Falklands CVR(T)s

Peter4456

Wow thats fantastic news, would love to see that again, would love to know how the hole in the hull was repaired

It does indeed still live. I'm the co-owner of it. It's truely fantastic to see the pics. Sounds like it's had a very eventful life, at the alvis show in August we met a previous crew member. He'd driven and commanded it in Catterick at some point. It had an engine fire as well while he was commanding it!

it obviously wasn't cast in the end as it was converted to a Sabre.

Barry

It does indeed still live. I'm the co-owner of it. It's truely fantastic to see the pics. Sounds like it's had a very eventful life, at the alvis show in August we met a previous crew member. He'd driven and commanded it in Catterick at some point. It had an engine fire as well while he was commanding it!

it obviously wasn't cast in the end as it was converted to a Sabre.

Barry

AWESOME, Wow, I simply cannot believe it, especially with the hull breach, not surprised it passed into civvy hands, but to be repaired well enough to go back into service, and to be converted to Sabre, have you ever had the engine out of it?

Guy

Just a few pictures has sparked a great interest! It must be a real joy to see in service pictures of your own wagon especially in a combat area must be gold! Most vehicles just seem to be on exercise or in storage:laugh:

Thanks again Guy

You just need to dig out a few of my tracked rapier:cheesy: to make me really happy!

Just a few pictures has sparked a great interest! It must be a real joy to see in service pictures of your own wagon especially in a combat area must be gold! Most vehicles just seem to be on exercise or in storage:laugh:

Thanks again Guy

You just need to dig out a few of my tracked rapier:cheesy: to make me really happy!

Mmmmmm tracked rapier, do you have the service records for it? VRN? Got some pics hidden away of tracked and towed rapier firing in the Hebs, 1985, 22 Ad Regt ;)

AWESOME, Wow, I simply cannot believe it, especially with the hull breach, not surprised it passed into civvy hands, but to be repaired well enough to go back into service, and to be converted to Sabre, have you ever had the engine out of it?

Guy

When we got it there was no engine in it. We put a mod recon in. I have a few pics of it with the engine bay empty. This is my first experience of a cvrt so I don't know how they should look. I'll try and post them up later.

Thanks Barry, thats very interesting, there is no sign of any repair, going to do some digging on this as, I cannot see changing the whole belly plate as being feasible, quite a bit of work solving this puzzle, I dont suppose you have the service records for this do you?

Guy

Barry,

I would expect the hull number to be more like 79 than 9? Given the registration number is 02FD76 and the earliest number I know of is 01FD96.

Chris

I apologise, my memory is getting worse!

Just checked my photos and its SCO 60, very clear even on a photo! I know many are unreadable.

barry

There are more pictures appearing on FB posted by Paul Stretton. I have asked him how we can load them over here and await to see if he will join of he will allow me to post on his behalf.

The details that are coming out on FB are expanding, we are now seeing the first images of Combat Engineer Tractors in use up front and the damage sustained.

Robin

• 2 years later...

02FD92 (now wearing a Sabre turret) made it's way through Withams and on the the United States.  I saw it a couple years back in a very sorry state.  The fellow doesn't want to sell but also hasn't touched it in a decade or more.

02FD92 sabre back.JPG

Edited by teletech

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone - recently 03FD38 has come into my care -I see there’s a photo of her getting loaded into HMS Fearless in this thread and I would love to hear any further /all information relating to her and her service . 

look forward to hearing from you all 

frank 

• Like 1