Munga talk...

Snapper

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that I kept our end up and did get to show my Munga at the Great Dorset Steam Fair again this year. It was amongst the MB's, Champs and Landrovers but did stand out. Suprising that a fair number of MVT guys had not seen one before so they must be getting rare. Must start on the 6 soon.

• 3 weeks later...

ITS ON!!:dancinggirls:

Yep its on , the body has been bolted today , very close with those tyres on , but been told they should be ok .

In some of the pics , it had wooden blocks under it ,so thats why it looks taller.Dad wil be able to carry on with other jobs on it now . Im sure i heard him making brum brum noises in the last picture:drive:

100_3128.jpg

100_3117.jpg

100_3118.jpg

100_3126.jpg

100_3146.jpg

100_3148.jpg

100_3145.jpg

100_3143.jpg

100_3138.jpg

100_3137.jpg

100_3135.jpg

100_3136.jpg

100_3151.jpg

well today i am in bits---really really brassed off.. just finished a couple of months fixing my mungas gearbox front seal leak and hi lo adjuster problems and had just returned to the road in the old girl and was using it in a low budget movie today--when the bloody gearbox went and had a fit. and I feel its a serious one. it was parked up and not being used, but i was needed to shunt some kit down to set in it, got in hit the starter and it wouldnt catch--thought it might be in gear so dropped the clutch and wiggled the stick---nope it was in neutral---then hit the starter again---with the clutch down. engine roars to life--no probs, i lift off the clutch--so it can idle while talking to someone and the engine immediately stalls. just like its in gear but while in neutral- the car doesnt move at all though--no lurch like a stall normally gives. puzzled i try starting again with the clutch down----no prob--fires up--then i slip into first--no prob--i lift clutch and again a stall but without any lurch.

i get out and try to move the car by pushing but its stuck as if in gear. i rock it while having a friend waggle the shifter--nothing.. i check the handbrake--its all in order and no issues to be seen.i drop the cluch and try pushing again and this time it rolls freely. I assume its the troublesome hi lo again,, so dissasemble it. as far as can be told from what could be felt in the gap between cover and gearbox casing (the covers a sod to remove fully with the gearbox in the car) it seems ok. I experiment by adjusing cables--clutch and hi lo selector--no effect. left with no option but to recover the vehicle i have to accept a tow, with me sitting in it with clutch pedal on the deck. after a couple of miles it frees up. and i think great might be able to limp home now---but no go now it wont go into gear at all--a big time "sccrrruunnnnnccching" noise every time i attempt to shift. so piXXed off i sit out the tow home--with a bloody down pour adding insult to injury --(roof is off pending restoration) the old lady is home now parked up safely under a tree, im drying out, and tomorrow i am looking at yet another engine and gearbox out job. really really upset about that.

Thanks mate--im hoping to sort it too, im going to have a punt on a spare gearbox i think I saw for sale and see if i cant solve the problem by swapping the entire transmission out. im getting better as a mechanic every time i fiddle but the prospect of having to go deep into the boxs innards doesnt make me feel good.

slightly off topic, but while sitting sitting staring at my currently transmissionally challenged munga i on a whim hit ebay and unexectedly wound up spending money---i know own this--1958 simca unic

301041_10150312402206903_719616902_8349644_982158410_n.jpg

I bought it from a guy on the isle of wight, According to to him it was in the islands military museum from 99 till this year and has only done 7600 km from new. (i will be checking up on that with the museum) but checking aside its mechanically in very very good condition and drove back about 140 miles from the island to my home without a problem.

of course i did spend £138 on fuel though,,:wow:

what do you think fellas?

Hi Mitch

I haven't regretted buying my SUMB last year - I am slowly refitting it as a wireless truck (I know I should really use a 101FC to take a Clansman station into the field but the SUMB is 1/2 the cost, bigger and easier to work on!).

Drop me a PM if you need any info - I have most of the manuals and some production history. Other good sources of info on these trucks are http://www.tm-ww2.com in France and a couple of French websites linked from mine http://www.g0ozs.org/marmon and the YouTube postings of "monsieurp4"

Congratulations on your purchase!

Iain

Thanks for that Ian, I will definately be plumbing you for info and have already checked out your website (it came up on a google search) you have some great pics I must say your one looks in very good condition--great job so far. (i love the padlock and chain on the door!) I certainly wouldnt mind getting my hands on a manual for this beasty. I would love to see your one sometime as well, if only to see what the differences are between a unic and a sumb (very few I would think)

cheers Ian!

Mitch

The U in SUMB is UNIC they were made By Simca at the UNIC works using Marmon 4x4 transmission to the design of M. Boquet

As far as I can understand from French sources the prototypes were 1958/59 and series production from 1962 to 1969/70 with the bulk being made from 1962 to 1966 - the full breakdown is in "charge u t i l e" magazine nos 108 through 110 which are easily found on e-Bay - I do suspect that many UK importers registered year of first manufacture having nothing to suggest actual date - mine has a serial just over 14000 which is hard to reconcile with a known production of 10k and a v5 saying 1959. ...

At least one importer who used UK registrations starting KSJ also registered them at empty (dry) weight of 3460KG for delivery by road only - i think they were only expected to be used off road as crew/gun busses - so I always run mine without the spare wheel to stay under that - the makers plate gives 3600KG empty equipped and 5300 full load. Check your V5!

Iain

Edited by g0ozs

Just noticed iPhone spell check changed a French word to an offensive English one in my last post - now edited to correct with spaces between letters - apologies!

Edited by g0ozs

Thanks Ian, that explains a fair bit, when its daylight i will check all the makers plates in the cab (it seems to have about 5 of them) for the serial number, if your right about the production years and my ones got the correct dates then i would think mine might well possibly be one of the prototypes. anyway,, i think we should move the posts over to the over thread lest i stir the wrath of my fellow munga owners for hijacking their thread.