clansman radio

griff66

i have a basic intercom system in my ferret , a ib3 box then a cb2 box with 2 headsets running off that problem is one headset is alot quieter than the other , is it likely to be a headset problem or should each headset be fed from its own cb2 box ?. cheers.( headsets are clansman racal ones)

Edited by griff66

Whilst we're on the subject...

I've got two really nice ANR headsets with green pressels that I used in my 432. The difference in sound quality is amazing - especially as I don't hear too well - but I can't get them to work properly in the Ferret which has black faced Clansman boxes. I can receive but not transmit.

Any ideas - or is this kit compatible with the boxes? remove the pressel?

Help the deaf bloke - please!!

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Whilst we're on the subject...

I've got two really nice ANR headsets with green pressels that I used in my 432. The difference in sound quality is amazing - especially as I don't hear too well - but I can't get them to work properly in the Ferret which has black faced Clansman boxes. I can receive but not transmit.

Any ideas - or is this kit compatible with the boxes? remove the pressel?

You need to use the yellow front boxes, they are compatable with ARN headsets and the black ones aren't. You also need to use green pressels and not the black ones.

My green pressels work fine with black or yellow boxes. It appears to be that the ANR headsets (which do not work with black pressels) do not work unless you have yellow (ANR) boxes. These appeared in service c2000 - ie long after the last Ferrets had been retired from service.

I learned this after a lot of trial and error in my 432 and using the excellent info on the Ferret website (http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/intercoms_&_radios.htm). I was hoping that, as I can receive but not transmit with ANR headsets, there was some way of getting them to work. Sadly, it appears not!!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Personally I prefer the ANR system when its working correctly with all the right boxes and headsets its great. The black boxes r fine they do a job and visually they r correct but the yellow faced boxes work better on the road where it matters.

If you ignore the commander up top you're still going to get a belt in the back of the head with either system!

this place has loads of gear http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/home.php?cat=83 i have black faced boxes with green pressels with black switches on them am i right in saying they should be all black the pressels?

Black boxes, black pressels and most of the older type of headsets work correctly. I have used the helmets that r meant for use with black faced boxes with yellow fronted boxes and had unpleasant experience playing with the override switch on the IB2 box. When I rotated the override switch it omitted a loud beep on the headset which scared the c**p out of me and it beeping hurt as well.

In addition to the standard ANR headsets you will find some for sale without a microphone. These are for another, similar, ANR system which is fitted in the back of APCs. This system is connected to the main intercom, and depending on which position you have the switch in the guys in the back can either hear the intercom or just use the headsets for ANR. These headsets have a tethering cable and clip as well as a standard comms cable and the boxes have a hole for them to clip in to.

We have this system in the Spartan and it's quite good when taking passengers, its certainly quieter than the track noise.

Chris

Feb_2005 (16).JPG

In addition to the standard ANR headsets you will find some for sale without a microphone. These are for another, similar, ANR system which is fitted in the back of APCs. This system is connected to the main intercom, and depending on which position you have the switch in the guys in the back can either hear the intercom or just use the headsets for ANR. These headsets have a tethering cable and clip as well as a standard comms cable and the boxes have a hole for them to clip in to.

We have this system in the Spartan and it's quite good when taking passengers, its certainly quieter than the track noise.

Chris

I bought one by mistake new old stock. Can you connect that style of harness to the ib2/3 or does it need another box as an intermediary between the types?