Guy's Yard (Exeter)

Great War truck

When i fist joined the MVT in 1992, i was told of a remarkable clip of film from 1970 shown at the local MVT meeting. It showed a place in Exeter known as Guys yard which was packed full of interesting MV's.

Just received this link today which shows the same clip of film. Actually four clips of film each over ten minutes long. The yard has an incredible and diverse selection of MV's and lots of 20 somethings playing around with them. Not sure what happened to the MV's all but suspect they were mostly saved for preservation. Sadly the incredible line up of AFS K2's didnt make it and most (if not all) were scrapped.

This link should take you there. You will have to scroll to the bottom. It may take a while to work, but it is worth the wait

http://www.steamcar.net/past-cars.html

Some of you older ones may recognise the people here. I can identify just the one.

Enjoy.

Tim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i fist joined the MVT in 1992, i was told of a remarkable clip of film from 1970 shown at the local MVT meeting. It showed a place in Exeter known as Guys yard which was packed full of interesting MV's.

Just received this link today which shows the same clip of film. Actually four clips of film each over ten minutes long. The yard has an incredible and diverse selection of MV's and lots of 20 somethings playing around with them. Not sure what happened to the MV's all but suspect they were mostly saved for preservation. Sadly the incredible line up of AFS K2's didnt make it and most (if not all) were scrapped.

This link should take you there. You will have to scroll to the bottom. It may take a while to work, but it is worth the wait

http://www.steamcar.net/past-cars.html

Some of you older ones may recognise the people here. I can identify just the one.

Enjoy.

Tim

Anything to do with Charlie Mann ?

It is indeed Jeff Theobald. The other chap i recognise is i think Mr Greenwell (who had the original ENSA car belonging to Norman Wisdom). it is remarkable collection. Interesting to see a Kuble and Schwimer stored outside. There is an unusual tracked vehicle that you can see in the second clip. I cant quite put me finger on what it is, but it is something really quite different.

Tim

Great War truck

There is an unusual tracked vehicle that you can see in the second clip. I cant quite put me finger on what it is, but it is something really quite different.

I think it is a Canadian tracked Jeep (1st version by Willys overland) but it is difficult to see the suspension to be certain, there is a view of it next to the Universal carrier earlier in the 2nd clip.

Steve

Steve

I think you are right.

Tim

Well spotted, yes you are right, the tracked Jeep belonged to Mr Dinley of Bapty & Co, the film company armourers, it made an appearance at one of John Carters early MV rallies, dont know what happened to it then. I visited the yard about the time the films were shot, truly amazing collection, when the yard was forced to close with planning problems a lot the vehicles were moved to Charlie Manns museum in Cornwall, then subsequently Jeff Theobold moved with some of his vehicles to Warnham to assist Joe Lyndhurst open the Warnham war museum

item re the yard appears blank on all parts

I found that if I clicked the "start", then click "pause" to let it buffer for a while, it runs fine when you click "start" again....hope that helps.

Jeff looked just as I remembered him in those movies, I went to his vimeo page to see what else he has posted and was shocked to see a grey haired/bearded man looking back at me.... but there again I had a full head of flowing locks back then myself.

I lost touch when he sold up at warnham, I asked him once which ones of the many unrestored vehicles scattered around the field ran? "all of them" he said with a grin.

regards rog8811

I think it is a Canadian tracked Jeep (1st version by Willys overland) but it is difficult to see the suspension to be certain, there is a view of it next to the Universal carrier earlier in the 2nd clip.

Steve

Not long after i got the Jeep i met a local Devon chap who some of you might know. He did a lot of film driving for Charlie Mann and others. He went by the nickname of "Biggles" (something to do with the handlebar moustache), and was a great laugh. He told me about a show where the "Jeep tank" (his own words) made an appearance and wowed everyone. I had not heard about it or seen a picture of it until now. Looks great fun.

Anyone know anymore?

Tim

Just watched the third clip with plenty more footage of the "Jeep tank". A bit disconcerted to see him driving around the Moors at high speed in a Jeep. Even more disconcerted to see one of the CMP's on fire, then a Jeep on fire and then the Austin on fire. he seems to take it all in his stride though. Thinking about it, I think i will just go and check that the fire extinguisher in my Jeep still has pressure.

Tim

He told me about a show where the "Jeep tank" (his own words) made an appearance and wowed everyone. I had not heard about it or seen a picture of it until now. Looks great fun.

Anyone know anymore?

Tim,

I saw it at the MVT D-Day Show when it was held at Knebworth Park, in 1983. I have a feeling that Jim Dowdall may have had it there. I should have a photo somewhere.

Tim

did i miss something here the site came up fine from the link but the item re the yard appears blank on all parts and instructs you to click the start button but no image to start it, has it been removed

cheers

Les

Have you got it working yet? Worth persevering with. When i click on the link i have to leave it for a few minutes while it is buffering.

Some of the rarer vehicles on there are still around, I am certain. The Morris Commercial PU 4x4 was in Warnham and I have a feeling it is probably now living in Dorset. The Austin K6 Gantry, could well be the one that was at Warnham and much later on, it was one of two restored for the REME Museum. Looks like a Morris Commercial CDSW in use as a breakdown truck, with a full cab.

I like the period background music as well :-)

I must be three ha,pence short of a shilling here, i dont know what you guys are picking up on this film but all i get is a blank white box. As i said earlier i get the site OK and the photos down to the mini then the blank box ive tried all 4 to no effect and sat looking at each for 5 to 10 minutes, Tim mentioned wait while it buffers but i cant even find a start button to ignite the damn thing oh well dream on

Oh gosh. How frustrating must that be. Sorry to hear that. After five minutes it should start working. If nothing is popping up in the bottom left hand corner of the screen then something is defintely wrong.

How old is your computer?

Never mind. Come round my house for a couple of beers and you can watch it on mine.