Alvis Stalwart Mk1 Rebuild

madrat

I've got a rare opportunity to get some bits for the stolly so I was having a better look at what I'd bought yesterday. Came to the conclusion that I dont have much Idea whats what on the stolly and wondered if you folk could help me identify some bits (or lack of) from the following pics...

stollybits1.jpg

1+2) Any idea what these bits are for?

stollybits2.jpg

3) Where should these go to?!

stollybits3.jpg

4) What the hell is that for and where would it go?!

stollybits4.jpg

5) Something to do with brakes? Two of the pipes are cut, any idea where they would go to?!

stollybits5.jpg

6) What should have been on top of here and where should the cut wires go to?

stollybits6.jpg

7) Should these be connected? And what are they for?

stollybits7.jpg

8) What are the wires around the fans for?

9) Any idea what these pipes are?

stollybits8.jpg

10) Fuel filler?

11) Is this for engine oil?!

Thanks in advance!

Can't get to the manuals for a while due to house upheavals (AKA new kitchen) but:

Arrow 5 might be the air flask for the air over hydraulic braking system? In which case the missing hose might have gone to the compressor???

Arrow 8 is part of the fire-wire system that runs all round the engine bay - somewhere in the cab should be a dirty great red light with an exceedingly loud buzzer attached. On a working system if that goes off your first action is to Stop immediately, Your next action is to grab and pull the red fire extinguisher handles and your third action is to get out -FAST!! Time from buzzer to bail should be measured in seconds as you are sitting up top of a 100 gallon fuel tank.

Arrow 11 is either engine oil or hydraulic oil - can't recall which is which on a Mk 1 right now!!

I'll let you have them for £25.00... just hit the best offer button :-D

Top man, Thanks! Just paid for them, I guess it was worth dropping £10 to stop me clogging up the forum with stupid questions :n00b:

You know that now I'll end up buying an mk2 to justify owning the manual

From memory those tanks 1 and 2 are engine oil and hydraulic oil.

No 4. is attached to those cables and is the securing plate for the fuel tank.

Niel has answered a couple and the others i cant remember right now.

You boys must remember where the fuel goes, I take it that it goes in the biggest hole (No 10)?! :rofl:

• 4 months later...

Madrat I have to admire you. wishing you all the best for this restoration. Always fancied a Stolly, but until the Explorer's finished I don't think Mrs Daz would hear of it! Good luck mate. Much better than it rotting away or being cut up. :-D

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone confirm that the stolly pictured in these posts is still owned as I have been offerd a Stolly that has had a great deal of mechanical work done but the cab and bodywork look almost identiacal to the one pictured?

Certainly not mine, its not had any mechanical work done to it for 15 years! Did you end up getting one Carbuilder2002?

Those Manby stolly's are looking rather sad now :cry: The manby advert was one of the reasons I ended up buying this one, I've got a soft spot for these unloved trucks! Just got me thinking :idea:

Thanks for the positive comments Daz, this is going to make the Scammell resto look like an oil change, looks like 2010 will be a quite year for business so hopefully will have a stack of time then to get stuck into it!

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out to be an early mkII should have spotted the sloping windows, think was to gobsmaked by the size of the thing. Sgtill got an option to buy but looking for nce dry storage for it.

Anyone know of any suitable storage in the East Durham erea?

Been looking at small industrial units but the doors are too narrow???

Can any one confirm the width and height several websites give varying dimensions the most popular being 2.8m wide and 2.4 m high.

Naturally it will need the swim gear re-installing.

Thanks.

Turned out to be an early mkII should have spotted the sloping windows, think was to gobsmaked by the size of the thing. Sgtill got an option to buy but looking for nce dry storage for it.

Anyone know of any suitable storage in the East Durham erea?

Been looking at small industrial units but the doors are too narrow???

Can any one confirm the width and height several websites give varying dimensions the most popular being 2.8m wide and 2.4 m high.

Naturally it will need the swim gear re-installing.

Thanks.

Width can vary - depends on whether the suspension has been "flattened" to take some of the load off the Tracta's Work on a nominal 2.62 metres and allow another 0,3m metres either side for clearance for safety when looking at access apertures. See the pics below for why - clearance there is maybe 25mm either side at the narrowest point!!!!!

Height is approx 2.31 metres at the highest pont of the body (cab aerofoil) without the ridgpole in place. Add another 0.4 metres for the ridgepoles plus whatever you feel is safe for the access aperture.

Hope this helps!

c022.jpg

c001.jpg

c025.jpg

More nerve than you might think Degsy - 'cos (A) that is a listed building and (B) The upper level construction is so badly in need of repair that if I did get it wrong I'd be sitting in a pile of rubble approximately big enough to build a Victorian gate house!! :shake: :shake: :shake:

Oh - and © Stuart would never talk to me again as, depending on which way I was going, his Saracen would either be stuck inside or outside of the Fort!!!

Used to do it on two of the arches in Conwy town walls and at the Menai suspension bridge, it was virtually an interference fit and going through at speed I never touched anything but go through slowly and would touch a mirror on the stonework nearly every time.:-D

• 4 years later...
  • 6 years later...