post war sales catalogues

wally dugan

MR richardson was the most meticulous man and his attention to detail was out standing he left nothing to chance

giving every item its own code and seperating them it to groups army /navy/raf/ civil defence as RICHARD has said

the ARMY also used the MIDDLESEX registration numbers up to the fall of france there some nice pictures of armour with

them IT is my hope that like me you have found them of interest

REGARDS WALLY

Yes I have seen lots on Pathe & IWM of stuff in France with Middlesex reg ; but I think by the end of WW2 the RAF had far more in that situation than the Army- either way These Catologues are VERY interesting- this could be our soap- a new episode every day hint hint !!!

take care TED

TED if you would like how about a page a week or guess the price in yorkshire there is l think a restored humber light

reconaissance one of which was sold at BYRAM PARK along with beaverattes as well as other types sorry peter up to now

no DINGOS IF THE OWNER OF THE HUMBER IS A FORUM MEMBER he might like to know its correct cenus number

regards wally

THIS IS THE first page for the BYRAM PARK sales there where 900 lots and it was afour day sale there where 274

austin 8 hp two door open two seaters the most expensive it was a HUMBER SNIPE a snip at £787/ 10 old pence

but was a bargain as was mark as excellent as new total the sale was £ 47,213,10 shillings

In the UK the vast majority of vehicles were registered with Middlesex I have always assumed because the RAF administrative depot was at Uxbridge. There are oddd examples of other counties but mainly Middlesex.

When I look at lists I tend to look at the vehicle types & manufacturers.

Ted. Thanks for the explanation of the vehicle types mainly used by the RAF, explicit as always.

As for the reason Middlesex registrations were used pre-war in the 1930s was more to do with the location of the county I think than for any other reason. The county covered a large area of the south west and west of what most of us think of as London and when the Greater London Council was formed in 1965 virtually all of Middlesex became part of the new council. The administrative headquarters of Middlesex County Council in the 1930s was at Middlesex Guildhall in Parliament Square, now the home of the Supreme Court, so it was handily placed for government Ministries to pop along and register new vehicles.

And yes I would welcome seeing more of the auction catalogues if Wally can obligue.

Dusty

I found this and thought it was not the normal run of the mill these were ordered in 1942 by the BRITISH GOVERNMENT

from the CANADIANS they where shipped to scotland to permit training by the army during the winter of 42/43 but there

was no snow in scotland that year so the army could not commence training program THREE where sent to the U S S R

BUT no trials results came back as to how they performed THE reason this interested me in the winter of 1942 /43 my father was attached to the 52 nd lowland division at AVIEMORE so he may have seen them

• 2 weeks later...

l have posted this as its a new one on me its the first one l have were not only the condition is marked but the details of who purchased the item but also its the first one l have come across that all the prices are in guineas For those not old enough to remember a guinea was £1 . 1 shilling or now £1 .5p there is also the addresses of all buyers

l have posted this as its a new one on me its the first one l have were not only the condition is marked but the details of who purchased the item but also its the first one l have come across that all the prices are in guineas For those not old enough to remember a guinea was £1 . 1 shilling or now £1 .5p there is also the addresses of all buyers

Thanks Wally, you're doing a great job. Unfortunately I can remember guineas!

Dusty

• 3 weeks later...

GERRY first thank you for your last pm my pleasure just a point on the key card it states 12 bvd which was ASHCHURCH

RUDDINGTON was 72 bvd the date on the key card of 1/4/59 is the date the receipt voucher was signed when it got to

RUDDINGTON not when it was sold

REGARDS WALLY