DVLA Delays

Just a warning to any of you who are nearing the end of restorations etc and who hope to take part in the 70th D Day celebrations or any of this years shows for that matter. Nearly five months ago I bought a David Brown 990 tractor for use on my smallholding, unfortunately the owner could not find the V5c so I had to apply for a new one, that's where my troubles started :mad: The tractor is registered on the DVLA's website and it has been taxed fairly recently.

Despite me enclosing the correct payment for a replacement V5c and filling in the appropriate form confirming both it's original engine and chassis numbers, supplying proof of purchase and pictures of said tractor with its original number plates in situ I heard nothing for about two months , I then received a letter from DVLA saying they required rubbings and photo's of both frame and engine numbers before they could "consider" issuing a replacement V5c. This I did the same day along with supplying my landline and mobile number should they need any more information and as yet I have heard NOTHING, no V5c, no explanation, nothing. Since the local DVLA offices closed this seems to be a common problem and long waits for simple things like replacement logbooks are to be expected. I insured this tractor immediately so I could use it not sit and look at it and I fail to understand why such a simple thing is taking so long. Before people post replies saying the DVLA would have to write to the previous owner for confirmation I actually now own it I fully understand that but FIVE months ??? :wow: If anyone out there is trying to register a vehicle or obtain a replacement log book ready for this years shows be warned there seems to be huge delays and don't leave it too late :-\ Hopefully I may eventually get a V5c before my years insurance is due for renewal but I won't hold my breath :mad:

Interesting

The MVT have carried out quite a few verifications since the DVLA local offices closed.

I have heard nothing about delays as above for first registrations (in fact I think that a Diamond T was registered more or less by return)

Unless you know different.....................................................................................

It may be in the case above the DVLA are being particularly careful to ensure there is no funny business going on

Interesting

The MVT have carried out quite a few verifications since the DVLA local offices closed.

I have heard nothing about delays as above for first registrations (in fact I think that a Diamond T was registered more or less by return)

Unless you know different.....................................................................................

It may be in the case above the DVLA are being particularly careful to ensure there is no funny business going on

Well considering I enclosed a bill of sale from its registered keeper and enclosed ALL the documentation asked for I find that hard to believe, thing is who do I bill for the loss of use for what is a working vehicle and for all the insurance expense which has been wasted ;) I find that the DVLA make up the rules as they go along and do it to cause the most harassment for the vehicles owner. Read the Classic Car press I am NOT the only one. Utter shambles :mad: I'm happy for the police to check that as you put it "there is no funny business going on", I'm just a working man who bought a machine to do a job legally and is being prevented from doing so.

Well considering I enclosed a bill of sale from its registered keeper and enclosed ALL the documentation asked for I find that hard to believe, thing is who do I bill for the loss of use for what is a working vehicle and for all the insurance expense which has been wasted ;) I find that the DVLA make up the rules as they go along and do it to cause the most harassment for the vehicles owner. Read the Classic Car press I am NOT the only one. Utter shambles :mad: I'm happy for the police to check that as you put it "there is no funny business going on", I'm just a working man who bought a machine to do a job legally and is being prevented from doing so.

It was my Diamond T that has just had its first registration, I sent the verification letter along with all relevant paper work and a cheque for £55. within 10 days the registration document was on the door mat and 2 days after that the tax disc arrived.

thank you to the MVT for sorting the verification out for me

Diamond T 23 YZ 80 new reg number 258 UYE

I could write a book about the run ins I have had with DVLA and their predecessors over the last 50 plus years but in one particularly acrimonious discussion with a senior manager which eventually turned into a litany of excuses he let slip that if a communication was delivered to the wrong dept although correctly addressed it would not be passed on to the correct dept but would be destroyed which is why for many years I have only dealt with them by recorded delivery.

My RB44 was in for its MOT at a VOSA testing station and they informed me if the box body wasn't removable it should have marker lights fitted at the top corners of the rear of the body. No lights fitted and a box isn't removable the vehicle would fail its MOT.

Construction and Use and lighting regs would make this clear

Surprised though that they wernt fitted by the military

Hasnt really got a lot to do with the DVLA though

Edited by Brooky

Construction and Use and lighting regs would make this clear

Surprised though that they wernt fitted by the military

Hasnt really got a lot to do with the DVLA though

What about age of vehicle? Most WW2 MV's don't comply with modern regulations. To the point they are no longer tetsted!

What about age of vehicle? Most WW2 MV's don't comply with modern regulations. To the point they are no longer tetsted!

Irrelevant really.........the vehicle was being tested it didnt meet the requirements as outlined in the appopriate regulations,therefore it failed.

