leyland drops gearbox problems

Max

Back in 1991 when I was on the REME course for Leyland DROPS, diagnosis and repairs, one whole week out of the three was on diagnostics of the ZF auto box. Not something you can fiddle with unless you have knowledge of them. A run down on your problems in detail might allow someone to help you work it out.

I bought a Drops from Withams a few years ago, never had it registered because a collegue from work was ex reme/ foden recovery. He always warned me about the drops : it is not a matter if it will go wrong only a matter WHEN it will go wrong. He said they had gearbox problems all the time whereas the foden drops, with the same gearbox never broke down. He could not tell   the matter of the breakdown . 

One person told me that the british army use engine oil in the gearbox although ZF prescribes ATF to their specifications. 

Should I take it on the road or will it be a financial disaster. ??

The Leyland Drops has covered thousands of miles while in service l see them every day been still used for driver training  if they where unreliable  the army would have replaced them all with the MAN. trucks yes some may have had problems  so will any vehicle even the new  MAN fleet