Antar rebuild progress

Dear All,

I am now working on the rear engine mountings. Since there is a flexible coupling between the engine and the clutch / gear-box assembly the rear mountings need to be adjustable in two directions in order to be able to perfectly align the two. This is the one bit of significant manufacturing that I have to do on the project. I hope to have this bit finished within the next two weeks.

John

REAR ENG MTS 1.jpg

REAR ENG MTS 2 .jpg

REAR ENG MTS 3.jpg

REAR ENG MTS 4.jpg

REAR ENG MTS 5.jpg

Dear All,

I am now working on the rear engine mountings. Since there is a flexible coupling between the engine and the clutch / gear-box assembly the rear mountings need to be adjustable in two directions in order to be able to perfectly align the two. This is the one bit of significant manufacturing that I have to do on the project. I hope to have this bit finished within the next two weeks.

John

Hi John,

You've probably already considered it but marine flexible mounts adjust in two directions to allow alignment with the prop shaft and come in all kinds of stiffness and sizes.

Dear All,

I had not thought of marine mounts that just shows the value of the forum!

I originally fitted the diesel engine in the early 90's. The problem I had then was to design and fit the mountings in the available space when most of the vehicle is together. Another difficulty was a cross member made it very difficult to check alignment. I shimmed the engine side to side and used slots for up and down. It worked but the new arrangement will be much better. The job is so much easier now.

You cannot really see it but on each side there are two Series Landrover spring bushes to give a little bit of anti-vibration but a lot of stiffness as I did not want the engine moving around under the effect of torque. The front mountings take care of any chassis flex.The horizontal plate will be slotted to give a little side to side movement. I will centralise the engine with temporary adjustment screws before welding the bracketry in place. Up and down adjustment will be by shims. I need to have the weight of the engine on the mounts to compress them before checking alignment.

Unfortunately I have not advanced it this weekend due to work commitments and need to re-organise the workshop in order to improve its productivity. I was not even able to crank up the Conqueror!

John

In marine aplications you generally have four adjustable mounts and you tweak and move until the solid prop flange is perfectly sqaure and level using a feeler gauge between flanges, bit of a black art as you also have to compensate for the weight of the suspended shaft which has to basically float with water lubrication between it and the cutlass bearing!

It seems pretty close to what you're trying to do.http://www.vetus.com/engines-and-around-the-engine/flexible-engine-mountings.html

• 4 weeks later...
In marine aplications you generally have four adjustable mounts and you tweak and move until the solid prop flange is perfectly sqaure and level using a feeler gauge between flanges, bit of a black art as you also have to compensate for the weight of the suspended shaft which has to basically float with water lubrication between it and the cutlass bearing!

It seems pretty close to what you're trying to do.http://www.vetus.com/engines-and-around-the-engine/flexible-engine-mountings.html

For info, alignment of boat propshafts is best done in the water as there will be a bit of flex in the hull.

Slight deviation from the topic, but in the background of Pic three, is that the Centaur that was picked up in Iraq in 2003? It has certainly been through the wars! Funny, I don't remember it having THAT much front end damage.

I believe it is, and has minor bullet damage as well as the more obvious damage.

• 2 months later...
Dear All,

John

Hi John

What's new with the big bird rebuild?

Dear All,

The rear axles are back on as are the rear springs although they are not notted down yet. Shortly going to do the brake camshafts. They have double needle roller bearings on each end of the camshaft which are dried up. I have got new oil seals to fit. All the brake linkage has been re-plated so it will be quite nice putting that all together. I am very slightly struggling with a large "O" ring at just over 7" dia and 7mm cross section. This is part of the hub oil / grease seal arrangement.

The good news is that there are less and less parts awaiting fitting.

I bought a sandblasting cabinet from Machine Mart. Unfortunately the see-through top becomes opaque too easily. I therefore am using the helmet from my full sized shot blasting equipment with the cabinet with the door open! This works really well although quite a lot of copper slag ends up on the floor. However, it is expendable!

The glass beads worked well on ally brake valve castings.

This weekend we are taking the Contractor out with the 'little trailer' to move John Davies's Cent MBT to Milestones Museum at Basingstoke and then on to Loseley Park near Guildford for Sunday. All the for A/F weekend. It will be a little while before I get back onto the Antar.

I will try to post some pics soon.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear All, apologies for not updating after gentle prompt.SANY0205.jpg

We are obviously managing move out of Bordon and I am time constrained but good progress is being made and I have fewer and fewer components left to fit. Toby S-B is being very helpful and is much appreciated. The 'big' trailer is very nearly operational and we were only just unable to take it to Dorset. Unfortunately there were too many loose ends and so it was not safe to take on the road. Because of time constraints we are not able to take Conqueror to Brooklands which is a bit of a shame.

The steering gear is fitted apart from making dust gaiters / boots for the steering rams.

The front axle is fitted but I do need to replace king pin thrust washer bearings as there is a wear point in the straight ahead position. It makes it very tiring to make slight adjustments on motorway. Easy to do however.

Fitting the cab floor and making a new bracket to accommodate the new engine mountings turned out to be easier than I thought. Nice change!

The winch is reassembled and is now mounted on the chassis but not knotted down. The pics show the condition of the worm wheel and I was surprised how good it was.

The next big job is the radiators. No drama but they want cleaning up & painting on the outside to be consistent with the rest of the vehicle. I will use a combination of angle grinder wire brush and local grit blast. I have never heard of an Antar overheat.

Unfortunately in the summer I was unable to shot blast the road wheels but they will have to be done. The cab which is actually only the windscreen mounting, roof and back (the dash is already on the chassis) has been left as a separate but easy job to do after we leave Bordon.

John

SANY0219.jpg

SANY0218.jpg

SANY0217.jpg

SANY0212.jpg

John, I appreciate you have facilities and help there, but the work you have accomplished on such a mammoth and complex vehicle in such a short space of time is extraordinary (and makes me feel as though I'm very much slacking!).

What is happening after Bordon, I'm out of touch - everything going to Lyneham?

Dear All,

The worm wheels for the Kirkstall axle and the Darlington winch are very different. Interestingly a lot of the engineering standards are different as well. eg BSW not BSF fasteners. Shakeproof star washers rather than single coil lock washers. 5/16 BSF grease nipples not 1/8 gas.

In principle, everything at the REME at Bordon is being moved to Lyneham. I think I have secured a site to locate my workshop container very near home in Horndean, Hants.

I am working very hard to get Antar back together although I will have to finish it at my new location.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi John

Can you help me with some history info. Were companies other than Fazakerly Engineering Co involved in the Mk 3 rework program?

I ask this because I was considering the four per month produced by FEC and the number of vehicles at units, seemed to make the rework program a small contribution.