Bedford QLC

A bit more progress have been made, but there is still a long way to go before the rust repairs will be done.

I will have to replace the wood frame in the drivers side door, as it is disintegrating and screws where begining to loosen. luckly I could remove the frame from the door without cutting anything, so I hope I can have a copy made and refitted with out to much trouble, otherwise I will have to find a new door.

Inspired by Guys Bedford I also painted the rear diff white, now I just have to fit the rear axle light and switch.

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

It has been awhile since last update and only minor progress has been made, actually it has been more a set back.

The engine looked a fine at first glans but when it was taken apart and delivered to the machine shop numerous problem where found.

The rust in the cylinders where to deep for just a honing, so it will be bored to 0.20

The cam shaft and cam followers are pitted an needs replacing/regrinding.

The crank shaft had not been supported correctly when it was overhauled by the army so it needs to regrinded to 0.3 or 0.4 undersize.

and now to the worst part there is a 3 inch long crack in the cylinder head, that will be almost imposible to repair, and a couple of valve guides where not to good.

Sadly neither John Morter or Norman Aish are able to help with a replacement head, so if anyone has a spare cylinder head lying in the back of the workshop taking up space I am interested.

It has been awhile since last update and only minor progress has been made, actually it has been more a set back.

The engine looked a fine at first glans but when it was taken apart and delivered to the machine shop numerous problem where found.

The rust in the cylinders where to deep for just a honing, so it will be bored to 0.20

The cam shaft and cam followers are pitted an needs replacing/regrinding.

The crank shaft had not been supported correctly when it was overhauled by the army so it needs to regrinded to 0.3 or 0.4 undersize.

and now to the worst part there is a 3 inch long crack in the cylinder head, that will be almost imposible to repair, and a couple of valve guides where not to good.

Sadly neither John Morter or Norman Aish are able to help with a replacement head, so if anyone has a spare cylinder head lying in the back of the workshop taking up space I am interested.

I might have a replacement head, let me check today

• 7 months later...

Things are moving along, but not at lightning speed.

The bottom half of the cab is almost done, every time I thought I was done replacing rot or incorrect repairs, I found new faults.

Next up the roof, some rot has to be replaced and some previous repairs have to be redone.

Luckly there are still enough other bits that I can clean and repaint to keep the spirits up.

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

A bit more progress has been made now.

I removed the reinforcements from the rear of the cab roof, and made a new piece for it instead of the repair.

This also give me a chance to clean up the area behind them.

How where these originally attached to the lower frame of the cab? in the top it is bolted to the wooden structur. The repair I removed was crudly welded to the frame.

The windshield frame and specially the corners are not in a very good condition. Any advice on how to fix these is most welcome. Being folded thin sheet, repairing these might be abit above my skill level.

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

After a busy spring, mostly playing with Quad, I am now back on the QL.:yay:

A replacement engine arrived a couple of months ago together with a set of Scammell tracks.

Today I got around to taking the engine apart prior to it going to the machine shop, It needs welding of one cylinder head bolt hole, but otherwise it looks good and much better than the original, fingers crossed.

The exhaust valves are abit stuck, would it do any damage to them if I heated the valves guides a bit.

I had a bit of an argument with the fourth piston, it did not want to come out easily, but a hammer and a wooden block did the job.

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

• 2 years later...

An update on the project, I decided to pass on the gauntlet.
I only made very little progress with the Bedford the last two years, and I have in the meantime gotten a daughter and house to look after as well, I would therefor not get it done within a foreseeable future. So when a good new home for it presented it self I  decided to let it go. 
A thanks to all who commented and help, but specially Guy, Richard and Ian.