Yet another Normandy thread!

I have prefixed this IMPORTANT as I feel it is.

As an fellow ethusiast I want to wish all those going to Normandy a safe and enjoyable trip. Most of you have worked hard on your vehicles, spending hours and small fortunes getting them ready for this, so enjoy.

I am sure this goes without saying (but I will anyway), spare a little time to reflect on why you are there, perhaps on the morning of the 6th, or when you can. You are on holiday, those that were there in 1944 were not. I hope the veterans attending are treated like the heroes they are. If you are honoured to know or meet one then thank them for EVERYTHING for me please.

I am going to pay my respects to all veterans as are most I would think, it is because of these brave man AND women we are free today. I intend to lay a wreath on Sword in memory of a much missed Grandfather who landed on Queen Sector on the 6th. R.I.P Joe God Bless. :saluting:

From past experience the Vetrans are quite capable of keeping us, 1 In our place 2 Entertained with stories 3 An almost limitless capacity for tea. :-D My journey is not only to pay respect to them and those that never returned but also to Carol. We always said we would take Katy back to Normandy, unfortunatley now it is only me.

On the happy side! The trailer is now rewired and all the glow worms get agitated when current runs through. So time to start sorting and packing. I make a full detailed list of kit, and then go through ruthlessley with a pencil crossing out!

As an fellow ethusiast I want to wish all those going to Normandy a safe and enjoyable trip. Most of you have worked hard on your vehicles, spending hours and small fortunes getting them ready for this, so enjoy.

I am sure this goes without saying (but I will anyway), spare a little time to reflect on why you are there, perhaps on the morning of the 6th, or when you can. You are on holiday, those that were there in 1944 were not. I hope the veterans attending are treated like the heroes they are. If you are honoured to know or meet one then thank them for EVERYTHING for me please.

Yes I will be laying two wreaths One for my great uncle Len who was killed on D Day and the other for the comrades that my Wife's grandfather lost nr hill 112 I will pause around 9pm on the 6th as that is when my uncles glider came in on drop zone N. close to Ranville where he now rests.

Yes I will be laying two wreaths One for my great uncle Len who was killed on D Day and the other for the comrades that my Wife's grandfather lost nr hill 112 I will pause around 9pm on the 6th as that is when my uncles glider came in on drop zone N. close to Ranville where he now rests.

Yes, I totally agree with the sentiments expressed. To me the most poignant part of going to Normandy is to visit some of the many British cemeteries ;;. away from the crowds ....I would urge anyone to visit The cemetery at Fontenay le Pesnel south east of Tilly sur Seulles which is in a lovely setting and very moving.. Just a mile south is the significant memorial to the Normandy Typhoon pilots at Noyers Bocage...who paid a very high price percentage wise to the liberation of Normandy.. Ed Abbott

Yes, I totally agree with the sentiments expressed. To me the most poignant part of going to Normandy is to visit some of the many British cemeteries ;;. away from the crowds ....I would urge anyone to visit The cemetery at Fontenay le Pesnel south east of Tilly sur Seulles which is in a lovely setting and very moving.. Just a mile south is the significant memorial to the Normandy Typhoon pilots at Noyers Bocage...who paid a very high price percentage wise to the liberation of Normandy.. Ed Abbott

Is that where the youngest British soldier killed in Normandy lies ? , I visited there some years ago

Is that where the youngest British soldier killed in Normandy lies ? , I visited there some years ago

No, I think you mean "Jerusalem " the smallest British cemetery with 40 odd graves in it.. 4 miles due south of Bayeux...where Jackie Banks is buried aged 16..signed up when he was 15...

No, I think you mean "Jerusalem " the smallest British cemetery with 40 odd graves in it.. 4 miles due south of Bayeux...where Jackie Banks is buried aged 16..signed up when he was 15...

Ah yes I remember now its on the way to Tilly just on the side of the road its been a while but will visit again this trip.

The location is at La Douet De Chouain. Follow the D6 just before junction with D187. There is a beautiful walled manor house behind it. They produce and sell the best Calvados in the world. But only at the farm. The story I was told was that when the CWWG came to gather the reamins for commital in Bayeuax the locals kicked off. They said that these men had come to the hamlet to liberate it, had given thier lives, been buried by the hamlet, and were the hamlet's responsibility. There are also oddly for WW2 teo unkown graves, and at least one Army Chaplin.

chaplin.jpg

jer farm.JPG

1492.jpg

Each time I've been over I've sat on the beaches and physically felt the spirits of those brave soldiers. If you've been there you'll know what I mean. The cemeteries are just haunting.

OUTSTANDING....This is what our hobby is all about....

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I could not be there, as much as I would like to have been.:-( But I did pay my respects and gave my thanks in 1994. Would you say that the 70th was as big as the 50th commemorations?

Sadly I could not be there, as much as I would like to have been.:-( But I did pay my respects and gave my thanks in 1994. Would you say that the 70th was as big as the 50th commemorations?

Much bigger.

Much bigger.

I agree, much much bigger BUT, and this is only my personal veiw. This time it seemed less about the Vets and more about the perceved VIP's.

I did not think that things could get any lower,when in 2009 about 25 or so Vets where kept waiting for about an hour at attention just for Gordon Brown to rush past them to into the museum and out of the rain.

Great trip though, replaced water pump on the Gmc...thanks to Wildenberg and Mr Britool......

All vehicles home safe and sound,nice to meet you again Rosie and Richard even if you did forget my name ;)

;)

It was an emotional trip, I still can't actually approach a vet and talk to them, I just don't feel worthy enough ...

The only vets I've met have been USAAF air/ground crew and I think I know what you mean ('cos I sometimes feel the same) - it takes a lot of emotional energy to engage with them. But I also think you do yourself an injustice - the fact that you wrote the above just goes to show the depth of your understanding of what they went through. And at their age I'm sure they'd delight in chatting you up!! :-D

Edited by N.O.S.

We had some great Vetrans, including a guy called Tony and his daughter. Tony turned to me and said 'I wish you'd stop calling me Sir. I was only a 2nd Leuitenat RNVR'. I replied that the Sir was a genuine mark of respect for him. He also ant one point said he should really stop talking, to which he was told very firmly 'You keep talking we keep listening.