Elf & safetee

fv1609

My MUTT was on the display as a favour. I was in the photographers bunker at the time of the incident. I am assured it was accidental and know this to be the case.

MB

I'll believe you....thousands wouldn't:-D

My MUTT was on the display as a favour. I was in the photographers bunker at the time of the incident. I am assured it was accidental and know this to be the case.

MB

my Stall was about eighty yards from this vehicle. I was informed that it was intended to have something inside smouldering to produce black smoke. It was representitive of Kosovo/ Bosnia in a 'troubled Incident'.

Unfortunately, it got out of hand a little & went up.

What amusesd me, was the eventual overkill of 'Fire engine Re-Enactors' who turned up to put the fire out.

There must have been at least six or seven hoses trained on it & continued to be soaked for about 15 minuites.

we thought they were going to wash it into the nearby stream!

Still, with an actual fire to tackle & the fact that some of these engines /pumps only get out about once a year.

I suppose it's also the answer as to why they had to constantly sound thier sirens as much as they could at the slightest oppertunity!! :whistle: (ALL ROUND THE SHOWGROUND!)

To be fair, they are not re-enactors. There are serving firefighters involved and the H & S aspect is, sorry for the pun; a hot issue. They don't have any choice. They had to deal with several incidents this year including people using open fires as bbqs in the stalls and even a kid setting fire to hay bails with matches. Despite the weather being biblical on occasions (too blimmin' many for me) I was with Fred Cornwell the pryo king and he was deeply concerned about fires in the arena on the Sunday.

It illustrates the dangers. If they used a degree of overkill then I'd say they felt there was a reason. Sirens did get to be a pain at times - just like that bloody helicopter. A rule went out to stop other non emergency vehicle owners using sirens and flashing lights to avoid confusion. So in my opinion the fire team, the medics, wasp zappers and all the others did a bloody good job.

The idea to have a bit of a small burn up of the pick up truck suffered from that degree of the unplanned which is why the show has a volunteer fire team. I know what I'd prefer having on site and it was there for us.

MB

To be fair, they are not re-enactors. There are serving firefighters involved and the H & S aspect is, sorry for the pun; a hot issue. They don't have any choice. They had to deal with several incidents this year including people using open fires as bbqs in the stalls and even a kid setting fire to hay bails with matches. Despite the weather being biblical on occasions (too blimmin' many for me) I was with Fred Cornwell the pryo king and he was deeply concerned about fires in the arena on the Sunday.

It illustrates the dangers. If they used a degree of overkill then I'd say they felt there was a reason. Sirens did get to be a pain at times - just like that bloody helicopter. A rule went out to stop other non emergency vehicle owners using sirens and flashing lights to avoid confusion. So in my opinion the fire team, the medics, wasp zappers and all the others did a bloody good job.

The idea to have a bit of a small burn up of the pick up truck suffered from that degree of the unplanned which is why the show has a volunteer fire team. I know what I'd prefer having on site and it was there for us.

MB

Fair enough Markey! I didnt know they were regular fulltimers! It just looked a bit much with (eventualy) three pumps & six hundered hoses all flushing away!!!:-D

H&S is, I am aware, an important issue. I guess better safe than sorry,

excellent choice on banning NON essential siren usage!!

The Chopper noise didnt bother me at all. Im sure Heliops enjoyed it all! :cool2:

As regards BBQ's, well, some people cannot function on common sense!

I enjoyed what i saw of the show. but as I said, I was tied to the stall.

So, couldnt get away to enjoy all of it & link up with more of the forum buddies! :-(

A very valid comment was the lack of running water in the toilets in Americas field though. health & Safety = Health & Hygine!!! Toilets there wernt too bad when I 'attended'.BUT, i have my own now & am actively seeking a shower tent & equipment, so I am totally inependant next year!

Mike.

...to stop other non emergency vehicle owners using sirens and flashing lights to avoid confusion.

Yes I do agree, not only is it a damn nuisance from a noise point of view but it devalues the authority of sirens & blue lights. I would have hoped owners of preserved emergency vehicles would grasp the idea that such devices are there only to be operated in the circumstances of a genuine emergency.

I remember at a show some years ago a friend who was a trained fireman had his fire appliance & was providing official fire cover. A vehicle caught fire which was of course of immense fascination to the public. Despite the presence of a modern red appliance trying to push through the crowd, with lights & siren it proved very difficult for him to make much headway.

In fact it took so long that the fire was put out by those at the scene using vehicle extinguishers.

I had to argue my way through the crowd in front of the appliance. Many were annoyed because they wanted to have a good view of the fire. Most disregarded the lights & siren as they thought it was someone just playing, as most of the weekend sirens had been going of willy nilly.

So I really think owners of emergency service vehicle should think carefully about pratting around with their lights & sirens at such events.

[quote name= :-(

A very valid comment was the lack of running water in the toilets in Americas field though. health & Safety = Health & Hygine!!! .

Totally agree. I was told by a perplexed official that the owners of the Hop Farm have assumed control of this aspect from the event organisers. I was told that someone speaking for the owners was annoyed people in Americas Field were using sinks to wash in when they were not for that purpose (my definition because I cannot quote verbatim). Avoiding an opportunity for some facetiousness - the meaning being, these sinks were for handwashing post loo visit and not for general hygiene. My personal feeling is that trying to invoke such a ruling, if true, is impossible and puts the event in poor light. The organisers and site owners can never mitigate for the often appalling personal behaviour of some individuals; but they must consider the well behaved majority and I think they do reasonably well. I think the washing facilities remain open to serious question. But will it stop me going? No.

MB

Mike,

Surely your stall should have been in the stalls area? I thought there was a ban on stalls in the displays area?

I saw several large stalls in the display area trading all week, so I don't think there was a ban.

On the other hand, the number of underage riders of Quad bikes seem to diminish during the week. Was there a clampdown on these? If so, this I support as I feel these were an accident waiting to happen.

& I didn't see a single Pikey in the 3 weeks I was there :-D

I did. Plenty of them. The security for around the beer tent this year was appalling. Last year there was proper fencing all the way round,and you had to display your wrist band on entry.

This year that all went out the window. No checking of wrist bands,and the fellas that were manning the entry were a joke. All and sundry were walking in,including the local pikey inhabitants. There were fights on a nightly basis. Either in the beer tent area or in the living history field.