Bicycle Info Needed

Barry C

I brought a British WW2?? bicycle back to Canada from Holland this summer. I had been looking for a bike at Beltring but didn't want a folding bike. It's just to hang on my truck and use at meets. My question is how do I find the manufacturer and where can I get parts? I have found a lot of numbers below the seat post but don't know their significance. Any help is most appreciated.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Barry,

I have to say that I really fundamentally like my two-wheelers to have engines but they do sometimes come from the same manufacturers !

I thought you might like to see a picture of an Enfield military Mk V

width=150 height=109http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9292/26rz0.th.jpg[/img]

I think that you could probably pin down your bike's origins a bit by checking thread forms and sizes. If there are any metric sizes then it's likely to be european but if they're mostly 26 tpi cycle thread and take a Whitworth spanner then it probably came from the British isles

What make is the saddle? Brooks or Browns are the standard English, and can still be got. A lanolin dreesing is best for treating it. Slack the leather down when you treat it. the rear brake should be in the hub, that is more continental then English.Visuallythere is very little diffrence bettween dutch and English.

Thanks for the Enfield photos. I have a tool bag just like that one laying around. It has no straps and the mice have eaten a corner but maybe I will use it. There was a beauty pre war Enfield at Beltring but I didn't buy it :dunno: I don't know why. It had the original decals and everything. It would have been a shame to paint it green though. I must have gone and looked at it about 20 times. I never thought of the diferent threads so I will have to check that.

The saddle is a Brooks but may not be indicative of what country the bike is from. Dirk had a couple of saddles and I just picked the best looking one. What does "slack" mean?

Thanks again

Barry

Barry, as you suggest, Brooks saddles are very common in The Low Countries. The bikes in factories here (yes, really !) often have them as they are far harder-wearing than the modern stuff.

Just what Tony means by "slack" depends on where he's from. If he's from "oop North" then he might mean "coal" but he probably means loose - with the tension off !

If you haven't come across the different spanner sizes yet, then you'd better start tool collecting (a worthwhile hobby in itself !) If you start using English (or 'murrican) spanners on metric bits you'll soon round everything off (believe me, I know, I trashed all the Weinmann and Campagnolo parts on my old Holdsworth because I :whistle: didn't know metric existed !

Just what Tony means by "slack" depends on where he's from. If he's from "oop North" then he might mean "coal" but he probably means loose - with the tension off !

blimey if I came from any futher South I'd be French :-D

Yeah loose the tension off the screw at the front underside of the saddle. When treating the saddle with leather dressing do it from underneath, this is the 'Flesh ' side, the top is tanned to make it waterproof.