Bedford QLC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55863[/ATTACH] I drove QLs during my army service in Germany in the mid 1950s (Not the one pictured I hasten to add, that was driven by one of my buddies, who was extremely luck to get out uninjured after a head-on collision with a very large German truck.) My family were involved with war surplus, so I was very familiar with military vehicles, from pick-ups right through to a Diamond "T" that we used, plus quite a bit of armour. I never found the QL to be under powered, infact compared to most trucks of the day it pulled very well, and certainly since 1937 they had been fitted with the Clayton Dewandre breaking mechanism, so the stopping was far superior to equivelent sized trucks. Of course if you compare them with modern trucks, then you would have to describe them as sluggish.... but thats just down to engine developement. The QL was fitted with the 28hp engine that developed 72 bhp, I drove civilian Bedford trucks before and after my army service, all fitted with that engine and carrying up to 7 tonnes. I have owned a GMC CCKW 353 since the 1980s, that truck developes approx 105 bhp, but I dont think that it pulls (Empty) any better, if indeed as well, as the Bedford. I served in a REME workshops in Germany, so I drove just about all that the army had to offer... the QL was a fine piece of machinery, and its just great to see you bringing this vehicle back to life, keep up the good work, and I look forward to reading and viewing your progress.

You can call this a lucky escape, some luck that the driver was sitting on the right side (are wrong side for us).

On this picture you can also see go vulnerable the cabin is, even in a small collision the cabin gets al the impact as there are no real bumpers on the front of a Bedford QL.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a very luckly bloke.......

Well I am really looking forward to driving my QL, I sometimes borrow a Chevrolet C60 for som driving practise on the farm.

I think its impressive that such simpel lorry could perform like they did, compare to the modern, with a million gears, power assist and massive amounts of power.

That was a very luckly bloke.......

Well I am really looking forward to driving my QL, I sometimes borrow a Chevrolet C60 for som driving practise on the farm.

I think its impressive that such simpel lorry could perform like they did, compare to the modern, with a million gears, power assist and massive amounts of power.

From the age of 11 my Uncle spent many hours with me sitting on the rug in front of the fire, teaching me to double-de-clutch, using the fire pocker, which was like a truck gearstick (Austin) When I was 12 years old he took me down the yard (Works yard) and threw me into a Canadian C60 that had just arrived..... he said, you know what to do, drive it around the yard. That was my first time behind the wheel, after that you could not keep me out of anything that came into the yard, by the time that I was 16 years old I was driving the Diamond "T" around the yard. Good days, happy times for a young boy. I was born in 1937.

Thanks Niels for the measurements of the side panels. As soon as the body work on the cabin is ready I will start on the chassis and last but not least will be the cargo body.

It my still be some time that I will need thees measurements butt I like to plan my work before the start of the job , and it is always good to have some idea what materials and work will be involved to make something.

Made some good progress on the driver side floor, made a complete new floor section and do the welding work today. Will post some extra pictures this evening on my thread.

Guy

• 1 month later...

A very small update, I have painted the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the engine sump....

And the head light housing need replacement.....

Things are going very slow at the moment almost backwards because my master thesis is taking all my time and sleep.....:yawn:

CIMG8878.jpg

CIMG8879.jpg

Hey Niels, Just having a look through your images, you are making a lovely job of her!! Can't wait to see the finished truck and also see you apply your skills to the Scammell when you find the time! Keep up the good work mate! D

I also got the rear fenders striped and started to clean them.

Hello Niels, I have been offered a rear mudguard for my project (yes the one you are preparing to paint), butt I am not 100% sure that it is the right size.

Is it possible to send my the measurements of your rear mudguard.

Guy

Hello Niels, I have been offered a rear mudguard for my project (yes the one you are preparing to paint), butt I am not 100% sure that it is the right size.

Is it possible to send my the measurements of your rear mudguard.

Guy

Hi Guy / Niels

Blue mudguard is an origional QLR, Green mudguard is from a later Bedford RL, they are both 16" across and have the same pressings but the later one has larger curved corners.

I got 4 from Pete Gaine for £10 each and I think he has some left.

Hope this helps ? Ian

001.jpg

002.jpg

Hello, will check the mudguard tomorrow, but at first glance the rear mudguard looks almost the same as the rear part of a front guard. If so, I will make 4 new rear guards for my QL.

Tomorrow I go to collect the first lot of sandblasted parts, and will put some paint on as quick as possible.

The weekend of 23 and 24 make a trip to John Morter on Friday to collect some bits and on Saturday kempton park auto jumble to look for some bike bits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Niels, how is the progress on your QL. It is some time that we sow postings on this subject?

This week I will paint my chassis and hopefully the under section of the cabin will come back from the sandblaster, some big work prospect for mext week:undecided:

Guy

Hi

Yes Its been awhile, it has been on the backburner a bit, the new Scammell has been stealing time getting some things sorted so I can get it MOT.

But funny you schould mention it as I pick the cab up yesterday.

It still needs griding of welds and some filling. I chose to have the repairs done in the same quality as the army repairs. I am keeping it danish and like the fact that it can be seen that is have been in service for many years.

Plus some asorted things haven blasted and primed.

I also pick this set No. 19 up

IMG_9183.JPG

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9185.JPG

IMG_9177.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Progress with the Bedford is a bit slow at the moment, I am still waiting for a couple of things before I can test start the engine.

I am currently stripping the cab of paint and I hope to start on the remaining welding this weekend.

Inspired by Guy I also removed the roof which gives a lot more room to work.

I have also begun to paint all filling/lubrication points yellow.

IMG_9498.JPG

IMG_9502.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A small update, after the Ql have been on the back burner for awhile

The engine is alive, and is running really well. I still have a couple of things that will need sorting on it.

The starter needs new bearings and the carburettor needs some new gaskets. And I could use a new fuel pump does anyone have a spare or know a good source ?

Edited by Niels v