Firefly Project

ajmac

So you're taking your Sherman back to its wartime condition rather than a M4A4(transforme) as it would be in French post war service?

If it is being done as a M4A4 T , you could better make it into a TT , there is plenty room for 2 radials in the engine compartment , So were are these 18 cilinder radials ?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maurice

So were are these 18 cilinder radials ?

There was a 3 bank -the Lycoming T1300 -three 6 cylinder Lycoming aircraft motors ganged together and fitted probably with some difficulty into an M3A1 its displacment was 1300cu inches and developed 560hp and is supposed to make the hapless M3A1 rattle along at 40mph.

There were also twin bank versions of the 9cylinder Guiberson T1020 -the T2040 and again a twin version of the T1400 - T2800 and would have produced 474 and 685HP respectively had they been completed for installation into the Sherman

Steve

Normaly the french army put (if i understand ) C1 continental radial 9 cylinder engine After war I don't know if they put some C4 engine.

Technically, for me it's more easy to put an radial engine in my tank .

Simply ,i have one run engine:-D .

But i'd like to replace the orginal engine . At this time i don't have one and maybe i will never have one ...

Having an original engine is an advantage

But in my case i should already restored all the tank before thinking about the engine i will put in .

That will be a feat to restore my "trash"

I think that putting an too much powerfool engine is not a good thing .

Hi All,

I remember reading in an early issue of Military Machines International of another Multi bank engined M4A4 in running order in the UK. It was with C&C Services(?) iirc.

Whatever happened to it? I see that Adrians is stated as being the only runner in the UK?

Dave.

I'm not sure if Adrians is the only one at the moment (it wouldn't be a surprise though), but isn't Rex C working towards completion of his Sherman Vc running with a Multibank. A running original Vc in the UK, hurray!

Are the photos of the Cadman Firefly in Mark Haywards book, photos of the one that hs is currently working on, or does he have more than one project vehicle?

Edited by ajmac

Hi All,

I remember reading in an early issue of Military Machines International of another Multi bank engined M4A4 in running order in the UK. It was with C&C Services(?) iirc.

Whatever happened to it? I see that Adrians is stated as being the only runner in the UK?

Dave.

The C&C M4A4 was sold to a US collector and is still in the UK awaiting shipment. More work has been done on it as the original rebuild was only to a running condition, no internal work having been completed other than the bare minimum.

I wouldn't say mine is the only runner. There is the C&C example and the Firefly and Crab at Bovington are both potentially capable of running. I think mine is the only M4A4 restored fully from a wreck anywhere in the world and possibly the only one in the UK that could be driven at this moment in time (unless the batteries are flat.....:-D)

I'm not sure if Adrians is the only one at the moment (it wouldn't be a surprise though), but isn't Rex C working towards completion of his Sherman Vc running with a Multibank. A running original Vc in the UK, hurray!

Are the photos of the Cadman Firefly in Mark Haywards book, photos of the one that hs is currently working on, or does he have more than one project vehicle?

The Cadman Firefly is the one in the book and is partially restored but a long way from being finished. As far as I know, no work on an engine has yet been attempted though Rex does have about five to choose from, though all from ranges.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

It was seen during a parade in the 1980s gun tank not dozer, but I can't remember if it is the rome museum example or whether it is part of the Italian Army collection -they also have various Italian (obviously) mobile exhibits such as a Semoventi M42 a M14/42 or M13/40 and a P26/40.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Keep up the good work Maurice. Do you have a target date, or is your project finished, when it is finished....like mine! My wife keeps telling me that I haven't got very far with it, I disagree of course:laugh:

Firefly project is still coming along , here a picture from the turret basket being reconstructed with original , and new parts .[ATTACH=CONFIG]60282[/ATTACH]

Hello Maurice,

would you like to share some photos of your tank, showing the entire hull and turret? I would like to add your vehicle to this list, because I think that it is currently missing :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Sherman_Fireflies.pdf

thanks

Pierre-Olivier