtles involved, and I certainly would be interested in upgrading the breaks as well. I understand that BHP isn't everything, I was just saying that was all any one else mentions on information sites about the vehicle, so thank you, I have a better picture of the B60 now.

Honestly I would prefer to start with a gutted rolling chassy (ok, I would want the drive train parts installed as well) if I could find one for the right price, or if I could find any at all! I don't want to destroy a historic piece, I want to revive a dead hulk that would otherwise rust away, and breath new life into it. Consider my wife and I signing up to design the Ferret 2000. Same great design, same great look, but revived in a way that would make it relevent on the battle field once again...

I don't mean to step on any ones toes here, I don't clame to be a historical restorer, then ignore the history, I am what I am, and I can never leave well enough alone (for better or worse).

Thank you all, I do appreciate the imput.

I'd have to agree with you here.

Better to "revive a dead hulk" than let it rust or go to the great scrapyard in the sky.

The Jordanians have modified their ferrets with diesel engines (I have a picture of one with a recoilless rifle on a mount stuck above the engine bay) and the Ferret 80 concept used a diesel with an automatic transmission

If you join the ferret heaven group on yahoo, you can get some more info from there.

btw. I often threaten my ferret with a diesel engine and auto transmission when I'm working on it (Not that'd I'd do it)

Edited by Toner

slimjim,

Where in Florida do you live?

I'll be in Pensacola here in a few months after AT. I can help you find one..I know a guy with 3 canadian mk1 ferrets in Florida, projects, that would only be too happy to let them go..5-7000$ range.

I'll have to dig around my pictures to find the Jordanian ferret with the recoiless rifle.

In the meantime, here are a couple of ones that have been rebuilt by Jordan.

The one that doesn't look like a ferret is apparently called a Stallion.

sofex_2006_Special_forces_operations_defence_exhibition_Ferret_Upgrade_001.jpg

sofex_2006_Special_forces_operations_defence_exhibition_Ferret_Upgrade_002.jpg

IDEX_2007_Defence_Static_Show_015.JPG

Toner:

Wow, the stallion is pretty impressive, I found it when you first mentioned the Jordanian Ferret, but it is hard to believe that it was originally a ferret, it looks like they removed all of the hull but the base, and completely re-worked the whole thing. Now as for the Jordanian Ferret with the recoiless rifle, I wish it said more than "four cylinder diesel" in the engine description, but that would be too easy.

so, whats your opinion of the tyres on that Jordanian ferret? They look a bit narrower than the Dunlop RFs

There are very similar ones on ebay at the moment, wonder if they would look out of place?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/900x16-280-85x16-Silverstone-MT117-Tyres-Mud-Terrain_W0QQitemZ230357025173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item35a2594195&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is a better picture of the Jordanian ferret.

Alvis also came up with a reworked version with a Perkins Phaser diesel engine, Chrysler automatic transmission and an aluminium hull.

I was told that the Jordanian Ferrets were running Toyota power plants???.

I'll have to dig around my pictures to find the Jordanian ferret with the recoiless rifle.

In the meantime, here are a couple of ones that have been rebuilt by Jordan.

The one that doesn't look like a ferret is apparently called a Stallion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12162&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1247342638

I quite like the look of it. But every time i see it. I keep thinking of this...................................

3179%20picc.jpg