Bedford OXC

Well work has finally started on the Bedford (at last!) planning on taking a couple of years to complete this one so will keep a log on here so i dont forget what i've already done :?

First job - remove all the brakes as we need to move the vehicle from it current location. Amazingly everything has come undone, even more amazingly the hubs were not even seized to the shoes. All the shoes are like new as are the bearings :-)even the slave cylinders were not rusted solid, pretty good for a truck that has not been touched for the best part of years.

Next the doors came off, once again all came undone thanks to a ton of grease on all the fittings, we even found the sliding window handle in the cab afetr sweeping the crud out :-D

not bad a couple of hours work and not a gas axe in sight!

found some wheels recently on another local farm :-D, just need to finalise the deal for them ready to move the truck.

Next time, on with some wheels and off with the cab hopefully

Baz

S4020342.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

S4020338.jpg

Edited by Bodger Baz

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Baz,

As Rick's already said,.a good project, there...........

From the pic, that shows underbonnet, looks like you've got the correct air filter,.................something missing from most bedfords, and replaced by 'civi', carb top jobs,..................(which DO make getting to dizi a LOT easier. :whistle:)

All the best, and look forward to updates.

Andy

Cheers guys.

The guy i got the vehicle from found a picture today of the Bedford on the same axle stands over 25 years ago! will try to to borrow and scan to post.

The vehicle (luckily) has never been used since leaving the army, it was bought by the last owner from Blackbushe auctions, with seized engine and without wheels! and that is exctly as it has stayed, love it. he also bought a couple of spare engines (MOD refurb) that have come with the truck, sweet :-D :-D

Baz

• 4 weeks later...

managed a few more bits and bobs this week, got my wheels from the farm and picked up my excellent find of three front tyres :-D.

got the wheels on the bedford so we could move it from the barn it has been in for years into the next barn so we have electrics and a concrete floor to work on, sheer luxury!!!

Removed the brush gaurd from the front and almost got the wings of but not quite.

It looks a lot smaller now its on wheels, need some rear tyres of anyone knows where i can get some 10.50x16 track grip or similar?

there is a few OY bits being listed in mvt greensheet, inc tyres, at the mo.

also there is a thread running re 10.50x16's on here, ...............

good luck, (from someone who's looking for a road pattern tread, in 900x16)

Andy

God. I remember dozens of these as a kid. They were used in Jersey to transport the Jersey Royal new spuds to the docks in the days when they were shipped in wooden drums. all were painted grey. No idea what happened to them or the DUKWs that for years were used to take tourists to Elizabeth Castle.

Yes Nigel, for many years a company called Puddleduck provided the service. their vehicles were special build in Germany somewhere, don't know who though. This year another company has taken over but I haven't seen the new vehicles. I've decided I want to go Tomb Raider and get a LARC.

• 2 weeks later...

flying ahead now! managed to get sa few more bits and bobs done. got the front bumper, panel and radiator out. Wings are a bit rotten but managed to pick up a pair out of CMV this week, sweet :-D

Radiator came out with ease and looks to be in quite good nick. Picked up a couple more wheels as well.

found the rebuild plate on the engine and radiator, i love finding this sort of thing, gives it a proper history.

Any ideas where i might find the chassis number?

Baz, a request, :-)

I see you've got the origional OX air filter assy, (same as my MW), is there any chance you can take a pic of the cast elbow on the drivers side and its fixing to bulkhead ??

My chassis no is on plate underneath passenger door, by air compresser.

All the best,

Andy

while were at it, who can help out with the markings?

i think its Royal Army Ordnance Corp, southern division, can any one shed further light on the subject, would be greatly appreciated.

Baz

Royal Artillery Southern Command, markings. Baz.

(RAOC is red both sides of a black center; same no of stars)

Basically units grouped under this heading were used to defend this island,......well lower half, anyways.

Nice marking,..............certainly DON'T see vehicles carrying markings such as these, about.

Royal Artillery Southern Command, markings. Baz.

(RAOC is red both sides of a black center; same no of stars)

Sorry Lee Enfield,

Must take you to task here, it is RAOC Southern Command, check out the other sign, vertical stripes of red-blue-red (RA is blue-red in vertical stripes)

COSD, I think this is Command Ordnance Supply Depot and the wording underneath, could well be Aldershot, which would fit in with Southern Comd. These signs would date from the 1950's era.

Sorry Lee Enfield,

Must take you to task here, it is RAOC Southern Command, check out the other sign, vertical stripes of red-blue-red (RA is blue-red in vertical stripes)

COSD, I think this is Command Ordnance Supply Depot and the wording underneath, could well be Aldershot, which would fit in with Southern Comd. These signs would date from the 1950's era.

nice one cheers guys, excellent to know the truck was local before leaving the service

Baz

Sorry Lee Enfield,

Hi Richard,..............Quite Right, re R.A markings,..............that will teach me to check before pressing submit button, :roll: :whistle:

However,...........RAOC is red black red,.............well pic I'm looking at, is.......the marking on wing is red blue red. :dunno:

• 1 month later...

managed a bit more work on the ol gal, got the wings off, airfilter and steering wheel

dug out the spare engine, can anyone tell me if this is 214 Cubic inch 28hp or is it the later 300Cui? it was prserved in 1977, the only difference i can see is the oil filter and inlet manifold. I have never worked on these bedford engines so really dont know much about them.

Baz

Hi Baz,

Your engine,..............certainly is (slightly)different, ancilleries wise, to my 28hp, different 'oil filter',- if indeed that is what it is, engine pic 2, sitting below dynamo................mines mounted a lot higher, and of narrower construction.

pic 3, not sure what it is, (item mounted beneath coil), 'cept to say, I've not got one on mine. :dunno:

How does it compare to the one fitted in lorry ??

OOps,................ :roll: just seen you've mentioned oil filter :whistle:

dug out the spare engine, can anyone tell me if this is 214 Cubic inch 28hp or is it the later 300Cui? it was prserved in 1977, the only difference i can see is the oil filter and inlet manifold. I have never worked on these bedford engines so really dont know much about them.

Baz,

That engine brings back memories! It is a 214 ci, a late one at that, going by the oil filter, and it was rebuilt by 44 Command Workshop REME, Ashford, in 1977. How do I know that, because I was a fitter there and spent time building these 214, 300, 330 diesels and a number of other types. Memory tells me they were for VAS coaches, Hawson bodied vans, J type ambulances, etc., all had slight variations on them. I fitted a slightly later rebuild 214 in to a MW, trouble was, the new engine was for a TK and the bell housing did not have mountings on the lower sides, had to swap the original plus starter and flywheel. These engines are 100 bhp against the 72 bhp that the 28 hp gives out, so you will notice the difference.

Sweet, if i have any troubles with it i konw who to call :-D

When you fitted one in the MW did you use the oil filter as on the later engine or change to the earlier one?

Hi Baz,

Left the new filter on, the elements are off the shelf and cheap. There is a metal tray that fits between the chassis and engine on the MW, probably the same on the OX (not sure), but I left it off as it makes servicing a bit awkward and I think it would have to be cut for the filter. Only real problem I had was the top hose connection, it was not at a good angle to connect to the rad, I had to make a special pipe to join them. This was only because the owner did not wish to alter the radiator, in case it was ever put back to the 28hp engine. Again this was an engine built to fit a TK, from looking at you bell housing, I would think yours was for a J type.