New canvas leaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R Cubed

Question

Whats going on here then am I missing something here or does it need time to settle in :shocked:

Put it on this morning and this afternoon it rained and now the inside of the canvas is all wet and there are drips forming all over the inside :shake::shake::shake:

H

E

L

P

!

!

wot o rcubed, i got new canvas from worthings this april in sand colour which i believe is a bit thinner than his green and it has not leaked one drop, i think degsys right, complain if that does t work set the wife on them :cool2:

regards graham

wot o rcubed, i got new canvas from worthings this april in sand colour which i believe is a bit thinner than his green and it has not leaked one drop, i think degsys right, complain if that does t work set the wife on them :cool2:

regards graham

:argh::argh::argh::argh: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh after the day I have had they wouldn't want to argue with me, thats for sure!!!!!!!!!

Lets hope its just settling in eh,we shall see..........................................

Yes quite right about the Weathershield great stuff use it a lot on the rear canvas, soon to do our BIG tent probably many many gallons, but am a little wary to do it to new canvas !!!!

Thanks for all the input, will keep you all posted.

As you all know we "ALLIED FORCES" sponsor this site so I do not intend getting into an argument over whos canvas products are best.I am sure when buying canvas goods you all weigh up the for and against of suppliers whether it be the cost, colour of the canvas or the quality of the end product. I just want to comment on some of the points raised by the forum members so far.

Degsey is right, first of all go back to the supplier tell them about the problem you have and hopfully they can sort it. If you think about it logicaly if you bought some duff food say from Tesco you would return it to them not go on a relevent "Food suppliers" forum.

I dont know where Bigredones friend bought his jeep hood from, it was not one of ours as we dont have a seam down the middle.Again go back to the supplier and complain.

I dont think putting detergent on new canvas would be a good idea as it would probably destroy the proofing agent.

The canvas we use comes already rot and weather proofed it does NOT need extra proofing of any kind. I know people have used Thompsons weather seal to good effect on old canvas, but I have never used it so cannot comment.

Hope this helps.

Jim.

Yep Thomsons Weathersheild is the dogs. Doesn't change the colour unlike one of the tent proofers I bought that cost 4 times as much!! I did the Dodge canvas with it and it improved the gallonage down my neck a hundred fold.

New canvas shouldn't leak but it never hurts to give it a splosh over. Don't spray it on it water proofs things and I don't think waterproof lungs work so good. "I'm an engineer Jim not a Doctor."

Phil P

Tony the Dodge canvas was 10 years old. I steam cleaned it first and when it was dry did the Weathersheild treatment. It was going dry and stiff and I thought well kill or cure and it was the latter. Like I always say I only post what I have tried with success.

It even softened the leather straps.

Phil P

Weathershield workrd well on the Bedfords canvas,..........no good on the holes, though. :cry:

wasn't much good for my lawn either as I did my canvas off the vehicle but the green returns slowly (esp with all this rain)

not a drop inside anymore - brilliant stuff at a cheap price

Hi Jim thanks for the concern.

After the first couple of times it has rained since I put it on, it has got steadily more and more water tight, to the point at which now even with the latest torrential down pours it does not leak one little bit. Well happy much better than the old holey roof...

By the way what went wrong with your Sherman ?

Tanks in Town was my first time there and I can't explain what its like, you just have to be there.......

Shame you did not make it to T.I.T.'s would have been great to see 8 Sherman's in a row, where else would you see that......

Hi Jim thanks for the concern.

After the first couple of times it has rained since I put it on, it has got steadily more and more water tight, to the point at which now even with the latest torrential down pours it does not leak one little bit. Well happy much better than the old holey roof...

By the way what went wrong with your Sherman ?

Tanks in Town was my first time there and I can't explain what its like, you just have to be there.......

Shame you did not make it to T.I.T.'s would have been great to see 8 Sherman's in a row, where else would you see that......

What the cubed one doesn't point out here is, who actually braved the rain and went and had a look in the truck to make sure it wasn't leaking??????? :shake: