My DUKW project.

Hunting Dukw

Just like to say "HI" to all the other military enthusiast out there. I have bought a 1944 DUKW, that I will be restoring hopefully over the next two years. It needs alot of work but I am going to put the time and money into it so I can end up with a piece of history. I will post pic's as I go, so feel free to comment, and ask any questions you might have. My restoration project is on the rough side, but will be well worth it in the end. If you have any DUKW parts you might be willing to sell, drop me a line as I need all the parts I can get, to get this DUKW a rolling and swimming!

Cheers!!

DSCF8993.jpg

DSCF9105.jpg

Just like to say "HI" to all the other military enthusiast out there. I have bought a 1944 DUKW, that I will be restoring hopefully over the next two years. It needs alot of work but I am going to put the time and money into it so I can end up with a piece of history. I will post pic's as I go, so feel free to comment, and ask any questions you might have. My restoration project is on the rough side, but will be well worth it in the end. If you have any DUKW parts you might be willing to sell, drop me a line as I need all the parts I can get, to get this DUKW a rolling and swimming!

Cheers!!

DSCF8993.jpg

DSCF9105.jpg

I love these things, first job get rid of that yellow paint - good luck with the project keep the pics coming cheers Charlie

You must have tried sanity once. Didn't you like it?:D That is one big project! But you've come to the right place for help support and understanding. Also you qualify for immdiate membership of the VIP Rubber room.

soooo you have a key for the VIP rubber room as well as the club house :-)

• 7 months later...

Cheers!!

DSCF8993.jpg

DSCF9105.jpg

hi i am a new member i saw your post on your restoration project would be interested to see more pics. i drive these for a living five days a week and boy do they break down a lot. if you plan to drive your duck on a regular basis make sure you have a few spare transfer boxes handy. you will have problems with your diffs a lot and if you take it in the water you will get a shock how much water it takes on. if the higgins pump has still got its chain drive you should be ok as it can certainly empty the hull quickly. if you need any information for your restoration i can obtain it from work, regards ian

• 8 months later...

I bought my 3rd DUKW in 2010 which would need so much work I have decided to break it for spares & have just bought a 4th one which will also need much work but is less rusty. Work will start when it finally arrives from the seller which will depend on low loader costs. My 2nd Dukw was mint - ex French army - but had to be sold when my business went pear shaped & I just have to have the buzz of swimming a DUKW again!

• 2 months later...
I bought my 3rd DUKW in 2010 which would need so much work I have decided to break it for spares & have just bought a 4th one which will also need much work but is less rusty. Work will start when it finally arrives from the seller which will depend on low loader costs. My 2nd Dukw was mint - ex French army - but had to be sold when my business went pear shaped & I just have to have the buzz of swimming a DUKW again!

hi I see you are a duck fanatic I am the same I worked for the Liverpool duck marine for nearly two years I think I received a message from you about whacky 2 my favourite. I was driving the first duck that sank it was whacky 4 and a friend of mine was driving the second one that sank whacky 1. to be truthful we all thought that whacky 2 two would be the first

kind regards ian

I know where their is a complete wreck in Far North Queensland and the owner is willing to sell. All the hull tin is riddled with holes, but everything is there, prop, rudder, everything. I will take some photos and post on here. I don't know how far you are from Cairns, but I'm guessing you won't be close.

I went out to my mates place yesterday and got some photos of that DUKW as I promised. These are the external photos. As you can see the hull is completely rusted out, but as the later photos will attest, this boat is complete. IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

As the story goes, the vehicle was purchased from the military auctions and sat under a mango tree for many years. My friend approached the owner about 20 years ago and he eventually sold it. Obviously sitting an old mental DUKW under a mango tree does it little good. Having said that, this boat has not been picked over by souvenir hunters. Oh, and the important detail, it is for sale and open to offers. It is located in Queensland.

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg