my new mk 1 carrier

eddy8men

no it's not finished yet but we're getting there. the wheels are all replacements and are as good as new, as for the engine it was fitted back in the wot6 and running then taken out as the 24 stud for the carrier was not ready and the carrier took precedent, bit of ball ache but we're getting there.

as for the big roll out i'm not sure when it will happen but the plan is to get the tracks on and moving by the weekend.

i wonder how it would drive if i put that 600 hp meteor in it :cool2:

eddy

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it's not finished yet but we're getting there. the wheels are all replacements and are as good as new, as for the engine it was fitted back in the wot6 and running then taken out as the 24 stud for the carrier was not ready and the carrier took precedent, bit of ball ache but we're getting there.

as for the big roll out i'm not sure when it will happen but the plan is to get the tracks on and moving by the weekend.

i wonder how it would drive if i put that 600 hp meteor in it :cool2:

eddy

Nose high and severe neck pain

"nose high and severe neck pain" but it would be worth it, 200 bhp/ton :shocked: however it's probably best to stick it back in the cromwell and go with the correct flathead engine which can be seen in the pics. the oil cooler was made up from an old saracen one that had been chucked in the scrap pile and the elbows you can see are normal 22mm copper plumbing fittings, total cost £3 :D.

carrier 003.JPG

carrier 002.JPG

carrier 004.JPG

• 2 months later...

finally the old girl is up and running and moving around under her own steam, we've not finished it by any means but it looks good to me (on a dark night) and it can be finished at my leisure, the important thing is i can display it and maybe get some enjoyment from driving it around the arena at beltring. so if you see a carrier named WELLAND give me a shout and jump in for a ride if you like.

rick

11 july 2011 023.JPG

11 july 2011 027.JPG

finally the old girl is up and running and moving around under her own steam, we've not finished it by any means but it looks good to me (on a dark night) and it can be finished at my leisure, the important thing is i can display it and maybe get some enjoyment from driving it around the arena at beltring. so if you see a carrier named WELLAND give me a shout and jump in for a ride if you like.

rick

Do you have a Bren gun to fit in the beastie?

andy i actually got the bren gun first, the carrier is just one of the accessories for it :D. with regard to carrier rides the offer is genuine and open to anyone, after all there's no point in driving it round empty.

all the best

rick

Good to see the old girl mobile again, sorry I am going to miss the first outing! From what I have heard just be careful of that point when warping turns into braking and you do a 180 in the arena :-). Search out Paul visser with his Loyd, you might blag a ride. Just say you sourced the gearbox for me...

• 2 weeks later...

hi fella's

took the carrier to beltring and with a little help from andy (ferretkit) we managed to get there in one peice, the original plan was to tow it down behind my van but luckily andy stepped in with his rb44 and although it was a long tiring drive the rb towed it without any worries and we got to the site at 4.30 am. the next 4 days passed in a blur and before we knew it it was time to head home, next year we'll have to stay for longer.

despite the carrier being far from battleworthy i decided to take it and had planned to work on it down there, however buggar all got done other than essential repairs to keep it running as by the time you've had a look around and spoke to a few people the day has gone before you know it and besides the restoration can wait but beltring only comes but once a year.

all the best

rick

beltring 2011 005.JPG

Eddy, Glad you got home safely, had to rush off from Beltring on Friday to beat the traffic home. On the MLu site we are getting some track pawl tension springs sent over from Australia, I noticed your carrier was fitted with these, I can get you a set of two if you like. In exchange for them i would like to borrow if possible one of your rubber gun firing rests with its metal tray, I have attached a pic of what i would like a lend of, also the radio valves spares box you mentioned you had as well which sits on the track guard on the drivers side, pic attached also, its the box to the right of the radio set.

with the two storage prongs on it. I can bring the springs up to you as i am up your way in a couple of weeks.

thanks kevin.

warandpeace2011 089.jpg

johncarrier4.jpg

driving your valentine john was the highlight of the show for me, i liked it so much i might just have to acquire one :cool2: although how you get in and out of the drivers seat is beyond me, it must take a lot of practice and the spine of a snake. by the way don't worry about the gear selector bracket as by the time you're ready to fit it to your carrier i'm sure we'll have met again at some event (beltring 2020):-D .

all the best

rick

ps. kev pm sent

yes that's right the trailer was from fletchers, £100 for 5 days hire which was a fair price just don't tell the guy we put a carrier on it or he won't let us borrow it again ;) by the way the 2 diamond t's are still in his yard gently rotting away !!!

rick