Bedford QLC

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the fuel pump and starter sorted. Now I will need to have a look that the water pump as it was leaking, and I have to flush the engine and radiator. There was a lot of sludge and particles in the water when I drained it, and I think the radiator is partially blocked. Can any one recommend a methode for flushing and desolving particles in an engineblock and radiator?

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I know :embarrassed:... but It will be awhile before I am back to full speed, I am still recovering from a rather large knee operation I had in september, I have been uable to bend my knee until recently ( now able to bend it around a 100 degrees), been unable to drive a car and lost most of my muscle strenght in my leg.

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I was having problems getting the handbrake adjusted, and finally I got fed up by it so I removed the rear brake drum/hubs.

I bought a hub nut spanner on ebay awhile back... It makes life so much easier, and it saves the nuts from being worn.

The biselectors where a bit unwilling in their movement, so they where stripped down, cleaned and repacked with grease and fitted with new gaskets.

The brakes where cleaned and the liners are in good condition.

I need to replace a couple of the studs and nuts for the half shaft/ sling plate, they where a bit rusty and one thread is gone.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

• 3 months later...

Finally a some real progres.

I was not entirely happy with the rust repair that was done on my cab, so I have started to repair some of it my self, having taken some lessons in welding and also using a lathe and milling machine.

I am quite happy with the result of my first welding repair, I will still have to work a bit with the settings of the MIG welder, to avoid to much spatter and burning through

The last picture is before.

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_9504.jpg

Edited by Niels v

Some of the repair where too crudely done for my taste and the replacement rear strengthening member was not the correct size and therefore did not aligne. The spot welds on the vertical strengthening where not to great either.

IMG_0791.JPG

I know most of these things are not visible once the cab is back together but I would like to preserve the original shapes, so with a lot of grinding and metal bending, the repair was removed and new pieces where made and welded in to the cab.

IMG_0808.JPG

I found a crack and very thin place behind the vertical strengthening so a section the plate was removed and new piece added.

IMG_0810.JPG

The original repair here was firstly welded to the inside and not the edge and therefore didnt aligne and secondly missing the bend that follows the wing, so again a new piece had to be made...

IMG_0796.JPG

Expensive lesson from this.... Do repairs yourself.

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

Edited by Niels v

Very nice work Niels. I recognise al these rot spots on your QL and some are really very difficult to reach and repair!

It is always better to do your own repair work and hives you more satisfaction wanes the end result is ready, "YES I DID IT"

I am working on the canvas bits for are QL's at the moment!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
Some of the repair where too crudely done for my taste and the replacement rear strengthening member was not the correct size and therefore did not aligne. The spot welds on the vertical strengthening where not to great either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75035[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75036[/ATTACH]

I know most of these things are not visible once the cab is back together but I would like to preserve the original shapes, so with a lot of grinding and metal bending, the repair was removed and new pieces where made and welded in to the cab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75043[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75039[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]75040[/ATTACH]

I found a crack and very thin place behind the vertical strengthening so a section the plate was removed and new piece added.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75041[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]75042[/ATTACH]

The original repair here was firstly welded to the inside and not the edge and therefore didnt aligne and secondly missing the bend that follows the wing, so again a new piece had to be made...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75037[/ATTACH]

Expensive lesson from this.... Do repairs yourself.

Mate you are doing a grand job. I guess it is not surprising that they all rust in the same spots!

Almost done with the corner

Nice work Niels! A pity that you have to do these things all over again. I had a similar experience with a Fiat 500; tried to save time and had the welding done at a garage. Sadly the work was not very good, so I had to do it all over again myself, so it took even more time and money in the end!

please keep on posting pics of the repairs; it's nice to see how you made the edges and flanges on the panels.

Alex

This weekends progress and the opposite.

I added a new piece to floor, and corrected the inside of the wheel arch. The plates in the arch where welded on top each other leaving a nasty step on the inside which I did not like, therefore it was cut where the weld was. The original arch and the repair piece where brought edge to edge with a bit of hammer time and spot welds, afterwards the remaining gab was filled with welding.

now the set back... ever since Ian L, posted that he had found his core plugs to be paper thin, I had been worring about the condition of my ones, and just as one would expect mine are thin as well. I ran the engine today, and discovered that the rear plugs had begun leaking...... so the engine has to come out again.

This time I am going to take the engine apart, I dont want any more suprises, and the cab will hopefully be done so it can be fitted when the engine is ready.

question how much do a Bedford 28 hp engine weigh?

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

Edited by Niels v

After a couple of busy days the reason for the leak was found, the rear core plug was rotte through. I removed the gearbox in the manner describe in the handbook therefor compressor removed, giving a look in to gearbox, which was rather good.

The sumb need futher cleaning than I already had given it, I also cleaned the oil pump just to be sure that it had not sucked muck in to it.

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0933.JPG

After a couple of busy days the reason for the leak was found, the rear core plug was rotte through. I removed the gearbox in the manner describe in the handbook therefor compressor removed, giving a look in to gearbox, which was rather good.

The sumb need futher cleaning than I already had given it, I also cleaned the oil pump just to be sure that it had not sucked muck in to it.

We had a very similar problem with out old QLR last year leaking water out of the rear core plug.....never a dull moment. :)

• 1 month later...

Looking at Guy's progress with his Bedford, I thought it was about time to get back to mine, I have been distracted with other vehicles lately.

An engine machine shop will take a look at my engine, replace the core plugs, surface grind it and flush the water channels as they are pretty clog, but I will have to wait a month before they have time to do it.

So back to replacing bad rust repairs in the cab. this time in the driver footwell.

Not the prettiest welds, but they will do and I am still learning, so I hope they will improve with time.

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

• 5 months later...

It has been to long, since I have made any updates to this blog, and to be honest the drive havent really been there lately, I have been distracted by my other vehicles and the having to re-do all the sheet metal repairs is real killjoy.

The overhaul of the engine is postponed until spring because the workshop dos not have time before then....

Things I have done are replacing the some of the repairs on the left indside side of the cab, here the internal reinforcement had been cut out and not replaced :mad:, so that had to be redone, the same goes for the cover for the front bull bar, here the hole in the floor had not been cut and the cover did not have the correct still.

I will have to replace the bottom wood part of the drivers side door, as it is bit to worn, but luckly the doors still fit.

I might have to hurry up the restoration now as I have begun to forget where things go in the cab, Eg. it to me quite some time to remember that there was a cover plate in the passenger side foot well.

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG