"Airline" 1982 TV series

matchlesswdg3

Am now watching a DVD of the original series starring Roy Marsden set in the immediate post-WW2 period (demobbed Flight Sergeant with chips on both shoulders sets up a cargo airline). It's a treat for DC3 lovers and there is also a good variety of WW2 MVs.........Austin Tilly, Bedfords, Dodges, etc. Interestingly, a lot of these, while in running condition, are somewhat tatty which fits pretty well with their tired post-War demobbed condition in austerity Britain........they look more convincing than many of the immaculate glammed up show queens that you tend to see on films and TV now. Possibly indicates a combination of a fledgling historical MV movement where lots of cheap vehicles were still available and not much valued? Anyhow, it's a great show for spotting you favourite MV and not bad watching as a TV drama in its own right.

Only nine episodes (of 13) were made because of disagreements between creator /writer Wilfred Greatorex and Yorkshire TV. A proposed second series was scrapped. The C47A (DC3) used in the program (G-BHUB) is now repainted and hanging from the roof of the American Air Museum at Duxford.

Hi All

Interesting show, found 1st episode on YouTube broken up into a couple of sections including some 1980s commercials, there are some interesting military vehicles couple of CMPs. Wonder if any of them have survived in collector's hands?

Cheers Phil

Am now watching a DVD of the original series starring Roy Marsden set in the immediate post-WW2 period (demobbed Flight Sergeant with chips on both shoulders sets up a cargo airline). It's a treat for DC3 lovers and there is also a good variety of WW2 MVs.........Austin Tilly, Bedfords, Dodges, etc. Interestingly, a lot of these, while in running condition, are somewhat tatty which fits pretty well with their tired post-War demobbed condition in austerity Britain........they look more convincing than many of the immaculate glammed up show queens that you tend to see on films and TV now. Possibly indicates a combination of a fledgling historical MV movement where lots of cheap vehicles were still available and not much valued? Anyhow, it's a great show for spotting you favourite MV and not bad watching as a TV drama in its own right.

Just out of interest, why did you suddenly decide to watch a show that is over 30 years old ?

The reason I ask is I have just finished watching it on DVD after suddenly deciding out of the blue that I wanted to see it again after all these years ! :-D

I wonder if there has been something on TV, radio or in a magazine that mentioned Airline ?

The bit that I liked is that for a 'mainstream TV' show, it was actually quite well portrayed from the flying aspect with a fair bit of detail that I suspect would not be 'jazzed up' enough for modern viewing.

No, there was no mention of the series I recall. It was just a show I enjoyed and realised one day it was probably available on DVD, so went on my Amazon wish list. Am half way through the series now and it stands up well........as you say, it gets stuck into detail and it's mostly live action with real kit......not cgi.

Just finished watching "We'll Meet Again" (another 1982 TV series) about a USAAF B-17 bomb group. Again something made me think of it and I found a DVD set.

Productions from this era seem able to hold their own against modern 'stuff' quite well - what this series lacks in flying sequences is made up by excellent wartime colour footage grafted in, that and the chance for the viewer to use their imagination. Sometimes the less CGI the better!

Back to "Airline", it is obvious that the production budget had some limits, so that what looks like a location in Malta has to stand in for airfields in Rome, Haifa and..........Malta. Just watched a programme where the hero, Jack Ruskin, gets bailed up in what us meant to be RAF Luqa. I am no expert, but the set looks very convincing as do the various elements of the plot which includes Ministry organisations that had to deal with the somewhat chaotic post-war situation. Was very pleased to see a nice Matchless WDG3L in desert colours and a civilianised Bedford OX on the Malta set. And at this stage, Jack now has TWO DC3s so nice shots of formation flying. The credits say the aircraft were supplied by Aces High.

• 2 years later...
On 04/11/2015 at 10:10 PM, Willyslancs said:

the tilly that was used was owned by a late family friend, when they used it ,it was left with rock salt in the back , was returned in a very sorry state . filmed at blackpool airport in some shots ,

Sorry to drag this old post up, never saw it 1st time around.

Was that Tilly owned by John Brown? Barrie Ryan bought it, then sold it on. One of the Jeeps, was owned by Patrick Hargreaves. I think that they filmed some up at Yeadon, or Leeds/Bradford airport.

Dave