Still nothing to do with delays at theDVLA though

I received a turn around of approx 6 weeks from the DVLA registering my MW .I imagine it would been quicker if some jobsworth hadn't returned my application because I forgot to date the application :whistle:

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Nice to know the system works!!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the continuing DVLA saga regarding getting a V5c for my tractor , after 5 months and several forms I still have no log book, rang them today to be told there is a "discrepancy" and they have written to me with MORE bloody forms ! I have up to now lost 5 months insurance over this and it's needed to do a job. They have my mobile and landline numbers which they insisted on yet couldn't use them to contact me, they say they posted a letter to me yesterday despite having the last form for well over a month :banghead: This tractor has been on the same farm for years and is as far as I can tell all original this will probably turn out to be someone misread the chassis number years ago when registering it yet there is nowhere you can go anymore to get a real human being to come out and look at it as you could when the regional offices were open. This does not inspire me with confidence when I come to register my Dodge WC52 in the next week or two :( I have sent them pictures, rubbings of the engine and chassis number etc but now they want a list of any modifications since 1968 ! I've only owned it 5 months how the hell do I know ? Looks like the scrap yard and a huge loss of cash :cry:

Quick update on the continuing DVLA saga regarding getting a V5c for my tractor , after 5 months and several forms I still have no log book, rang them today to be told there is a "discrepancy" and they have written to me with MORE bloody forms ! I have up to now lost 5 months insurance over this and it's needed to do a job. They have my mobile and landline numbers which they insisted on yet couldn't use them to contact me, they say they posted a letter to me yesterday despite having the last form for well over a month :banghead: This tractor has been on the same farm for years and is as far as I can tell all original this will probably turn out to be someone misread the chassis number years ago when registering it yet there is nowhere you can go anymore to get a real human being to come out and look at it as you could when the regional offices were open. This does not inspire me with confidence when I come to register my Dodge WC52 in the next week or two :( I have sent them pictures, rubbings of the engine and chassis number etc but now they want a list of any modifications since 1968 ! I've only owned it 5 months how the hell do I know ? Looks like the scrap yard and a huge loss of cash :cry:

Bloody hell don't let the bastartds grind ya down and certainly don't let them win!

Modifications none is the answer its a standard tractor as supplied by the company. I think the answer is to provide them with short and concise information and nothing but facts no suggestive or suggestions should be implied when dealing with them.

Bloody hell don't let the bastartds grind ya down and certainly don't let them win!

Modifications none is the answer its a standard tractor as supplied by the company. I think the answer is to provide them with short and concise information and nothing but facts no suggestive or suggestions should be implied when dealing with them.

Thanks Andy, I have jumped through hoops and given them every bit of information I can, they won't tell me what's in the latest letter they have sent so it's any ones guess as to what they want now. When the local offices were there you could keep popping in until they were happy as it is now there's weeks go by before you hear whether or not they are doing anything it's slowly but surely driving me crazy :nut:

This is the one. http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/ however you have to go through the DVLA complaint procedure first. The good thing is if DVLA exceed the set time limits to reply that is part of the complaint. I used this service concerning another Goverment Organisation. They were very efficent.

Many thanks for that, I am supposed to be getting yet another letter next week when it arrives I will know what hoops they want me to jump through next, then I will contact complaints and start the ball rolling, at this rate the years insurance I took out at the start of the saga will be up for renewal :shocked:

I live within 10 minutes of the DVLA Swansea, two weeks ago I applied online for a V55/5 to register a vehicle. It still has not arrived! on Monday I went to the offices, where jobsworths's abound (and is also a total shambles), though they do have a very nice automatic circular front door paid for with our money, and got the form. I filled it in with the relevant paperwork and then took it back on Wednesday.

I thought it would be easy - take it in and get a tax disc - not a cats chance in hell! - I was told walk back along the entrance way and pop it in the letterbox!!!! This is not progress, this is bumbling bureaucracy at work.

When I had trouble getting a date for an H licence test a few weeks ago I resorted to threatening them with a complaint to my MP. If there is excessive delay with the tax disc I shall be doing the same.

Diana

Many thanks for that, I am supposed to be getting yet another letter next week when it arrives I will know what hoops they want me to jump through next, then I will contact complaints and start the ball rolling, at this rate the years insurance I took out at the start of the saga will be up for renewal :shocked:
Edited by Diana and Jackie

The good and the bad:

I sent off an electronic query to DVLA 4 days ago asking how to obtain the correct age related registration for my Landie (it is registered as of date of being cast, not built) and how to change taxation class if/as and when the Chanclellor brings the tax free status forwards enough that mine qualifies.

The replies thus far have been quick but odd. In my query I gave them the chassis number and the current registration number plus the build dated certified by the Heritage Trust at Gaydon thinking that is all they would need to review the questions in hand. Their first reply a day later asked for the colour and engine size???

I replied to this with the information required and got a reply back again a day later with the explanation of how to change the taxation class and what farms where needed/where to down-load them BUT the quoted their records as having the vehicles build date as 31/12/1975 whereas the actual build date is 17/12/1974 - slightly different!!

They also did not answer the question how to obtain an age related plate, so I have replied restating this question and advising them their records are in error, attaching a scanned copy of the certified copy of a factory record.

Now to see how long this reply takes and what their answer will be.

So - in a nutshell - their answers to electronic queries seem to be pretty fast but on the same scale of usefulness as Micrsofts at times!!!