WW2 British 1 Ton 2wheel GS Trailer

Ian L

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a c**k up here !!!!! I have a nice original NOS T plate in its original packet but used a different T plate to drill the holes so guess what. the holes are in different positions by about 4mm so I will need to paint out the white edging.

DSC02749.JPG

DSC02755.JPG

Superb job Ian!

Like the colour, agree it is lighter than the green I use from R&R for NW Europe British.

See you in Guernsey?

Hi John thanks, is the green correct ? it looks a bit darker than the photos show.

Are you camping with the organised group in Guernsey or doing your own thing ? I've only got 3 working days left to finish the trailer, dig the Morris C8 out of storage/test drive it and get the 16H back on the road all before the 3rd May.:sweat:

Hi John thanks, is the green correct ? it looks a bit darker than the photos show.

Are you camping with the organised group in Guernsey or doing your own thing ? I've only got 3 working days left to finish the trailer, dig the Morris C8 out of storage/test drive it and get the 16H back on the road all before the 3rd May.:sweat: [/quote

Who really knows what the "correct green is? I always feel that the R&R NW Europe green I use looks quite "green" (if that makes sense) and dark, but they are adamant its correct.

Do you paint in the early hours because:

1. The owners of the spray booth don't know.......; or

2. Its booked during the day and they let you have a special night rate? ;)

Guernsey: yes camping and on the organised group. Went five years ago and very well organised and arranged by Paul Bourgaize.

[/quote

Who really knows what the "correct green is? I always feel that the R&R NW Europe green I use looks quite "green" (if that makes sense) and dark, but they are adamant its correct.

The best reference for colours around are probably Mike Starmer's self published books - particularly the one for North West Europe in our case. They include precisely matched colour chips.

see: http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_starmer.htm

Having said that - although there were standard SCC colour charts issued to manufacturers, I suspect interpretation differed from manufacturer to manufacturer - if my experience of trying to match the current standard 298 olive drab from one manufacturer to another is anything to go by.......

Are you camping with the organised group in Guernsey or doing your own thing ? I've only got 3 working days left to finish the trailer, dig the Morris C8 out of storage/test drive it and get the 16H back on the road all before the 3rd May.:sweat: [/quote

Do you paint in the early hours because:

1. The owners of the spray booth don't know.......; or

2. Its booked during the day and they let you have a special night rate? ;)

Guernsey: yes camping and on the organised group. Went five years ago and very well organised and arranged by Paul Bourgaize.

Ha ha #2 John, both booths are fully booked all day but as my son is a partner in the business after 18:00 and every ones gone home it free for me ;)

Post war as a generator trailer it had a canvas cover for weather protection, I have only seen one diagram in a book so my effort was purely guess work.

It looks a bit tall & 'odd' in the photos but it was made to be the same height as the C8, and for ease of getting motor bikes inside and we are using it as a 'tent' so the extra height makes life easier.

DSC02772.JPG

DSC02773.JPG

DSC02775.JPG

DSC02776.JPG

DSC02774.JPG

Took the C8 & trailer for a test run today, only one more 'off' day before going to Guernsey liberation 70th in 10 days so got it ready just in time. will finish it when we get home.

DSC02781.JPG

DSC02782.JPG

DSC02777.JPG

DSC02776.JPG

Edited by Ian L

I've managed to find all N.O.S electrical fittings the same as the one's that I removed but I have no idea what the twin wiring connector does on the 'A' frame ? :confused: what's its purpose ?

Hi Ian,

I've never found one of the twin connectors on a trailer but have bought them NOS when I've seen them in the past.....as they looked to be similar design the the usual lightweight trailer single connectors.

One is pictured as "Trailer Connector Lucas Type WD/TCI" in the ID List W.O. Code No 5461, but I'm not sure why you'd want a twin socket connector that takes two sockets.

Perhaps Richard F will come along and explain.

Look forward to having a closer look at the trailer in Guernsey

Hi Ian,

I've never found one of the twin connectors on a trailer but have bought them NOS when I've seen them in the past.....as they looked to be similar design the the usual lightweight trailer single connectors.

One is pictured as "Trailer Connector Lucas Type WD/TCI" in the ID List W.O. Code No 5461, but I'm not sure why you'd want a twin socket connector that takes two sockets.

John,

The socket is not listed in the 1943 Vocab and I am wondering if they are in fact postwar and to feed brake lights, if fitted to the trailer (the term "Trailer Connector" would indicate it was on the vehicle). I recollect someone telling me they were fitted to the early Series 1 Land Rovers in army service.

regards, Richard

Hi Ian,

Hi John I was going to fit the twin socket because that's what it had on it and so did 2 of my bowsers but all 3 trailers had postwar rebuilds so on reflection perhaps I should fit the single WW2 socket instead.

P.S. I phoned you on Thursday evening and left a voice message, did you get it John ? regards Ian