CVRT Gate guardians

robin craig

Question

25 answers to this question

Bazz

Do you know where the york one is? I work in york and would be interested to have a look sometime. If it is Fulford Road it certainly isnt visible from the road...

Robin i know of at least one more, a scorpion, built up and painted for an unnamed raf base last year. Will try to find out more..

Cheers

Timbo

This is the Fenham Barracks vehicle from Google satelite, streetscape stops at the gates.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.979793,-1.630676&spn=0.004926,0.017166&z=16&key=ABQIAAAATeDsGqBUjK2SttbNk2PvHRRtxERe_wv1PFwR2RiRF3XPY_JkmRQYIEU2QDsUGVCoA07p7Z8vIDic0Q&mapclient=jsapi&oi=map_misc&ct=api_logo

You have to zoom in a bit but its visible

R

This one is a SABRE in the 'Land Warfare Centre' (What USED to be called, The Scool of Infantry) in Warminster, Wilsthire.

It is a converted Scorpion as most of you will know. The Reg, No. is 04 FD 42. I used to Own Scorpion 04 FD 43!!!!

Soory it's rubbish Photo, it was taken last year on my Mobile Phone in a hurry!

It has lost definition in automatically being expanded when posting here!

John,

using everyones desk top spy tool, google streetscape I have had a look at the Staffordshires museum.

There is a collection of MVs and kit outside, as you described. Some kind of sand coloured foreign tracked thing, likely a Gulf War 1 trophy, a Bren gun carrier, a MOBAT, a Ferret, a 432, looks like a Mk1 and some kind of CVRT Spartan.

As far as the Spartan goes I cant quite make out what is on the top on the right side of the vehicle, some kind of box affair.

Does anyone live nearby who could have a look at it?

Thanks John

R

Oh silly me,

I just took a look at the museum website.

It looks like a Spartan with the Milan Compact Turret if i'm not mistaken.

Vehicle is 01 FF 49

Link here

http://staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/

have a look in their gallery and also vehicle section.

R

Edited by robin craig

Oh silly me,

I just took a look at the museum website.

It looks like a Spartan with the Milan Compact Turret if i'm not mistaken.

Vehicle is 01 FF 49

Link here

http://staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/

have a look in their gallery and also vehicle section.

R

Can't look at link, work network won't let me. If they show the exhibition cases, the WW2 case should have my late father's Enfield pistol in it although it was away for cleaning etc (deactivating maybe?) when I was last there.

If you take google streetscape and head to Bovington and site yourself at the junction of Bovington Lane and Linsay Road you will see a CVRT Spartan 02 FF 97 on driver training with L plates!

Here is the link

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.695991,-2.241704&spn=0.000595,0.001341&t=h&z=19&key=ABQIAAAA0HkOWVI_XXaF1IIuIWOQ_hR8dHNNjlmz10qxHVUqoUXC9eBtuxTXATjcIRpWU-JNA136Mmx-DrDbpQ&mapclient=jsapi&oi=map_misc&ct=api_logo

Just follow Linsay Road out to where it meets Bovington Lane.

It is funny what one can find aimlessly cruising the world with a cup of coffee and a computer.

R

Edited by robin craig

Thanks for posting the Sabre.

I notice it has a very much later set of turn signals and side lights fitted. Wonder why?

Great responses.

R

Robin

I thought all Sabres were fitted with the later indicators on conversion? It just looks odd because the front bins have been 'liberated' - not unusual as they are often a consumable item..

If you see a Scorpion with new style indicators it is a sign that it has been retro converted - it has happened apparently !

Agree about the thread great response didnt realise there were so many of the old girls on gate duty..

Cheers

Timbo

Could it be the same vehicle as post no 10 since repainted?

Looks like quite a similar setting..

I think so. I was interested when I first saw it as it has Messiers on it, seems a shame to leave them sitting there not doing anything! Same with the Samson in the other photo.

Chris

There is a Spartan (may be Striker?) outside the Staffordshire regiment Museum at Whittington, near Lichfield Staffordshire and a Scorpion outside the Driving and Maintenance School, Bovington (ie behind the Bovy Tank Museum Library)

A good picture of said Scorpion at Bovington D & M school.

IMG_5220a.jpg

There's a Striker at one of the gates into Bicester

http://g.co/maps/xbgvk

I thought it might be a diesel one from this angle, but a side view shows the vents are not raised. All of the other striker's I've seen have had the hanging headlights though - is this unusual?

Edited by Lauren Child

I have a Striker with later headlights and also no wading screen bit, and front bins fitted. This is how it came from service. It is deffo still petrol - at least it is now as it has a new J60 in it..! Not sure how many Strikers were dieselised - have seen some pics of diesel ones but not many..