Series 3 109 FFR Fusebox and Indicators

Hi All

As the thread says I have a problem with the indicators on the landy and I need to sort it out as it needs to be moved in a couple of weeks and I need to get them working, (I don't even have the clicking noise when activated) would this be a fuse or the relay if its a fuse which one is it in the fusebox (only 1 of 4) are they all the same ampage (as the operating manual says they are 35amps and what do the other fuses work and would they all be 35 amp or are they diffrent amps.

PLease note that you are talking to a complete novice when it comes to electronics on a vehicle (so the easier you can make it the better).:thanx:

Mark

I had a problem like this on an old landy that had been sat for a while , it turned out to be corroded bullet conectors in the wireing harness , all it needed was to pull the conectors apart and clean up with wire wool or sand paper ,, sometimes the fuses can get bad connections as well ,, also the relays can corrode inside if wet has got to them , wish you good luck with the problem as ellectrics can be quite daunting at the best of times , but are quite simple on old landys :)

Yep I would swap the fuses around first and see if the indicators comes on and something else goes off then it will be fuse.

Do the hazard lights work? Do the windscreen wipers work as the wipers are running off the same fuse.

Mind you still check the fuses as or swap them around as the first option.

If not a fuse :cry:

It is not uncommon for Land Rovers to have bad earths due to corrosion.

There could be 2 flasher units, hence I asked if the hazards are working, if not one. The if you have to get behind the dash, be careful screwing it back in as some bright spark (pun intended) designed the main loom so that it runs in the channel behind the dash. The dash screws work against the loom and at that point there is no fused protection so a screw in the loom results in the loom melting, smoke, fire, etc etc.

Hopefully its a fuse. One of those 24v electrical check pens are very useful at this point.

Yep I would swap the fuses around first and see if the indicators comes on and something else goes off then it will be fuse.

Do the hazard lights work? Do the windscreen wipers work as the wipers are running off the same fuse.

Mind you still check the fuses as or swap them around as the first option.

If not a fuse :cry:

It is not uncommon for Land Rovers to have bad earths due to corrosion.

There could be 2 flasher units, hence I asked if the hazards are working, if not one. The if you have to get behind the dash, be careful screwing it back in as some bright spark (pun intended) designed the main loom so that it runs in the channel behind the dash. The dash screws work against the loom and at that point there is no fused protection so a screw in the loom results in the loom melting, smoke, fire, etc etc.

Hopefully its a fuse. One of those 24v electrical check pens are very useful at this point.

Mike

Yes the Hazards lights do work and the wipers, Thats why i thought it must of been a fuse (also i did'nt know if they were on the same relay or not)

Thanks i will try that aswell and see what it was.

Mark

Mike

Yes the Hazards lights do work and the wipers, Thats why i thought it must of been a fuse (also i did'nt know if they were on the same relay or not)

Thanks i will try that aswell and see what it was.

Mark

MOD vehicles....... Mine had a seperate flasher unit for the hazard lights.

So if you swap the fuses around and they don't work the problem will be else where.

If elsewhere use a 24v test pen on the flasher unit as one of them should light up if the indicators are on. Look at that terminal and see if its corroded. Also the earth on that is normally the mounting screw so you can undo it and clean it up and screw it in.

If the flasher unit is working one terminal will flash.

A multimeter comes in handy also.

Best of luck.

It would help if you stated the age of your vehicle to get you onto the correct diagram. With these FFR's it is best to just disregard any comments unless it is from people who have some experience , you need a logical approach. You can not expect somebody to zero into the exact problem over the internet (sometimes it can be done).

One of the biggest problems after they have been in private ownership is wiring bodges , fair enough a good conversion to a true 12 volt ignition can be made but lighting services IMHO are best maintained as original specification , probably only consider shorting out the IR switch because it can be problematical and affects all lighting circuits.

Probably this is a good diagram for you to work to (the 109" diagrams are very similar to the Lightweights of same age) :-

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/Electrical/mine%2012V%20circuitNewA.jpg'>http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/Electrical/mine%2012V%20circuitNewA.jpg'>http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/Electrical/mine%2012V%20circuitNewA.jpg

First - check you have a live feed from the fuse to the hazard warning switch , then you need to understand the operation of the Infra-red circuit and how the IR (6RA) and Aux. (FV) relays work.

You could have a problem with the Aux. relay affecting feed. Obviously this can be negated by shorting the IR switch but it is best to confirm all services are operational before making this change and then check the results after to confirm.

The Hella Flasher unit and hazard switch are normally quite reliable.

The Infra-red switch (the one with the latch inhibitor) is known as a weak point but I have isolated this to a dry joint caused by corrosion on the rear washers that are staked NOT to any internal fault. A simple resistance or bell test on the switch folowing the instructions and a gentle tap to this washer will restore the connection. If you wish the IR switch can be shorted out and this will isolate parts of the circuit that you are never going to use and make fault tracing easier.

Probably it is best if you have a friend with some auto-electrical experience to read through the electrical and wiring sections of this site before proceeding :-

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/

Hi all

Thanks for all the comments its a 1977 109 FFR I have had someone look at the landy yesterday(who knows about vehicle electrics and we have found it is a wiring problem). As all the other lights work and we have no power going from the indicator arm to the Hella box, we have tested the arm and it does work so we know the wiring is the problem which we will be sorting out the next week or so (depending on the weather).

Thanks again all for you ideas.

Mark